PDA

View Full Version : Cobra alarm problems.

Kujoy
13-03-2011, 01:36 AM
Hi All

I have the cobra alarm system and the dash imobiliser key thing. When I active the alarm with the button on the fob the alarm goes off. was the alarm standard on the Galants? When I lock the car with the remote the light on the steering column blinks so is the alarm working?

Cheers

Humpty's Revenge
13-03-2011, 01:50 AM
Hi All

I have the cobra alarm system and the dash imobiliser key thing. When I active the alarm with the button on the fob the alarm goes off. was the alarm standard on the Galants? When I lock the car with the remote the light on the steering column blinks so is the alarm working?

Cheers

Yes & yes.

Kujoy
13-03-2011, 01:59 AM
Thanks just found an article on here about resetting that i missed when i looked earlier. I will give it a try tomorrow, dont think the neighbours would appreciate me doing it at 1am.

Davezj
13-03-2011, 09:16 AM
Thanks just found an article on here about resetting that i missed when i looked earlier. I will give it a try tomorrow, dont think the neighbours would appreciate me doing it at 1am.

It would Be good if you could link the article about resetting the alarm so others do not have to go looking for it.
Just copy and past the address bar of the resseting article into you text window in this thread to create the link

Louis
13-03-2011, 01:26 PM
There are two buttons on the bean shaped remote, the larger one is to arm and unarm the alarm, the smaller button is a panic alarm and if you push this the alarm will go off.

Kujoy
13-03-2011, 01:43 PM
Doh.. I thought the big button was the central locking and the other armed the alarm. Woulkd explain why the alarm went off everytime I pressed. So i guess its not bust then.

:)

Louis
13-03-2011, 01:47 PM
:) I thought that when I read your post lol!. The big button works the central locking and arms the alarm at the same time, my alarm beeps, once when opening the car (disarming) and twice when closing (arming).

horndog
13-03-2011, 03:26 PM
One other thing to consider;
If you stop the engine/unlock the car and dont arm the alarm before a set time (i.e unloading shopping / cleaning car etc) - when you do press the button then the car dosent lock, it just disables the immobiliser again. (But it does sound like the locks are triggering), you can press the button again to lock the doors.

Dont know if this happens to everyone or if its just mine

HMG1K
13-03-2011, 10:02 PM
Marc can you fill me in more on your last post, please. I've had what you have described and thought the arming and alarming process was playing up. I've had it where I've heard 'beep beep', thought the car was locked and alarmed but when I've returned to the car it was unlocked! Thanks in advance. :-)

Kujoy
13-03-2011, 10:16 PM
This is what i found in one of the other posts on here. This is the method to sync the fob to the car. I didnt see any light come on the dash tho, but it did work.

1: With the system disarmed switch ON the ignition
2: Insert a touch key into the touch key receptacle, the dashboard LED will permanently illuminate
3: Press both radio key buttons together until the radio key LED stops flashing and goes out (approx 10s)
4: Release the buttons and the radio key LED comes ON
5: Press one radio key button, the radio key LED blinks and the dashboard LED goes OUT for 1 second
6: Repeat steps 3-5 for all other legitimate radio keys. When all keys are taught switch off the ignition (the dashboard LED will go OUT)

My alarm doesn't beep beep when its switched on. I guess this is optional and theres something somewhere you can adjust. Im sure someone here knows the crack with this.

Ive never noticed the doors not lock if its not been activated straight away as mentioned above? Does anyone one know the time-out duration?

Im the members section theres some documentation on the alarm system. Not had chance to have look yet but will check it out in a bit to see if there's anything thats relavant.

And cheers Louis for pointing out what a dumb ass I have been. But at least i know now that my alarm system works. Why we would need a Panic alarm is beyond me, is this kind of feature common on alarm systems?

horndog
13-03-2011, 10:17 PM
Marc can you fill me in more on your last post, please. I've had what you have described and thought the arming and alarming process was playing up. I've had it where I've heard 'beep beep', thought the car was locked and alarmed but when I've returned to the car it was unlocked! Thanks in advance. :-)

Firstly, Mine dosent beep, I assume its a setting that can be enabled/disabled - (and I prefer mine not too.)

If I go to the car and unlock with the remote it unlocks and disables the immobiliser, If I wait long enough (30s??) and the immobiliser arms again (car still unlocked), then the next press of the remote will dissable the immobiliser again and sounds like it tries to unlock the doors.
Same thing if I have parked the car and left it long enough for the immobiliser to start flasing

I think that the car will only lock if the immobiliser is not active/flashing (but locking the car with the fob does set it)

Kujoy
13-03-2011, 10:17 PM
http://www.clubvr4.com/forum/showthread.php?18125-HELP-FOB-Doesn-t-Work!!!!-%28

link to the post

elnevio
13-03-2011, 10:42 PM
Doh.. I thought the big button was the central locking and the other armed the alarm. Woulkd explain why the alarm went off everytime I pressed. So i guess its not bust then.

This cheered me right up! :D

Louis
13-03-2011, 10:49 PM
This is what i found in one of the other posts on here. This is the method to sync the fob to the car. I didnt see any light come on the dash tho, but it did work.

1: With the system disarmed switch ON the ignition
2: Insert a touch key into the touch key receptacle, the dashboard LED will permanently illuminate
3: Press both radio key buttons together until the radio key LED stops flashing and goes out (approx 10s)
4: Release the buttons and the radio key LED comes ON
5: Press one radio key button, the radio key LED blinks and the dashboard LED goes OUT for 1 second
6: Repeat steps 3-5 for all other legitimate radio keys. When all keys are taught switch off the ignition (the dashboard LED will go OUT)

My alarm doesn't beep beep when its switched on. I guess this is optional and theres something somewhere you can adjust. Im sure someone here knows the crack with this.

Ive never noticed the doors not lock if its not been activated straight away as mentioned above? Does anyone one know the time-out duration?

Im the members section theres some documentation on the alarm system. Not had chance to have look yet but will check it out in a bit to see if there's anything thats relavant.

And cheers Louis for pointing out what a dumb ass I have been. But at least i know now that my alarm system works. Why we would need a Panic alarm is beyond me, is this kind of feature common on alarm systems?

Yes, that is exactly how to re tune your remote fob to the car.

Also, mine does the thing where if you push the button (the big one!:)), to get in, if you don;t start the car for a couple of mins, before putting the key in the ignition, the imobiliser self activates, so you have to push the big button again to disarm the imobiliser.

horndog
13-03-2011, 10:55 PM
Why we would need a Panic alarm is beyond me, is this kind of feature common on alarm systems?

I've had it on 2 other after-market alarms, (both Clifford)

Nick Mann
13-03-2011, 11:02 PM
The small button also disables the ultrasonic protection if pressed at the right time, if I remember correctly.

adamvortex
13-03-2011, 11:21 PM
can you get full closure module fitted to these cobra alarms?

HMG1K
13-03-2011, 11:38 PM
Thanks, Marc.

For those of you who want their Cobra to beep, there's an article on these boards. It involves disconnecting the battery, reconnecting whilst holding down the big button on the remote. It will chirp at you and that means the beeps are active. I can hunt through and dig out the exact procedure when I'm pack in front of a PC.

Kujoy
02-04-2011, 11:55 PM
Also, mine does the thing where if you push the button (the big one!:)), to get in, if you don;t start the car for a couple of mins, before putting the key in the ignition, the imobiliser self activates, so you have to push the big button again to disarm the imobiliser.

Ahhh that would explain why i got stuck in MacDonalds car park..