PDA

View Full Version : National CVR4 Meet 2005 - Ideas/Thoughts

Spirit
08-10-2004, 11:16 PM
Don't want to tread on Nick's toes here but wanted to pick up on Scottish Ian's idea of a National CVR4 meet.

Just thought we could kick off a thread to band around some ideas of when/where etc and get the ball rolling as this could be a massive event and take a lot of organising.

I have a few initial ideas and would hope others could add to it.

Firstly, people's initial objection to attending could be cost. Well I am happy to use CVR4's account as a saving device for those who would like to start saving now. If you pay £20 a month for the next 10 months or so you would have £200 in the kitty which would go a long way to paying for the majority of fuel/accomodation etc. I can keep a running tally on the forums or something so you can see how you are doing.

With regards to the event....I reckon we should find a country hotel somewhere where we can take over the whole hotel for a night. Guess a Saturday would be best and we could all travel there on the Saturday, arrange some activities, have a meal together then generally get p1ssed in the bar and then do something on the Sunday. We could also have a huge meeting to discuss issues/ideas at that time.

I would think somewhere between Birmingham and Manchester would be the ideal central point ? Also, I reckon August would be a good time, or if people arn't bothered about the weather then maybe October when the show season has quietened down ?

.......over to you guys ;)

The Vee
11-10-2004, 08:36 AM
Yep I like the idea of this one. We need to build it round some sort of event or show for people's interest even if it's not a car type theme. Alton towers might be a laugh but possibly not to everybody's taste and would be very busy in school hols. Perhaps a trip on an old steam railway?
Let's have some ideas.....................

nick-f1
11-10-2004, 09:40 AM
Yes I'm up for this I think its a great idea. Whether it be car orientated or something else could be good, having a 7 year old son who's a car fanatic and a 13 yo daughter who isn't perhaps something for everyone is a good idea, although I am not sure what to suggest at this time. One thought is perhaps later in the year as Andy suggests is to have a track day weekend at one of the smaller airfield circuits of which there seem to be a few of up north (elvington?) or which is the one Richard -Physician uses? Or is that too far north? Where I live in Dorset everywhere is a long trek ( are we there yet Dad?)

regards

Nick

chris g
11-10-2004, 03:22 PM
If I am in the country a 'National Meet' sounds good - a UK gathering of VR-4s, all generations? and perhaps Galants

Members only?

Whatever, it could b good fun

But I would avoid airfields - rough surfaces, high risk if not certainty of LOTS of stonechips and 'things' off line to do your car a mischief

eg marker lights, drains and various debris

If looking to include a track day as part of a w/e, why not approach EasyTrack or Book A Track to do it for us at a decent price

We can have other cars to fill the gaps - by invitation only? a decision for a Committee member/Moderator

IMOC, an MR2 Club have one for Dec at Donnington £140 for early booking and £160 late booking

We could have reduced rate for CVR4 Members up to a cut of date then full price for Members and ALL guests

Donnington as a half way point could be ideal but an Aug trackday may be more than the IMOC Dec price

Surely other things in Midlands to entertain also?

Physician
11-10-2004, 05:29 PM
Great idea and certainly needs planning as soon as possible if we want to book space at either a track or hotels etc.

Someone mentioned the track I use at Bruntingthorpe airfield and someone else commented on debris etc. Frankly it is not a particularly demanding circuit but has the advantage of a very long runway which means you could get the VR4 potentially up to 160 mph. Stones ARE a problem here as can be witnessed by the state of my front spoiler now ..... pockmarked and peeling all over after two sessions there. However, apart from that it is a very safe circuit as plenty of run off on all sides (grass) and no nasty Armco.

Ironically when I started reading this thread I was thinking in terms of Donington Park myself. It's centrally located in UK (and only 15 mins from me ;) ) and is recognised as a world class circuit with some great bends. It also has first class facilities and loads of space for camping etc if that is the preferred method of zzzzzzz's. Alternatively loads of hotels nearby. The other point about Donington is that it is also recognised as being a safe circuit in terms of plenty of grass run off if you get into trouble ..... and knowing you lot :sad3: :lipsrseal

I've actually provisionally booked a track day there in November at £159 all day, open pit lane, and so can pass on any comments and get additional info whilst there if a consensus starts to build that this could potentially be interesting for all of you.

I mentioned before that I have a neighbour who has a business arranging track days. I'll have a word with him when he returns from Portugal shortly and see what he suggests and costs etc.

Richard

The Vee
11-10-2004, 08:08 PM
If I am in the country a 'National Meet' sounds good - a UK gathering of VR-4s, all generations? and perhaps Galants

Members only?

?

Perhaps Galants ????????????????????????
Damn it. I'm a member with a V6-24 or is it a VR4. Oh Bu88er it. I don't know.
Maybe it's one or the other, but it is a Galant :D

chris g
11-10-2004, 08:36 PM
Sorry 'The Vee' - poor language/grammar or whatever!

I was trying to use fewest words to suggest alternative ways of having a 'National Meet' that was for benefit/enjoyment of members only or maybe 6g/7g/other Galant owners as well

The Vee
11-10-2004, 08:46 PM
Sorry 'The Vee' - poor language/grammar or whatever!

I was trying to use fewest words to suggest alternative ways of having a 'National Meet' that was for benefit/enjoyment of members only or maybe 6g/7g/other Galant owners as well

No need to apologise - it's only a tongue in cheek remark.

Mind you having re read my remark :$ , it could be misconstrued

strangebat
11-10-2004, 10:16 PM
sounds a good idea to me, was planing to make a trip south for one of the big meets next yea :thumbsup: r so a national vr4 meet would be ideal

Spirit
12-10-2004, 12:10 AM
My only concern about a trackday is the expense as this would no doubt be expensive and people would still have the cost of fuel there and back as well as accomodation costs etc....and could put some people off coming, though I guess they could watch ;)

My only experience of a club event was with UJCC at Castle Combe and it cost £5000 to hire it for a day - with the names listed it was going to cost £145 per car (similar to Richards price above) and everyone had to pay a £40 deposit a couple of months before the event. The problem was on the day itself when several people didn't turn up and the club/organiser ended up about £500 out of pocket !

Anyhow......great if everyone paid up in advance I guess but would need to get motoring on this if people are up for it as UJCC booked Combe in December 2003, some 8 months before the actual event.

chris g
12-10-2004, 08:37 AM
If a track day might be too expensive then we have to forget it but by the sounds of it, the track day part of a w/e National Meet woud be one bit of the whole w/e

If a track day was set up it would be good for as many people as possible to get out there and as for financial risk, not knowing the details of such arrangements but we put it onto EasyTrack/Book A Track, as IMOC did to host the day - all bookings thru their website

We would have to push the event to try to get required numbers - 60 bookings maybe - not certain of safe numbers for open pit lane/sessions at ? Donnington

We would also have to consider paying any shortfall of income, if contractually demanded as part of organising the event

Would that be expected by the organisers?

Would we have some money to pay in such circs?

Would we want to pay in such circs?

The IMOC day did not go on Book A Track calendar until autumn so it does not have to be a full years planning but we could talk to an organiser about a CVR4 trackday

A date might be booked for Aug/Sept or we could have Meet later in year for reduced track costs, maybe but whenever chosen if we have a date ASAP then CVR4 could promote the event continually and act as savings account as Pete suggested

Maybe take bookings/money from our invited guests or leave it all to the organiser

We may be able to have such a trackday by using a recognised organiser AND minimise our risk/liabilities

nick-f1
12-10-2004, 11:21 AM
A trackday seems like a no go then imo, you'll never get 60 people to sign up let alone turn up on the day. Perhaps we need to explore other avenues...... but i'm not sure what.. Ideas anyone again?
Second thoughts... how about a road run? I know someone would have to do the donkey work and work out a route but it could work. Somewhere picturesque in the pennines or where perhaps?

Spirit
12-10-2004, 01:50 PM
I share Nick's concern about the numbers of people who would sign up - I think we would be lucky to get 20 - 25 (and at Combe that would be £200 each !!!).

With regards to any financial shortfall if it did go ahead, I don't think we could expect CVR4 to pay this from club funds as this would be unfair to members who are unable to attend and would be seen by some as an abuse of their fees. The shortfall would have to be divided between the people who did attend on the day I guess.

chris g
12-10-2004, 02:06 PM
Yes numbers may be a problem and rule that part of a 'Meet' out of the question

I was thinking that CVR4 may actually be subsidising the whole w/e by spending some amount to arrange/provide various things for the w/e - so that CVR4 helped with activities for the whole membership/'family'

But funds may not be adequate and may not be judged to be best use of limited resources

Looks like it could be jam sandwiches in a park/by the river and visiting the funfair to have a CVR4 dodgem car event!

Now where is that plastic crash helmet with Noddy on?

rikward
12-10-2004, 02:09 PM
If people still want to compete without going to the expense of hiring a track for the Galants/VR4's and guests. Why not have the ralley, but thrash it out on mini motos or go karts? Surely this would be a cheaper option for all, we still have the meet and we can all get :drunk: .

Accidents do happen and using someone elses equipment means you don't risk your own pride and joy.

I am a big fan a track days, but I will never use my own vehicle. I don't earn enough! I would suggest motor cycles, but this is a car club not a bike club. Still, stomping around Brands on a 998 brings serious amounts of grin factor. :D

chris g
12-10-2004, 03:41 PM
Trying not to go on to much about a track day being part of a National Meet

but...

Do not arrange a track day, have the Meet in the Midlands,

Set a date for Meet when the track day calendars are published early 2005

Choose a w/e when a day at Donnington can coincide with the Meet

So track day available as part of 'The Meet in the Midlands'

And if other things going on in area AND and events arranged by CVR4

Lots of choice and fun for everyone

Just an idea

nick-f1
12-10-2004, 09:10 PM
So track day available as part of 'The Meet in the Midlands'

And if other things going on in area AND and events arranged by CVR4

Lots of choice and fun for everyone

Just an idea
Not a bad idea chris but surely a national meet is for everyone to "meet" everyone else and join in together what ever activity. If several activities were planned would give choice and wider appeal perhaps but would a "meet" as such take place with people doing different things at the same times? Its a difficult one isn't it? :rolleyes5

chris g
12-10-2004, 09:19 PM
I was specifically thinking of different activities/same time

Different activities/different times so people can join in/watch/go elsewhere and then re-group for next activity

Thins spread over a w/e?

Fri night get together
Sat activities start spread thru am/pm/ get together eve
Sun activities spread thru am/pm/go home late afternoon or eve after final get together

Some activities can be aimed at all and some for whosoever chooses

Karting seems popular to some/a treasure hunt may attract many but not all

Evening events can be for all?

Physician
12-10-2004, 09:24 PM
Don't knock a track day on the head JUST yet guys.

For instance, I was chatting to a guy today who said he can arrange a full track day inclusive of all marshalls etc in Northern France for £2,500. If we had 20 cars going that is £125 per car ....... of course, we would have ferry costs, fuel, hotel/campsite etc etc etc. which I guess would make it prohibitive.

He is going to get some ball park figures for various venues in UK.

nick-f1
12-10-2004, 09:36 PM
Don't knock a track day on the head JUST yet guys.

For instance, I was chatting to a guy today who said he can arrange a full track day inclusive of all marshalls etc in Northern France for £2,500. If we had 20 cars going that is £125 per car ....... of course, we would have ferry costs

Ferry companies do really cheap deals for cars/weekends in the winter, last year £56 per car/weekend. Great for us southerners but no-one else tho if you have a 3-400 ml drive before you start

The Vee
12-10-2004, 10:01 PM
Having said that - quite fancy a continental trip. maybe a new thread for that though as this would probably not work for the "National" as Nick says

strangebat
13-10-2004, 09:33 PM
if we're talking about ferries etc,has anyone considered the Isle of man, I'm saying this without any research into costs etc, but if was planned over a weekend then there would be plenty to do for families etc, accomodation is freely availible and there is always the chance to go up round the TT circuit as much as you want.
Just an idea :-D

Nick Mann
13-10-2004, 09:42 PM
IOM ferries are approx £125 return for car and 2 people out of season. I go there regularly, and the TT circuit (especially the mountain section) on a sunday morning in a VR4 is a LOT of fun.

Good idea, but expensive. I tried to organise it before, and a lot of initial interest petered out once the cost was discovered.

I will try to find out accomodation costs to give a good indication of total expenditure, but this is not ever going to be the National Meet that Pete is trying for. It would be a good event, though.

I'd like to say that there are a lot of good ideas coming - don't stop!

rikward
13-10-2004, 09:43 PM
I would be all up for a continental trip. Your right though a new thread would prabably be best. But a couple of ideas would be: Normandy or Nurburgring. Done much touring on the bike and it is fantastic.

strangebat
13-10-2004, 10:00 PM
right enough some thing that involves ferries etc would be good as an event rather than a national meet, A track meet would be ideal but I don't feel we would have enough numbers to make it financially viable, so what about picking some tourist spot in the uk, where there is plenty of accomodation to suit all tastes and plenty for wives, kids to do while we talk about cars. I don't know but somewhere like blackpool, iether early or late in the season when it's not too busy.
Another idea :-D

Spirit
13-10-2004, 10:11 PM
How about just a hotel in the country where we can all relax, get them to do a set menu type meal for us, maybe a disco, quiz event, bingo for a larf etc.....people can talk, have a larf, get bladdered, etc and then plan a visit to somewhere on the Sunday ?

My thoughts are too keep the costs as low as possible to generate more interest

SGHOM
13-10-2004, 10:21 PM
what about, http://www.beaulieu.co.uk/motormuseum/introduction.cfm

rikward
13-10-2004, 10:23 PM
Thats too far south surely???

We need to find a hotel that is centrally located and could potentually cater for a large group.

I have used this website (http://www.johansens.com) in the past. It offers a facility to select multiple counties to short list hotels.

For example:
Ringwood Hall Hotel, Chesterfield, Derbyshire
59 rooms
Restuarant, golf course, pool/spa etc.
tariff: £79 for single, £95 for double twin, £100 for suite.

I know these prices may be high for many people, but it's just an example.

SGHOM
13-10-2004, 10:40 PM
or maybe somewhere like, http://www.nationaltrust.org.uk/scripts/nthandbook.dll?ACTION=PROPERTY&PROPERTYID=86
been there loads of times, It's central, plenty to do, & lots of great roads to play on !! :lipsrseal :rolleyes5 :rolleyes5

RED
15-10-2004, 09:38 AM
How about if we could organise a trip round the Ralliart factory here in Rugby on say the Saturday afternoon followed by a murder mystery night at the local hotel (huge car park at the back for all of us and very romantic surroundings) and on the Sunday try to organise something with Richard reference a track day at Donnington or Bruntingthorpe?

OR

Camping at Billing Aquadrome for the weekend, plenty of room for the cars and abit of drunkeness and lots to do for the kids?

Not sure if these ideas are central enough though. I saw Pete say it took him 5 hours to get home from the pod and not sure how far it is from Scotland

Rally205
15-10-2004, 04:05 PM
OR

What about centre parcs in Sherwood forrest - not been personally but apparently theres loads to do?

OR

How about finding a big park somewhere with swings and stuff abit like Wickstead and having a huge barbie and taking the cricket gear for a quick game, 5 a side etc etc Takes me back to my childhood :-D

Kieran
15-10-2004, 05:54 PM
How about if we could organise a trip round the Ralliart factory here in Rugby on say the Saturday afternoon followed by a murder mystery night at the local hotel (huge car park at the back for all of us and very romantic surroundings) and on the Sunday try to organise something with Richard reference a track day at Donnington or Bruntingthorpe?

OR

Camping at Billing Aquadrome for the weekend, plenty of room for the cars and abit of drunkeness and lots to do for the kids?

Not sure if these ideas are central enough though. I saw Pete say it took him 5 hours to get home from the pod and not sure how far it is from Scotland

These both get my vote! :-b My concern is the Scottish invasion fleet.... Billing and Rugby are a fair old distance..... :undecided

SGHOM
15-10-2004, 06:02 PM
These both get my vote! :-b My concern is the Scottish invasion fleet.... Billing and Rugby are a fair old distance..... :undecided
anywhere is a fair old trip from scotland !! .....except scotland !! :rolleyes5

We have 10 months or so to decide, I'm central, so It's not a problem.
but if you said the meet was in the outer hebrides, or Lizard point !! :$

I would still be there ! :-b :-b

strangebat
15-10-2004, 06:19 PM
anywhere is a fair old trip from scotland !! .....except scotland !!
thats true but I for one am prepared to do it, I'm sure others will too

Physician
15-10-2004, 06:37 PM
I also think Red's ideas are great. A murder mystery night would be fantastic fun!

Methinks:

Dave could murder Derek and become the fastest again ...

VR4 owners could murder any upstart V6 owners trying to outgun their big brothers ... (Andy & Kieran for instance!)

We would need to murder RED as soon as we arrive as she has probably already been there and knows the answer ....

We can do a separate murder mystery after midnight .... find the nearest $$camera and murder it ...

And, of course, we can all murder a few beers and shorts .......

Any others?

Kieran
15-10-2004, 06:46 PM
VR4 owners could murder any upstart V6 owners trying to outgun their big brothers ... (Andy & Kieran for instance!)

:-D You'd have to catch us first, lol... On foot I'm sure I could outrun Dave and Derek! :laugh:

Back to topic:$ I think the murder mystery is a fantastic idea. Gets my vote! :) :-b

rikward
15-10-2004, 10:29 PM
Agreed. Murder mystery sounds a laugh. I have never done one either. But we would still need day time activities... Any more thoughts?

RED
16-10-2004, 12:06 AM
This is the website for the hotel. Have a look and see what you think http://www.corushotels.co.uk/hotel.asp?hotelID=54

I've never been to one of their murder nights but they are supposed to be good and we've always fancied going but could never get anyone to come with us :$ They do a set price for this evening so I could phone them and ask for some idea of prices? That way we can see if it's a goer before we all get to excited :rolleyes5 They have a large car park at the rear for up to 100 cars so we should all fit ;) The food is excellent and the rooms are really comfy and lads they are VERY romantic ;) :kissy3: Marcus and I had our wedding reception there and stayed the night in one of their honeymoon apartments and they couldn't do enough for us. Had a few meals there since and the standard still seemed high. Nice size bar-not to small so we can't get in but big enough so we can all get to the bar :beerbang: :drunk: They can also do barbecues in the grounds so that might be another idea as well. It is also haunted and as teenagers we all used to go ghosting at night - could be funny after a couple of pints. The hotel has also got free leisure facilities at the nearby fitness centre - pool, gym, jacuzzi and sauna. Next to the fitness centre there is also a MacDonalds, KFC, Franky and Bennys' a bowling alley and a cinema if anyone gets bored. If Richard could get a track day organised for the Sunday then there's always shopping for the ladies at Fosse Park about 20 minutes up the road in Leicester or 10 minutes into Coventry.

Marcus is going to have a word with Ralliart next week to see if they do an open day or something like it. Hopefully they do as I would love to have a nosey round their workshops and see what a clean one looks like for a change :laugh:

Glad the idea seems to have gone down OK :-D If we can get a few options costed then we can go on from there and maybe have a vote on the ones we like the best :wavey:

nick-f1
17-10-2004, 07:48 PM
Oi Red? Whats this........ fitness centres, shopping???????? This is supposed to be fun all! I got dragged out last week shopping for Pauli's new wedding outfit -" You know I value your opinion" she says.................. Guess which sucker got landed writing the out cheque?............ :sad3: The price of that outfit would have kept me in fuel for a month!! :rolleyes5
But a murder mystery weekend sounds great, count us in......... as long as it doesnt cost an arm and a New outfit!!! :laugh: :lipsrseal :p

RED
18-10-2004, 09:54 AM
Oi Red? Whats this........ fitness centres, shopping???????? This is supposed to be fun all! I got dragged out last week shopping for Pauli's new wedding outfit -" You know I value your opinion" she says.................. Guess which sucker got landed writing the out cheque?............ :sad3: The price of that outfit would have kept me in fuel for a month!! :rolleyes5
But a murder mystery weekend sounds great, count us in......... as long as it doesnt cost an arm and a New outfit!!! :laugh: :lipsrseal :p

But Nick I thought all men liked shopping :stunned: :-D

BraindG
18-10-2004, 10:23 AM
But Nick I thought all men liked shopping :stunned: :-D

For car bits! :laugh:

The entire weeked could be great

meet friday, have a "few" drinkies.
Sat midday - Paintball
Sat evening - Murder Mystewy/Drinkies
Sunday Midday - Go-Karting
Sunday Evening - Head off home

:D

rikward
18-10-2004, 11:16 AM
That sounds like a great plan.

Perhaps paintball could be VR4 owners versus lesser models? But just like the motors, VR4 owners get automatic weapons and everyone else gets slings? :laugh:

I am taking this too far! :rolleyes5

PUDD
19-10-2004, 02:58 PM
perhaps Drayton Manor Park or Alton Towers :thinking:

Big Ian
22-10-2004, 08:35 PM
just a thought :rolleyes: ......

take name's of who is up-for-this meet,then pick an area right in the middle of the 2 furthest apart member's(1 from the North + 1 from the South),an see what is worth looking at within that area?...and if the area is on the door step of of any member,then maybe that member can help with the going's on within the area?

Scottish Ian...........W/Glasgow.

craig-1
23-10-2004, 12:32 PM
me to east ayrshire:D great idea ian ill go with that

strangebat
23-10-2004, 08:42 PM
good idea, I'm same as Ian

Spirit
24-10-2004, 12:13 AM
good idea, I'm same as Ian

Also one of the reasons I wrote this in the very first post of this thread :

"I would think somewhere between Birmingham and Manchester would be the ideal central point "

nick-f1
24-10-2004, 04:06 PM
Also one of the reasons I wrote this in the very first post of this thread :

"I would think somewhere between Birmingham and Manchester would be the ideal central point "

I agree, Manchester is a 240 mile drive for me before we start.

Spirit
24-10-2004, 06:35 PM
Plymouth to Manchester = 280 miles
Aberdeen to Manchester = 348 miles

Anyone further than these two distances ?

RED
24-10-2004, 07:51 PM
What about centre parcs at Sherwood in Nottingham. We could have a fancy dress in the evening-best Maid Marrion or Robin Hood gets a prize :-D I've never been but I've heard some good reports-anyone ever been?

Spirit
29-11-2004, 12:32 AM
I am gonna try and finalise a plan for this over the next few weeks - so watch this space !

I will be contacting places working on numbers of 50+ so hope you are all up for this ;) - and plan to come up with some prices per head etc.

Brunty
30-11-2004, 04:51 PM
...may or may not be of any use.

If the meet is scheduled during the University summer vacations - many halls of residence will offer very cheap accomodation (£15 per night - last time I used them). They are just basic rooms but will often be accompanied by secure parking and security on site. Often the cheapest way to stay in or near to many city centres depending on the time of year.

Spirit
30-11-2004, 09:38 PM
That could be very useful information mate - can you do a bit of research for us and let me know as you are in Brum - thanks ;)

Nick Mann
30-11-2004, 11:10 PM
My wife is STILL (after 11 years!!) at brum uni. Brunty is spot on - I used university accommodation for a stag weekend a few years ago. £14 a head then, self catering flats for 5, single rooms each with en-suite.

Not sure how couples/families would be catered for, but I can get Vicky to check it out.

Pete - what options from the very impressive list preceeding this post are you looking into? I am quite happy to have a bash at a few options too?

Spirit
30-11-2004, 11:19 PM
Nick

To be honest (and I am sure you can relate to this), the hardest part of organising a meet is getting a lot of interest initially.

My thoughts are that the main purpose of the meet is to get as many people from all over the country together to meet each other and see each other's cars.

With this in mind my plan originally was to organise a venue (probably a hotel) where we can reserve an entire room with a bar and have a sort of buffet/disco etc and accomodation is on hand. Also we can maybe extend this to say a casino type games room, an awards ceremony (erm....who knows), maybe do fancy dress etc etc. The option of alternative accomodation could help for those on a tight budget.

With the above we could probably tie down a fixed price per head for the food and accomodation and get deposits from people to book it. The event would maybe start at 6pm on the Saturday so people have all day to get there.

Then the Sunday can be left to someone else (such as your good self) to arrange another event that people have the option of attending or not - depending on price/time etc.

I hope people can follow my thinking.....I don't want to put people off by making this too expensive from the outset. The main thing is getting together ;)

Nick Mann
30-11-2004, 11:26 PM
Sounds good.

The biggest decision will probably be the venue. It doesn't matter where it is, there will be someone who says 'that's too far'. (Including people inside the UK!)

I'm happy to do as much as it takes, but I think that area and date should be the first priorities. Are you getting prices for a certain date or just general ones?

I have not seen the dates for the big japanese events next year yet, (I was hoping we could put them on the calendar, but nevermind) but we should try to find a date away from everything else. Maybe work on this years dates as a guideline?

Spirit
30-11-2004, 11:33 PM
Totally agree about the dates, I firstly thought about October as this will then be out of season and maybe cheaper - but then the Uni accomodation will be out of the question

Brunty
08-12-2004, 05:50 PM
My wife is STILL (after 11 years!!) at brum uni.

Student or Staff? Either way University life can certainly get its hooks into you. I've held five different jobs at Birmingham University (including some consultancy work) over the years and am now trying to get my own company up and running.

Who have I returned to for a bit of crust while my company starts to develop. Birmingham University - the wages might not be the best but the holiday allowance and pension scheme aren't too shabby.

Brunty
08-12-2004, 05:54 PM
I've made the enquiry at Birmingham re: costs, dates and type of accomodation available. The answers should provide a good guide whether the event takes place in Birmingham or any other University town.

Will let you know what I find out.

Steve

Nick Mann
08-12-2004, 10:53 PM
Student or Staff?

Staff now. But only for the last 2 years. To be fair, she did have a proper job for a year or so somewhere in the middle!! She works in the Metallurgy and Materials building. Where are you?

Brunty
14-12-2004, 07:01 PM
Spirit - you got mail.

Unfortunately the University accomodation would only be available until 11th September.

Steve

Spirit
14-12-2004, 09:19 PM
Thanks mate, have kept the info on file for when the next stage of arrangements comes to fruition. ;)

Spirit
15-01-2005, 12:16 AM
Time to re-kindle this thread and start making some plans - watch this space !

venomboy
29-01-2005, 10:37 AM
Just to spark something up, I thought I'd have a say.
I would love a meet but the cost of accomodation and travel are pretty much all I can afford and I know a fair few other members are in the same boat.
So we could do something like a museum or park or kart track, say £40-50 but really can't stretch to a track day.
Also although my idea of heaven is to watch cars thrash round a track/up the strip, wife, and kids particularly, need some form of stimulation other than a windy airfield, and again the nature of our club being generally older more mature is that there are more of these about.
What sort of venue would cater for all groups?
Student accomodation is a bit low tech for me personally, I like my creature comforts in my precious leisure time, and I think I am unlikely to persuade my wife to return to her roots for a dirty weekend, without en suite and baby facilities.
The hotel function room, or murder mystery ideas seem to cater for most, Alton towers or similar or museum (what about donnington ? isn't there a museum there? possibly both track and sightseeing?
Just ideas, if it rules me out then I'll catch you at japfest or a local.
VB

Vector
29-01-2005, 04:32 PM
probably cost too much for most of you guys..but here goes
ever heard of a little road in germany?......about 13 or 14 miles long......

Nurburgring

maybe one for an anniversary meet or something ......planning to take my blade this year...but for you hardcore trackday peeps i hear its a must

The Vee
29-01-2005, 08:42 PM
probably cost too much for most of you guys..but here goes
ever heard of a little road in germany?......about 13 or 14 miles long......

Nurburgring

maybe one for an anniversary meet or something ......planning to take my blade this year...but for you hardcore trackday peeps i hear its a must

Hmmmmmmmm
Have a look thru the events threads :lipsrseal :-D

EDIT
Having said that,can't find it myself now !! :$
But there are a few of us going to the little road at Easter :D

Spirit
30-01-2005, 11:07 AM
I think the end result may be we take over a hotel for a Saturday, arrange some sort of meal/bar/disco etc and then on the Sunday we can try and make some arrangement for the morning and people can decide to join in or head home.

This way people have time to travel there on the Saturday, we all get to meet one another, kick some tyres in the morning, people can head home or go to the Sunday event if they want/can afford it, and have time to travel home the Sunday.

Of course there may be some break out groups on the Saturday if people want to get there early and these can be organised seperately - the main event for the club is the Saturday evening/Sunday morning - does this make sense ?

Kieran
30-01-2005, 04:13 PM
I think that's probably the best plan Pete - It would be nice to have a full day and night of car related malarky, but given the miles that many people will probably have to travel, I don't think it would work in practice.

RED
02-02-2005, 10:49 AM
Okay just throwing this in the ring because I've just been organising Em's christening. While I was on the phone I asked for some prices for a murder mystery weekend. The price per person is £34.95 which includes a meal and the rooms are at a discount price of £32.00 per person. They have 47 rooms and their next two evenings are on the 24th June 2005 and 16th September 2005. I didn't think those prices were to bad-what do you think? :)

rikward
02-02-2005, 12:25 PM
Nice one Red. That sounds like a barrel of laughs and good value. I'd be interested.

enigma
02-02-2005, 12:35 PM
Done one of those before, it was good fun even though I didn't know anyone......a Club one would be a scream......no pun intended!

Kieran
03-02-2005, 08:54 PM
Sounds good to me!! :) :)

Big Ian
08-02-2005, 11:32 PM
I think the end result may be we take over a hotel for a Saturday, arrange some sort of meal/bar/disco etc and then on the Sunday we can try and make some arrangement for the morning and people can decide to join in or head home.

This way people have time to travel there on the Saturday, we all get to meet one another, kick some tyres in the morning, people can head home or go to the Sunday event if they want/can afford it, and have time to travel home the Sunday.

Of course there may be some break out groups on the Saturday if people want to get there early and these can be organised seperately - the main event for the club is the Saturday evening/Sunday morning - does this make sense ?

if the meet was to go along the lines of pete's idea above, we'd definately be interested.
don't know if its much use but a double room in a Moat house hotel starts at £59 for 2 (quoted from birmingham moat house on 3rd to 4th of september). these hotels also have conference and event facilities with plenty of parking & are usually located near exhibition centres.

Big Ian
08-02-2005, 11:51 PM
was just checking out the MAX POWER LIVE 2005, it is on at the NEC birmingham from 1st - 3rd july. double rooms at the birmingham moat house start at £44 for 2 on saturday the 2nd july. which would mean we could all drive down on the saturday, meet, party & have fun saturday night. then go to the MAX POWER show on the sunday.

RED
09-02-2005, 10:19 AM
Sounds good to me I've never been to that kind of car show before only a rallying one and a classic car show. Isn't this where the ladies get their boobies out alot - I may have to get Marcus some blinkers and a mac and Em some dark sunglasses :-)

Big Ian
09-02-2005, 04:33 PM
i think,to help with planning a "National Meet" (for this year) we should have a show of hand's of member's who would attend it and maybe add what time of the year is good for you?
/wave

(cut N paste)

MEMBER'S NAME..............ATTENDING..............MONTH
Scottish Ian ::::::::::: IAN:love:JACQUE ::::::: any month

enigma
09-02-2005, 06:10 PM
bigdaveakers ::::::::::: Dave:love:Helen:baby:TobyHannah ::::::: any month apart from May and possibly June!

Nick Mann
09-02-2005, 06:21 PM

Nick Mann :::::::::::::::: Nick & Vicky ::::::::::::::::::: Not October!!

:baby:TobyHannah

Are you intending to have a unisex baby?

RED
09-02-2005, 07:47 PM

red marcus :love: jane :baby: emily anytime

Kieran
09-02-2005, 10:34 PM
Kieran :::::::::::::::: Kieran:love:Alex :::::::::::::::::Not early May.

I would suggest once we've got a list of members that we work out a suitable set of dates and then vote on the best match for everyone?

Spirit
10-02-2005, 12:35 AM
TBH I think the harder issue will be finding a venue that will accomodate us all and then matching the dates around this - of course there will be people who cannot attend, but that will always be the case.

Spirit
10-02-2005, 12:45 AM
Post did not show !

NevGroom
10-02-2005, 09:35 AM
NevGroom::::::::::::::::::::::: Nev & TBA ::::::::::::::::ANY

Starting apologies to Ian now :curtain:

BraindG
19-07-2005, 11:15 PM
Ok people, if we are going to do this we really, really need to start organising this now...

We need to know how many people are interested, what we want to do, and where... and of course the dreaded when?!

ill review this thread tomorrow at work, and come up with a short list of the things people mentioned... adding in daves idea of thrumpinthorpe or what ever it was called :)...

we are running out of time, october/november/december is not far away anymore.

SGHOM
19-07-2005, 11:18 PM
I think the suggestion of hiring fartingthorpe could be the only answer at the moment ?? you post Barry, is the 1st one since feb !! :embarasse

BraindG
19-07-2005, 11:21 PM
I think the suggestion of hiring fartingthorpe could be the only answer at the moment ?? you post Barry, is the 1st one since feb !! :embarasse
I know, we had good intentions of organising it early..

since then we've talked about it, um-an-ad about it, however time is running out... we should set a descision on time and place very soon..

other threads

http://www.clubvr4.com/forum/showthread.php?t=9914&highlight=national
http://www.clubvr4.com/forum/showthread.php?t=9019&highlight=national

Err, thats all i could find :inquisiti
Ill review tomorrow, and collate all the info.