PDA

View Full Version : Answer for those looking for upgraded clutchs

Mante
07-10-2004, 12:35 AM
Recently I was awarded sponsorship with Exedy corp. I didnt believe it until a heavy box appeared on my door step...thats right a nice stage 3 clutch was waiting for me :)

I requested to recieve the same part # for the Evo 8 here in the U.S. ironically it is identical to the stock pressure plate and flywheel. When I mean identical Im refering to same bolt pattern same number of fingers on the pressure plate. So now instead of buying stock clutches you guys now have another option Vs using the clutch disk from a rx7. At least the Evo's a awd car so it shares the same pain as our Vr4's do..

Stay tuned for updates

valmes
01-03-2005, 02:16 PM
Sorry to bring it up... but did I get it right, we can use clutch upgrade options for EVO8?

I've got an AP Racing 2xCeramic clutch set... it's same 7 bolts pattern as ours, but I will have to remove my gerabox to find out for sure if it fits, or doesnt. It's from an EVO3...

BraindG
01-03-2005, 02:37 PM
Also remember Exedy supply clutches to HKS, Cusco, AP Racing, Nismo etc.
So, don't go buying from brands.. get them from exedy themselves and pocket the change

AllBeItMine
01-03-2005, 06:51 PM
i got a quote for upgrading my clutch and they told me a good option would be the evo8 setup. but you need the flywheel as well.

so yeah, it definitely fits in there.

Mante
02-03-2005, 01:52 AM
i got a quote for upgrading my clutch and they told me a good option would be the evo8 setup. but you need the flywheel as well.

so yeah, it definitely fits in there.

yes definately get hte flywheel as well, you sort of loose top end momentum but the ease and speed going through the gears/rpm's is damn near amazing!

Valmes Im not sure about the evo3 even though its possibly the same thing my setup is off the evo 8 but like Brind mentioned its easier just getting it directly from exedy

valmes
02-03-2005, 02:50 AM
Thanks Mante, BraindG and AllBeItMine.

I was offered a good deal on the AP Racing Twin-Plate Ceramic Clutch set (it's new and flywheel included) for only 500$.
New Exedy Twin-Plate Clutch for Mitsubishi EVO VIII goes for 1350$.

So I might try the brand after all :)

What worries me is its 400HP rating... will it hold to 550? ;)

Mante
02-03-2005, 03:48 AM
Thanks Mante, BraindG and AllBeItMine.

I was offered a good deal on the AP Racing Twin-Plate Ceramic Clutch set (it's new and flywheel included) for only 500$.
New Exedy Twin-Plate Clutch for Mitsubishi EVO VIII goes for 1350$.

So I might try the brand after all :)

What worries me is its 400HP rating... will it hold to 550? ;)

If it is rated at 400hp (I thought they rated them in torque?? ) it shouldnt even come close to handling it. A twin plate clutch should easily handle the 550 you want to dish at it at least the exedy does. Think about it like this... If your doig the clutch job yourself do you really want to drop the trans on a hope that it will hold OR be safe spend alot more and install something thats ment to handle hell or abuse. Ive done the clutch job twice...and I hate it! Push come to shove I'd personally find out as much as you can about the AP setup. Then compare the compounds of each go from there....

dickytim
02-03-2005, 06:27 AM
I want to hear more about this RX-7 clutch thing, what can any one tell me, Strait fit, any mods what model RX-7 is it from ?

valmes
02-03-2005, 07:03 AM
Same flywheel bolt pattern, but doesn’t fit on the box side... so AP Racing clutch set for EVO 3 is no go. At least not for VR-4.

What do you think of this:HKS MAX Twin Plate Clutch Kit for EVO VIII (http://www.lancershop.com/customer/product.php?productid=62&cat=6&page=1)?

Mante
03-03-2005, 01:58 AM
What do you think of this:HKS MAX Twin Plate Clutch Kit for EVO VIII

"Yesterday 08:37 AM
BraindG Also remember Exedy supply clutches to HKS, Cusco, AP Racing, Nismo etc.
So, don't go buying from brands.. get them from exedy themselves and pocket the change "

valmes
03-03-2005, 10:27 AM
Yeah, yeah... I've heard it. Go Exedy! But sometime I get offers from people who are selling their bits off, for considerably less (new AP Racing clutch for 500$ is one example..) and that’s the reason I asked this question, cause had an offer for HKS clutch for 1000$ (that’s about 350$ less than same Exedy setup). Thanks for re-mentioning it, anyway... ;)

Mante
04-03-2005, 02:46 AM
Yeah, yeah... I've heard it. Go Exedy! But sometime I get offers from people who are selling their bits off, for considerably less (new AP Racing clutch for 500$ is one example..) and that’s the reason I asked this question, cause had an offer for HKS clutch for 1000$ (that’s about 350$ less than same Exedy setup). Thanks for re-mentioning it, anyway... ;)

I know how it is when you find a good deal :) But I couldnt willingly tell you to go ahead and buy something with your hard earned money if I cant stand behind it.

valmes
04-03-2005, 11:58 AM
Thanks Mante... will save up for Exedy. Hopefully will get it next month from one of the US online shops - can you recomend any?
Btw, how is it going with DSMLink guys? Have they started working on your ECU?

Mante
05-03-2005, 01:11 AM
Thanks Mante... will save up for Exedy. Hopefully will get it next month from one of the US online shops - can you recomend any?
Btw, how is it going with DSMLink guys? Have they started working on your ECU?

Let me know exactly which one your interested in and I'll ask the guys there @ exedy/diakin. I havent heard a word from the guys at dsmlink they say they ahve so many projects going on that they would not be able to give our cars the time they deserve...blah

AllBeItMine
05-03-2005, 01:24 AM
hey Mante - once you work out which exeddy clutch you go for can you let us know the details ie, part numbers or whatever it is that they call it. I would be interested to know what the cost is from my supplier here in auckland.

cheers,

ako
05-03-2005, 03:47 AM
I've always just assumed that since your gearbox is evo 4-6 spec, is the clutch not the same?

I've used an evo 1-3 clutch setup no worries on a 7G. Someone with caps - want to check part numbers for an evo 4-6 clutch bits compared to the 6A13? If its the same setup, then theres any number of packages out there.

Just remember -its normally, but not always, cheaper to just "build your own" clutch up. I went for just a heavy duty disk, but bloody heavy pressure plate on my last one - meant that it had close to stock driveablility through traffic, but itd grab like a student to a $5 note when you were fanging it. There's no way I'd go to a ceramic faced or twin plate clutch unless there was absolutely no alternative, I HATE on/off clutches. Plus the fact I'd much rather sacrifice a clutch disk, than have a gearbox decide to pack a sad.

But hey, everyones got their own way of doing things.

valmes
05-03-2005, 08:03 AM
2 Mante
I've been reading through 3S forums and it seems like those guys(3KGT&StealthTT) are using SPEC clutches a lot, even on cars that go low 11s. Although the attitude toward this company is somewhat mixed, they either love it or hate it :/)... From what I understand it is not a ceramic clutch, not "on/off" type, but can handle a lot more power/torque than stock. The best part is pricing! Check it out:SPEC STAGE1-5 Clutch Kits (http://www.jscspeed.com/evo/clutch/spec.htm) or here

What do you think?
PS: There is also ACT HD Street Disc Clutch Kit (Torque capacity of up to 497 lb-ft ) (http://www.stillen.com/sportscars_detail.asp?id=42779)

Mante
06-03-2005, 04:29 AM
I went for just a heavy duty disk, but bloody heavy pressure plate on my last one - meant that it had close to stock driveablility through traffic, but itd grab like a student to a $5 note when you were fanging it. There's no way I'd go to a ceramic faced or twin plate clutch unless there was absolutely no alternative, I HATE on/off clutches. Plus the fact I'd much rather sacrifice a clutch disk, than have a gearbox decide to pack a sad.

I to would rather sacrifice the clutch disk vs the trans that one fact got me out of "side stepping" the clutch for the much safer slipping it. Grant it I love the feel of reving up to 5k then sliding my foot off the clutch...spin all the way through first then churp second. When its time for a new setup Im still clueless on what Im going to go with..

Valmes: Act clutches never did to well for the Evo owners I personally know. If you want to keep your vr4 drivable you may also want to stay away from 3 puk/wing disc's very rough ingaugement (ms) your left leg will be screaming /help

dickytim
06-03-2005, 04:33 AM
has any one here thaught if using a Centreforce clutch, I have heard some good reports form some 300zx guys who love them, any one got any thaughts ?

ako
06-03-2005, 06:35 AM
I've driven a few cars with owners who went for clutches WAY above what they really needed. I.e - going for 5 puck ceramic clutches on cars lucky to pull a 13 second 1/4, or twin plate quatermaster clutches in lightweight but not that powerful evos.. End result - cars that were a lot less user friendly, broke more driveline components (twisted input shafts, axles, sad differentials etc), and owners who always kicked themself when my heavier, more powerful car made a much more "allegedly" downrated clutch last for 12 months and a LOT of abuse.

Put it this way, in my books, a clutch makes a useful fuse. Unless I had a car that was THAT powerful or heavy that it necessitated something 500hp proof, I wouldn't go overkill... In fact, its the one part of a car I'd be happy to under-spec. Although, I do all my own labour on clutches etc - spending a weekend changine a clutch is nothing, whereas if you're paying someone labour for it, then things get looked at a little differently.

Also - even though a clutch may be rated for, say 400hp or whatever, thats just a rough guideline. 400hp in a 2 ton 4WD is a vastly different load on the clutch to a 400 hp, 1 ton RWD car. Best place to get asvice on what clutch for what power for most on this forum would be any of the 3000GT / GTO forums, theyve got the same big power / big weight issue most on here have.

Just remember - if you dump the clutch, SOMETHING somewhere is going to HAVE to slip. Be it tyres, a clutch disk - or god forbid, 1st gear deciding it doesnt need teeth anymore. The amount of car I've seen chew through centre differentials or axles is what always makes me think twice about just which clutch to get..

Mante
06-03-2005, 11:40 AM
1st gear deciding it doesnt need teeth anymore.

That sounds painful lol. That is exactly what happened to a 9 second evo I watched...

valmes
06-03-2005, 12:50 PM
That info came from www.3Si.org
They do use Spec stage 2,3,4 a lot.

Here copied and pasted one post:

Originally posted by MaTT at 3Si on 02-20-2005, 05:32 AM
spec3 clutch and DSM intercoolers are good!
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Mainly I want to thank Steve at 3SX for providing a great race clutch. I've had many many different clutches over the 9 years of 3S ownership and I have been most impressed with the spec clutches. My spec2 lasted for 18k miles and over 100 launches. I just got done breaking in my spec 3! The best part about both of these is the peddle pressure. I swear I'm driving a stock car! Its so nice. Also there is NO CHATTER! I hate chatter!
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

11.64 1/4 mile... :rolleyes4
There are a lot of posts giving thumbs up for SPEC clutches.

2AKO
Simple math really:
~810 Practical CFM, 900CFM at choke point
~6x650cc

Well, I don't think upgraded clutch would be an "overkill" on that setup...

VR4HOAR
22-04-2005, 02:52 AM
[QUOTE=valmes]That info came from www.3Si.org
Also there is NO CHATTER! I hate chatter!
QUOTE]

Chatter? Is that likely to be the rattly noise from my legnum when the clutch is in? It apparently has a racing clutch of some description but I wouldn't know it if it bit me in the arse. :smug: (Also, its not on the road yet so haven't had a chance to drive it much)

Louis
22-04-2005, 12:04 PM
HI folks,
I have been watching this with interest and just wanted to check etc.

Is it 100% sure that an uprated clutch package for an EVO 8 will fit any 6A13 VR4, if the EVO 8 flywheel is used?

And an uprated clutch package for an RX7 will fit any 6A13 VR4, if the EVO 8 flywheel is used?

Also does this mean that an RX7 can use an EVO 8 package? (is the EVO 8 flywheel still needed, will it bolt to an RX7 block? or will it fit with the origional RX7 flywheel?).

Cheers Louis

Mante
22-04-2005, 09:50 PM
HI folks,
Is it 100% sure that an uprated clutch package for an EVO 8 will fit any 6A13 VR4, if the EVO 8 flywheel is used?

YES...a used flywheel?? you may want to have it milled to insure "flatness" sorry for loose of the technical word.

BraindG
08-08-2005, 10:10 AM
So, just to double check,,, ill need an EVO8 Clutch AND Flywheel before it fits?

valmes
11-08-2005, 02:58 AM
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------Original Message-----
To: sales@specclutch.com
Subject: SPEC Info

Hi
I am looking for an upgraded clutch for my 1997 JDM Legnum(Galant) VR-4
(2.5TwinTurbo 4WD 5MT\).
There are different opinions as to what can be fitted... Someone said
flywheel+clutch set for EVOVIII combo will fit... Right now only OSG
produces "bolt on" upgrade - 2x disk ceramic, but at price well over 2000$ in Japan.
What info would you require to confirm what set would fit our cars... There
are plenty of people in UK an NZ who are looking for upgraded clutch option
for our cars. Thank you in advance.
www.clubVR4.com
------------------------------------------------------------------------------

*** I hope you don't mind I placed a question like this... from Club VR-4?

Here is the answer:
"Yes, word is the EVO VII was the proper assembly. The EVO VIII is basically
the same. I prefer the EVO VIII setup, which we have in stock, flywheel and
7 stages of clutches. We can support just about any drivability and tq
capacity level, so let me know how much power you plan to put down and how
you want it to feel and I will make a recommendation.

Thanks!

David Norton
S.P.E.C., inc
800-828-4379
205-491-8593-fax
sales@specclutch.com
www.specclutch.com"

So come up with questions... look at the last sentence.

valmes
11-08-2005, 05:12 PM
Nobody's interested in low priced quality Clutch upgrade option? Ok.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------Original Message-----
To: David Norton
Subject: Re[2]: SPEC Info

Hello David,

I am aiming at mainly street use of ~ 500-550BHP range and of course some
occasional drag-strip runs.

As to drivability, if it is used on the street - everyone wants it to be "as
easy as stock to engage" and to "hold all the power"... but, what options do
you have anyway?

If you can quote prices for your kits along with HP/TQ ratings, that would
be helpful. I might be aiming at one power level, others are going for
something different.

280BHP - stock,
315-320BHP usual,
360-400BHP limit for stock turbos/fuel supply.

BTW do you sell your clutch kits directly? Can you ship them
internationally?

Thanks.
Val.
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------

To: "'Val V'" <cvr4@mail.ru>
Subj: RE: Re[2]: SPEC Info

"The stage 3 plus, pn SM803F, is the choice for your car. Drive great and
will hold 500-550 tq just fine. It has a full faced carbon semimetallic
disc and high clamp plate. It drives great and is manageable.
For the 400 BHP street cars, the popular unit is the st2+, pn SM803H. It
drives almost like stock and takes the abuse.
We do sell direct and ship internationally.

David Norton
S.P.E.C., inc
800-828-4379
205-491-8593-fax
sales@specclutch.com
www.specclutch.com"
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------

Stage II or Stage III kit.
Includes high clamp Pressure plate, full-faced carbon-metallic friction, high torque sprung hub and disk assembly, bearing and tool kit - 599$ :rolleyes4
Aluminum flywheel - 479$

BraindG
11-08-2005, 05:24 PM
thats interesting.. 599$ for both flywheel and clutch :rolleyes4 and it is cheaper direct that from that other place!...

hmmm.. /Hmmm - think ill get it direct, cos thats seems a good deal to me!

valmes
11-08-2005, 05:39 PM
No. Flywheel is 479$. Kit is 599$.
At 599$ for everything - it would be too cheap :)

BraindG
11-08-2005, 05:46 PM
Val, thats for sending the emails to clarify the situation!.. looks like ill be ordering from there tonight! (once betty gets home with my CC! :rolleyes4 )

BraindG
11-08-2005, 05:48 PM
No. Flywheel is 479$. Kit is 599$.
At 599$ for everything - it would be too cheap :)

OH! still both C&F = 596.405 GBP

valmes
12-08-2005, 01:56 AM

Yeah... it's 1/3 the price of OS Giken (which comes without flywheel). :)

Kieran
12-08-2005, 08:26 AM

That's not too bad for an uprated part on a not terribly common car!

Wouter
12-08-2005, 09:10 AM

Did you order it??

richieelliott
28-08-2005, 12:57 PM
just chcking that we are a 100% sure this will fit? just to confirm evo viii fly wheel and clutch will fit vr4?

BraindG
28-08-2005, 04:36 PM
just chcking that we are a 100% sure this will fit? just to confirm evo viii fly wheel and clutch will fit vr4?
Dunno :) - ill find out when mine arrives, but from what people are saying yes, they will

richieelliott
28-08-2005, 05:52 PM
keep us updated
:thumbsup: :thumbsup: :drummer: