PDA

View Full Version : Does this sound like a boost leak?? Help/advice Please ..

bakerboy-2007
02-03-2011, 11:21 PM
Hi guys
Tonight on way home from work i was upsetting a chap in a m5 Beemer as I went to over take him (again) at ahem! 80ish in auto I Planted my foot and the engine & gearbox did it's magic thing and off I went but as I hit apron 6500rpm the car seemed to develop a stutter/hiccup so I eased off and gingerly pulled over into the nearest carpark ,

With car in neutral everything is ok 600rpm in idle as I ease the throttle car revs fine upto 6500rpm when it starts to judder/ pop sound through the exhaust as if I have reached the limiter ???

Does this sound like a boost pipe leak??
Anyone else had this happen??

Any help much appreciated as usual.....

Cheers

mattnz
03-03-2011, 12:23 AM
Running stock boost?

bakerboy-2007
03-03-2011, 12:32 AM
Yes pal stock boost ?!!

bakerboy-2007
03-03-2011, 05:07 AM
Help .........

Subaru ETA
03-03-2011, 05:22 AM
If you chuck it in drive and load it up to it's stall limit (put your foot on the gas and brake and rev it as far as it will go) what does it do?

ILLEGAL
03-03-2011, 06:13 AM
sparkplug or fuel filter could cause these kind of issues out of the blue. i would think a boost leak would show its self alot earlier than 6000rpm?

eddyvr4
03-03-2011, 06:16 AM
need a bit more info.. were you able to nurse it home? is the symptom apparent under high load, and/or light load?

maybe plugs/leads? (or coilpack/s)

peter thomson
03-03-2011, 08:38 AM
Also fuelpump that is a bit tired

pitslayer
03-03-2011, 09:17 AM
Similar symptoms to when I found out that 2 out 3 spark plugs on the rear bank hadn't been done up tight enough by someone who had serviced the car before me, and similar to when I had two coil packs die on two separate occasions, was fine up to a point, then would splutter and make a popping noise through the exhaust, pull the fault codes, if it is a coil pack it will throw up a fault code, could also be a dead spark plug.

Probably worth taking the plugs out giving them a good visual inspection see what they are, see whether they are tight in their holes, see how the engine is running, if it is missing on one cylinder the plug may show it, check the leads, if they are broken I would try and replace them with the Mitsi ones as the Magnecor from Camskill aren't long enough.

ETA@ An M5 should have slaughtered you by the way unless your car was pushing out at least 350bhp then you may be in with a chance of taking one down

Nick Mann
03-03-2011, 09:18 AM
If you have a significant boost leak, you'd expect soot out of the exhaust as you lose power. When revving in neutral, you shouldn't be making boost though.
The plugs are ngk iridiums and are approx 2 years old. Coil packs and fuel pump are original to the car as far as I know.
Have you recently filled up with fuel? Could it be ropey petrol?

666damned
03-03-2011, 10:38 AM
initial thought was plugs for me ...........

bakerboy-2007
03-03-2011, 02:22 PM
Hi thanks for the advise

Nick : no soot ! Exhaust fumes smell strong of fuel?? where is the fuel filter to be found?
It wasn't a loss of power more as if the car hiccup'd
As for fuel I always use my local where I can get 99 octane but it has been shut for A refurb all week an I ran down to the fuel light so I put in some Tesco optimum ??
Just checked quickly on break the oil an coolant are low I will have a look at the plugs n leads tonight

Thanks again everyone

Nick Mann
03-03-2011, 07:51 PM
What octane was the Tesco stuff?
Plugs should be good, iirc, so if it is a bad spark I'd be more suspicious of leads or coil packs.

bakerboy-2007
03-03-2011, 08:42 PM
Tesco say it's 99 octane so should be the same as my usual super stuff I get fom the independent garage !!
I had a good lOok round today , when the engine cold oil showing low and coolant low when engne at operating temp oil showing dry and coolant expansion dry , just topped them up for now will drop it all out for new at the weekend with filters and see what happens then

Cheers nick

Nick Mann
03-03-2011, 08:51 PM
Engine oil should be checked at least 5 mins after stopping the engine. The longer the better.

Coolant level should rise when the car is hot, drop when it is cold. In a perfect world it will be at max when hot and a few inches below when cold.

bakerboy-2007
03-03-2011, 09:14 PM
Thanks .... Can you remember off hand the last service pal?? have ya still got the 7202 ecu that came off the car ??

Really appreciate your time
Cheers

Nick Mann
03-03-2011, 10:19 PM
I'd guess a year or so ago. Mark would have had an invoice at the time.

I'm not aware the car had a 7202? It had a map 2 but Mark sold that separately.

bakerboy-2007
03-03-2011, 10:39 PM
Ok cheers

bakerboy-2007
06-03-2011, 11:31 PM
Been a busy weekend ,
changed coolant and oil n filter change, Topped up brake n steering , ATF ruby red an within limits,
Checked plugs n leads all seems ok
Tightened all jubilees need a new one for the throttle body as the one on broke when I gave it a turn ,(ass after 4pm on a Sunday)
Will see tomorrow after replacing clip how things go ....

Fingers crossed