PDA

View Full Version : How to fit Evo 4-6 exhaust (3in) to VR4

swinks
06-03-2011, 02:24 PM
After some search and few chats I decided to go for exhaust off Evo 4-6. First look at the pictures show similarity in shape. So, I thought that it may be easiest way to fit full 3in exhaust cat-back system. Especially, that there are plenty ready kits for Evo's on eBay.

And, other day was lucky enough to win auction for full stainless steel cat-back for 130 GBP inc. postage. After few days kit arrived, and it was time to find someone to play with cuts and welds :whistle:
Lucky for me... Paul (psbarham) lives nearby and it is very important factor. THANK YOU Paul! /Wyhy

So... yesterday we had quite busy Saturday. But finally, we did manage to fit full cat-back in, and from yesterday my Galant VR4 got new name "The Fart" /Devil5. Awsome nice and deep sound !
Exhaust sits like stock one, solid.

What was involved to fit Evo one?
All hangers were removed and fabricated again. We used followed original vr4 points:
- beginning of cat-back, near middle propshaft - one point
- 90 degree bend at rear
- 2 rear points where stock back box is attached
- point on the top of back box
Due to shape modification, actually 3 mods are involved:
- 2 sections need to be shortened
- 1 section needs to be extended length

Here picture what we did:

Not sure tho, exact measure of length that extension, maybe Paul will share more details.
Anyway, I'd recommend this reasonable priced modification to vr4. :upsidedow

Louis
06-03-2011, 03:12 PM
Excellent work, well done, good find, opens up the possibilities and variety of exhausts that can be used :)

darren1976
02-02-2014, 12:01 PM
Can this be done to a evo 8 exhaust as been offered a hks one

exevoowner
02-02-2014, 12:58 PM
if you know a good welder as the 8's exit on the other side from legnums

darren1976
08-02-2014, 07:42 PM
Bought it anyway is a hks super dragger should sound sweet when it on

rajvr497
08-02-2014, 10:49 PM
that's some excellent info thanks alot.....

rossrox
11-06-2016, 06:19 PM
Thread revival...

has any one else attempted this modification?

Just want to confirm the lengths that need to be cut down and extended. 10 inch extension seems a lot?

swinks
11-06-2016, 09:48 PM
Difference in length between short Evo and longer Gallant, also don't forget that you cutting off few inches as well.
This mod applies only to pictured type of Evo 4-6 exhaust. There are 2 different types (bends and curves). Pick up similar in shape to VR4.

rossrox
14-06-2016, 12:38 PM
My evo exhaust turned up today so timeto get chopping haha

swinks
14-06-2016, 02:58 PM
My evo exhaust turned up today so timeto get chopping haha
1st step, measure whole Evo cat back against vr4 one. Put them together next each other and you will get idea where to start ;)