PDA

View Full Version : Delimiting

rikward
11-10-2004, 11:33 AM
Further to a comment Nick-F1 made in my Vectra for sale thread (http://www.clubvr4.com/forum/showthread.php?p=46490#post46490), do I need a chip, or rewire what is alreday there?

With the import documents is an instruction guide to re-wire and does not mention the need for a chip.

If the chip is the better option, Nick-F1 I would appreciate the chaps phone number. Guildford is only 20 minutes up the road from where I live.

By the way, anyone interested in my Vectra? :-D

nick-f1
11-10-2004, 01:16 PM
Eurospec 2000 in guildford, I'll dig out the number later but he has a website with it on. Its dead easy to wire into the ecu........ four wires. + ve, -ve and two wires that connect into the speed sensor wire...... thats white with green thread.
Piece of cake job, takes longer to take the side panel off!

Nick Mann
11-10-2004, 01:23 PM
It only needs doing if you intend to drive at speeds over 120!

(I'd do it!) :p

Try a top speed run to see where (and if) it cuts in.

rikward
11-10-2004, 02:35 PM
I do not like to speed :laugh: That is why I bought a VR-4 :thinking:

I'll still go ahead and delimit it I think, but it would be wise for not to speed. I am one pull from a ban :lolice: :furious3: :bobby: :noshake: :sick:

wirdy
11-10-2004, 09:14 PM
I do not like to speed :laugh:

Is that your actual car in the picture? Haven't seen a red one before, apart from one on e-bay a few weeks ago.

Re:- speed limiter, I didn't fit one initially 'cos I thought I'd not go above 120 very often. Trouble is, when you've got an ~#@%&!! up you @rse on a clear stretch of road you do hit the limiter surprisingly quickly and its like hitting a brick wall -all your boost dumps and you freewheel for about 5 seconds until it cuts in again. Could be more hazardous (in certain circumstances) to have a limiter than not.
Well worth the money to get it delimited ;)

rikward
12-10-2004, 09:14 AM
Thanks for the advise all. I think I'll down the road of the delimiter.

Wirdy, This is my car, and it's the one from eBay. I posted this thread (http://www.clubvr4.com/forum/showthread.php?t=5607) about the experience.

Pete M
12-10-2004, 09:26 PM
Could the instructions on rewiring the ecu to delimit it be put up on the members page? If it could be done without buying a little box, I'd be interested. Not that I ever drive above 180km/h :$

nick-f1
12-10-2004, 09:42 PM
Could the instructions on rewiring the ecu to delimit it be put up on the members page? If it could be done without buying a little box, I'd be interested. Not that I ever drive above 180km/h :$
When i fitted my little chip I experimented ( i like to ) with disconnecting the speed sensor wire altogether ( without chip) and it worked. But I was worried what else the ecu uses the speed sensor signal for, so would not advise doing this.

rikward
13-10-2004, 09:23 AM
I'll rumage through the documents I have and post a thread with the details I have been provided. From this, perhaps suggestions could be put forward regarding its validity. Afterall, the instructions may actually cause the AYC to fail :sad3: . Perhaps not!

jalford
18-01-2005, 07:47 PM
Even though the dealer told me the limiter had been removed I have found it has not.

I thought it would cut in at 112 but when it went past I was rather pleased...until I reached 115 and....pause....go....pause...go :wall: :rolleyes5 :sad3:

Obviously I'll point this out to the dealer.

I've had a quick search through and seen talk of removing a wire from the back of the speedo and talk of chips.

I was thinking that the chip would be a mod and what would that do to my insurance? :rolleyes:

Just wondered what the general opinion was. Is a chip necessary? Are there any risks with this? etc...

jalford
20-01-2005, 01:52 PM
My browser timed out when I added the post above and didn't show the thread as having been updated....strange :rolleyes5

wirdy
20-01-2005, 02:53 PM
I was thinking that the chip would be a mod and what would that do to my insurance? :rolleyes: ...

Limiters are just a JDM item, activated purely for Japanese laws.

Official VR4 UK imports never had them activated.

If the question ever arises from your insurer I'd say that you removed the restricter for track days and not for normal road driving :p . The national speed limit is 70mph isn't it? even when most normal saloons are capable of more than 115mph!!

As far as I can remember (it's over 2 yrs ago now) the derestricter box just had a little eprom chip inside with links that could be cut to configure the PCB to be a KPH to MPH converter also - I suppose it's much the same as a playstation mod chip - there to modify the signal to fool later circuitry.

Legnum Boy
20-01-2005, 03:33 PM
Alternately, get an Apexi RSM.
Little box of tricks that can be used as a switch for the speed limiter.
Then if you feel you need to have the limiter back on, you can... ;)

valmes
21-01-2005, 04:16 PM
Apexi RSM is the way to go!!! Drove mine with speeds over 240kph... no problems :)