PDA

View Full Version : Multimedia system still in Japanese...

rikward
11-10-2004, 12:46 PM
Under the buyers guide in the resources section (very useful, thanks), I noticed the following paragraph:

This touch-screen-controlled system is covered in Japanese characters and no one has yet come up with a software translation package that can be downloaded into it to make it give commands and read-outs in English. Club VR-4 has someone working on a manual to show you what each of the screens means, but until then it’s a case of playing around with the controls until you get something like the right temperature breeze blowing roughly where you want it, and with your CD playing OK.

Has this been completed? I ask, as if the person on the case can no longer complete this, I may be able to offer some assistance. I do not need this myself, so I would require illustrations and/or photographs of the characters. With the assistance of my other half (wife of the Japanese variety), I would be able to create a user manual.

Any need for this? Or has it been completed?

Grinder
11-10-2004, 08:47 PM
Err I bought the translated manual from http://www.car-handbooks.co.uk/, about £20.

What a nice offer though. You (and your wife!) might be very useful to have around! :)

Kieran
11-10-2004, 10:42 PM
It's not the buttons that need translation.... It's all of the messages that appear on screen that we struggle with. So if you can translate, that would be good!!! :-b

Grinder
12-10-2004, 05:50 AM
Ah you are right! There are a couple of screens not shown in the translated manual, I get one sometimes when switching on: 2 buttons and a lot of Japanese script.

Next time it happens I will take pic.

Kieran
12-10-2004, 07:38 AM
Ah you are right! There are a couple of screens not shown in the translated manual, I get one sometimes when switching on: 2 buttons and a lot of Japanese script.

Next time it happens I will take pic.

If you could get pictures of the sat-nav screens and the text on the touchscreen buttons, that would also be good!

Grinder
12-10-2004, 07:44 AM
OK will do - and I have a couple of perculiar stickers on mine here and there I would love to know what they mean.

Maybe we should set up a forum section just for rikward to provide translations ?

rikward
12-10-2004, 09:10 AM
No problem guys. Send any photos my way. If you find that the photos do not come out, please make sure that any hand written stuff is accurate.

You can contact me via email: rikward@dsl.pipex.com
or
21 Dennis Way
Liss
Hampshire
GU33 7HJ
mark FAO ClubVR4

I will type up the information in Japanese and English so it is absolutely clear. If I can provide them, I will annotate screen dumps.

I would be interested to see the English Manual and see if it is really accurate. I have used translated guides before and I have come across some terrible examples.

There will be a charge for this consultation and translation fee. Call it a beer or two :beerclash

rikward
31-10-2004, 09:36 PM
Thought I'd mention, I had my first uptake (Grinder) on this offer. Not for Mitsu' though, but for Skylines...

So if anyone has problems, let me know.

If you're intersted in the detail I could give, visit
www.skylineowners.com/forum/showthread.php?p=150686

...and no I did not charge.

Kieran
31-10-2004, 09:39 PM
:soapbox:

DEREK!!! Get you camera out and get snapping that MMCS you've got!!! :-D

Grinder
31-10-2004, 09:56 PM
Full marks to Rik & his missus. And all within half-hour - fantastic service. I keep meaning to photo the MMCS myself, but have been a bit busy.

Rik, once you are established start charging! :-D

Antony_Baker
07-11-2004, 01:56 AM
Err I bought the translated manual from http://www.car-handbooks.co.uk/, about £20.

What a nice offer though. You (and your wife!) might be very useful to have around! :)

Hi, checked the link above and it advertises itself as a maintenance manual, is the MMCS covered in detail ?

Thanks
Antony

Grinder
07-11-2004, 09:06 AM
The one named "Mitsubishi Multi Communication System Handbook 96-" is the detailed user manual for the MMCS. All the screens are described so you know what all the 'buttons' on the touch-screen do.

There is nothing about how it works behind the scenes (ie no circuit diagrams or anything) to help you fix it if it goes wrong.