PDA

View Full Version : Turbo Repairs

nuster100
07-03-2011, 12:53 AM
In the process of stripping the VR4's engine down as part of its winter month's TLC and i'm not happy with the amount of oil in the pipes off the rear turbo

Can anyone recommend a place to get it looked at / reconditioned?

Also, how much of a pain is it to remove? I already have rocker covers, plenum etc off and can see the top quite clearly.

Jay

ILLEGAL
07-03-2011, 06:07 AM
bin the lot and go single :) ... haha..

sorry i have no real input into this thread seeing im in new zealand.

psbarham
07-03-2011, 09:13 AM
Its probably not even from the turbo, most likey its from the engine breather and is quite normal on these engines, Try a catch tank on the breather system.

nuster100
07-03-2011, 09:27 AM
It's far more from the rear than the front, is this normal?

Jay

BEG4ME
07-03-2011, 09:45 AM
bin the lot and go single :) ... haha..

sorry i have no real input into this thread seeing im in new zealand.

Haha. Seems to be the standard remark from you ILLEGAL.

Could be breather (breather hose connects just after the split, to rear inlet of turbo. Personally, i would leave it until it starts getting smokey or when you start dropping boost, although, if the rear is making trouble i guess the front is just working harder. Try pulling the plug to the airflow meter and taking off the whole intercooler piping from turbos - where it joins to 1, and give it a few good revs maybe? Might tell you if the turbo seals are gone. Oh yea, pull off breather hose to inlet too to prevent further oiling. Be cautious in doing this though as obviously you're going to create incorrect air/fuel ratios and there'll be a slight possibilty of contaminating your oxy sensor which could **** it.

Nick Mann
07-03-2011, 09:46 AM
It could point to seal failure. Search for threads where apeman69 has discussed refurbished turbos - his looked awesome. The rear is a pita to get off, i'm not sure if it will come up with the rocker cover off. I usually drop the transfer box and fetch it off downwards.