PDA

View Full Version : Limit FS posts from newly registered members

foxdie
06-03-2011, 06:33 PM
Hi all,

I'm not sure about most of the users here, but I find it a little frustrating when people sign up to the site just to list a car for sale.

I'd like the UK and NZ for sale / wanted forums restricted until one or more conditions are met, here are some examples:
User has 10 or more posts
User has been registered for 1 month or longer
User is a paid member
User has at least 2-3 positive feedbacks
Thanks for reading :)

eunosben
06-03-2011, 06:36 PM
I'd suggest more than 10 as its easy to do 10 spam posts.

Wobble
06-03-2011, 06:50 PM
i agree jason. maybe a one month hold on new members or just paid up members would be a good idea .

to get 10 posts will take no time at all so dont agree with that one

foxdie
06-03-2011, 07:00 PM
Those are just examples, possible to do 10 junk posts like you say so maybe the month thing might be more ideal.

Humpty's Revenge
06-03-2011, 07:19 PM
Agreed, 1 month as any member status, then its a fair request for everybody! Also 50 posts or so, so we can see what these members are like?!

elnevio
06-03-2011, 07:21 PM
This is already in place:

Either 10 non-spam posts;
Or registered for more than 3 months;
Or signed up as full member.

:thumbsup:

VR4Kaos
06-03-2011, 07:21 PM
i aggree Jason you hater you lol paid members only bring in the revinue for the club big up J

Humpty's Revenge
06-03-2011, 07:24 PM
This is already in place:

Either 10 non-spam posts;
Or registered for more than 3 months;
Or signed up as full member.

:thumbsup:

If thats the case Nev what about this one:-http://www.clubvr4.com/forum/showthread.php?56022-Galant-VR4&p=622770#post622770

I know he`s been registered since November last year but that`s his first post!

elnevio
06-03-2011, 07:28 PM
Yes, it's an either/or, not both.

Wodjno
06-03-2011, 07:52 PM
I think it should be 1 month AND 10 non spam posts /yes

John TheAntique
06-03-2011, 07:56 PM
Actually it annoyed me more that he has been registered since November than if he just popped up now to advertise. He has had plenty of time to assess the club culture.

Louis
06-03-2011, 08:33 PM
What is the downside to someone who isn't a member letting the club know that they want to sell their Legnum/Galant on the site. I think it might be beneficial for the site if it is known as a trading place for the cars that the club is about. ??.
If people are put off listing their car for sale on the site, surely it just means that cars not known to the club just go straight to pistonheads or ebay.
I understand the "only come on here when they want something", "or to sell their car", viewpoint, but is that really a big problem?.
If it is free for them to put their car up for sale here first, then club people are the first to know, so if you are looking for a Galant/Legnum, this is the place to be, and the ones who buy cars they have seen on here are likely to hang around and ask questions, learn about their cars and become members.
Only thing I would be wary of would be car dealers, trying to offload dodgey cars, (but even then, that would be found out and highlighted when people started asking about the car for sale , or when they went to view the car.
Just asking :)

richy rich
06-03-2011, 08:48 PM
What is the downside to someone who isn't a member letting the club know that they want to sell their Legnum/Galant on the site. I think it might be beneficial for the site if it is known as a trading place for the cars that the club is about. ??.
If people are put off listing their car for sale on the site, surely it just means that cars not known to the club just go straight to pistonheads or ebay.
I understand the "only come on here when they want something", "or to sell their car", viewpoint, but is that really a big problem?.
If it is free for them to put their car up for sale here first, then club people are the first to know, so if you are looking for a Galant/Legnum, this is the place to be, and the ones who buy cars they have seen on here are likely to hang around and ask questions, learn about their cars and become members.
Only thing I would be wary of would be car dealers, trying to offload dodgey cars, (but even then, that would be found out and highlighted when people started asking about the car for sale , or when they went to view the car.
Just asking :)

Totaly agree.

Nick Mann
06-03-2011, 08:50 PM
I don't have an issue with people not posting. Therefore I think the rules we have now are appropriate.

BillHardy
07-03-2011, 09:39 PM
Have to agree with Louis,it's better to see our cars for sale on here then you have more choice,but also advertising format should be adheared to

Spirit
07-03-2011, 09:51 PM
Just FYI, the MLR recently (last week) took a massive step and stopped all non-members from both advertising and also seeing FS threads ! Different culture over there and there have been several people ripped off recently. It's caused quite a split in feelings on there.

All I can say is thank goodness nothing as drastic is required here, and I agree the current policy does seem adequate at this time /yes

Nick Mann
07-03-2011, 10:03 PM
About the only thing i used the MLR for was parts for sale. I can't say I agree with that decision.

chris g
08-03-2011, 10:27 AM
On the MLR that was aimed at 'back door trading' and dodgy deals...

TAR
08-03-2011, 01:07 PM
Another vote for Louis. I cant see why its a problem just coming on to advertise a car. Anyone buying a car listed here should still make all the necessary checks and satisfy themselves that the car is genuine whether the sale is from a long standing member or a single post newbie.

:happy:

chris g
08-03-2011, 01:12 PM
Are we 'voting' for Louis...?

His sentiments may be valid BUT this is a community and if you take advantage, of CVR4 then comments will be made...

TAR
08-03-2011, 02:22 PM
Chris, I'm not sure I understand your reply?

I agree with Louis - that's what I meant.

I dont see anyone taking advantage; people posting cars for sale will want to get maximum exposure and this is currently a free resource where people who value VR4's gather. This makes it a very good place to advertise and as a clubVR4 user looking to buy, it gives a greater diversity of cars to look at.

:happy:

chris g
08-03-2011, 02:32 PM
Sorry Tim, my sense of humour/awkwardness, picking on the word you used, I did know what you meant...

People DO take advantage, never visiting our community, no introduction before posting FS thread and nothing about circumstances of ownership or things that lead them to sell...

Not even hello, its just dump the advert here, make me an offer and/or look on ebay...

WHAM, BANG, thank you CVR4!

elnevio
08-03-2011, 07:39 PM
To be fair, the minimum criteria aren't exactly hard to meet, and to be honest, if someone asked really nicely, then we probably wouldn't have an issue with allowed a user to start an FS thread. It is primarily aimed at someone who has (or comes into possession of) a VR-4, wants to sell it, Googles it and lands on CVR4, and rather than read up on anything, simply sticks up an FS thread, which the Committee feel is abuse of our good-natured site. It's not entirely free to advertise, although the cost isn't necessarily monetary, it can be simply contributing to the forums, etc., be it on a technical level, or by merely being nice!

Like I said, the minimum criteria are not hard to meet!

BTW Chris, your input (however much plagiarised or not!) is very useful. A few of the ideas may make their way into the minimum requirements. :)

Barney
09-03-2011, 06:18 PM
What about restricted FS adverts.
Access to FS posts restricted for say a week for non members, enabling members to gain a benefit from their membership.