PDA

View Full Version : Hid problem. Help please

Kryton
05-03-2011, 04:20 PM
Hi everyone. I have hid main, dip & fogs on my car. All have worked fine til today. My o/s dip turns on for 5 seconds then turns off. All the others are still fine so just wonder if anyones got any suggestions.

Thanks

Chris

Kryton
05-03-2011, 06:25 PM
Just swapped ballasts & bulbs around, trying different combos & looks like an issue with the bulb. Even though it was coming on briefly & now doesn't at all, & when swapped with others, still didn't. Best I go get one tomorrow & try I suppose

Nick Mann
05-03-2011, 06:43 PM
Interesting to know as my new car has HID's and I have never had to worry about them before.

Kryton
05-03-2011, 06:52 PM
Yeah but to be fair, these have been fitted a while now so alright really. I will post up confirming if sorted or not. Very strange that they were coming on though, so like it wasn't getting enough power. Oh well

Turbo_Steve
06-03-2011, 02:17 PM
It's usually due to the breakdown of the elctrodes inside the envelope. The gap gets bigger as they heat up. Eventually the gap is too big for the lamp to strike.

Gizmo
07-03-2011, 10:28 AM
Have you checked the voltage going to the ballasts? That would be the first thing i would check.

Kryton
10-03-2011, 08:16 PM
Have you checked the voltage going to the ballasts? That would be the first thing i would check.

I havn't got the skills or technology. my limit normally is topping up the washer fluid. For everything else, it goes straight to Misti tech. Just changed the bulb & the new bulb had a similar problem. This time strobing for a few seconds then nothing. In addition, now the n/s one doesn't work! Gonna check the fuses the weekend but looks like the bulb wasn't the problem :(

swinks
11-03-2011, 10:06 AM
Very likely ballast is playing up, but without close look can't cay anything. Chris you are coming to Midlands RR Day, we can check out your lights there :)

BEG4ME
11-03-2011, 01:02 PM
Not H4-H7 adaptor terminals loose?

Kryton
11-03-2011, 07:11 PM
Thanks guys. Jonnie (JTG) & his mate had a look at this today & sorted out the problem (well most of it). I now have all my lights bar one & turns out it is defo the ballast that is to blame :( Oh well, at least its now an easy fix.

Yes, I will be at the RR day so see you there :d

Chris

Kryton
23-03-2011, 07:16 PM
Finally got round to fitting the new ballast today & the lights are all now working. Happy days :d

JTG
24-03-2011, 08:52 PM
Finally got round to fitting the new ballast today & the lights are all now working. Happy days :d

Good work :)