PDA

View Full Version : Megasquirt for VR4??

scott.mohekey
25-03-2011, 01:40 AM
I just stumbled upon this item at diyautotune.com: http://www.diyautotune.com/catalog/diypnp-nippon-denso-76pin-unassembled-kit-p-384.html

If you look at the connector that it comes with here: http://www.diyautotune.com/diypnp/images/connectors/n76/n76-upclose_200tall.jpg you can see that its exactly the same as the one on our ecus.. I'm still trying to find a pinout for this one, but it supposedly works with a bunch of USDM Mitsubishis out of the box!!

scott.mohekey
25-03-2011, 01:43 AM
It looks like you can wire it for whatever pinout you want..

Adam.Findlay
25-03-2011, 04:45 AM
YEP thats a bit of me. think ill add that to the wish list

Fully
25-03-2011, 05:06 AM
Wow wished I seen this one =)

foxdie
25-03-2011, 09:52 AM
I've seen Megasquirt kits available in the UK for good money at http://www.extraefi.co.uk/ and often wondered how much of a drop-in replacement would they be for our cars?

Edit: The owner of the site also includes lots of howtos / diagrams on how to integrate the MS1/2/3 systems into any vehicle here (http://www.extraefi.co.uk/drawings.htm).

taylor
31-03-2011, 11:50 PM
just looked at the evo and vr4 pinouts, they are very similiar, could make any plug in evo efi system work easily with only a small amount of swapping pins on the connector at our end.

scott.mohekey
31-03-2011, 11:55 PM
Except that they may use wasted spark and only have two ignition outputs, which won't be enough for us. If they have four ignition outputs and can be reconfigured to do 3 output wasted spark, they'd be ok.

Gowf
01-04-2011, 10:35 AM
They've been around on the market for years.... I've heard some good about them at work here from when they attempted to use one on the Formula student car, however.... we still use liferacing so that must say something esp as they are in the region of 8k! I personally could have never been bothered to build one myself, and I've never personally used the software so its unfair for me to truly comment, but BenH has so its worth speaking to him and see what he says.

But if your willing to compromise for price, then you wont find anything cheaper.

foxdie
01-04-2011, 11:05 AM
Except that they may use wasted spark and only have two ignition outputs, which won't be enough for us. If they have four ignition outputs and can be reconfigured to do 3 output wasted spark, they'd be ok.

I'm not 100% clear on what you're saying here, our engines use wasted spark so we only need 3 ignition outputs, all MS units (http://www.extraefi.co.uk/compare.htm) support up to 4 ignition outputs (however only the MS2/3 will be compatible as the MS1 can't drive the Stepper Motor Idle Adjust).

If however you're referring to injector outputs this then becomes a big issue if you want to individually control each injector, I'm not sure how our injector system works.. Does our ECU trigger each injector individually based on crank position or does it trigger all injectors at the moment of any particular cylinder needing fuel?

If they all fire at once, then again an MS2/3 unit will do, if each injector needs individually addressing then we'd need the MS3 unit with the MS3X add-on board (http://www.extraefi.co.uk/MS3X_board.html) which supports up to 8 high-impedance injectors.

Personally, if people are going to do this, I'd recommend the MS3 with the MS3X unit, it'll provide the following features;
Up to 8 cylinders each with individual spark / injector control
Both Crank AND Cam sensor inputs
Stepper motor idle adjust
Up to 5 knock sensor inputs, or
Up to 6 Wideband o2 sensor inputs, or
A mixture of the above (1 knock / 5 o2, 2 knock / 4 o2 etc)
Switchable fuel map via external switch (2x 16x16 fuelling maps)
Individual spark / injector trimming with AFR target tables
Comes with 21 PSI / 1.45 Bar MAP sensor, upgradable to 38 PSI / 2.62 bar
Tacho output for dash with 1 RPM accuracy
Up to 4 stage NOS control
Boost control
Launch control / Flat shift support
Anti-lag
Fuel relay control
Water / Meth injection control
Shift lights, fan control, generic programmable outputs etc etc
All pre-built for half the price of a ViPEC :)

Adam.Findlay
03-04-2011, 11:24 AM
hmm so 550 pounds for a full sequental ignition and fueling ecu
will this be wire in or plug in like the ms2 that scott posted?
depending on my earning capibility i think the ms3x is now on my shopping list

scott.mohekey
03-04-2011, 11:33 AM
I'm not 100% clear on what you're saying here, our engines use wasted spark so we only need 3 ignition outputs, all MS units (http://www.extraefi.co.uk/compare.htm) support up to 4 ignition outputs (however only the MS2/3 will be compatible as the MS1 can't drive the Stepper Motor Idle Adjust).

Jason, I was responding to Taylor's comment about any plug in evo efi system. They may not have more than two ignition outputs as they may be designed specifically for wasted spark on an evo.

The ms3 with ms3x is what I'm getting to run my lexus v8. It'll have full sequential ignition and injection, crank and cam sensors, two knock sensors, and two wideband o2 sensors etc. I'll be using the boost control with a pair of td04/5s as well.

Adam, you MIGHT be able to get just the connector board from the DIYPNP and mate it up with an ms3, it would depend on whether they're willing to sell them separately. Otherwise, you'd need to splice an ms3 harness into the vr4 one.

Adam.Findlay
03-04-2011, 12:39 PM
Jason, I was responding to Taylor's comment about any plug in evo efi system. They may not have more than two ignition outputs as they may be designed specifically for wasted spark on an evo.

The ms3 with ms3x is what I'm getting to run my lexus v8. It'll have full sequential ignition and injection, crank and cam sensors, two knock sensors, and two wideband o2 sensors etc. I'll be using the boost control with a pair of td04/5s as well.

Adam, you MIGHT be able to get just the connector board from the DIYPNP and mate it up with an ms3, it would depend on whether they're willing to sell them separately. Otherwise, you'd need to splice an ms3 harness into the vr4 one.
id rather wire do a wire in and strip the stock loom out to get rid of all the no use nonsense

scott.mohekey
03-04-2011, 09:47 PM
Adam, I have the two looms if you want to have a look at them. They're quite good quality, having each individual wire labelled across its entire length.

If you buy the kit form of the MS3 ($375 USD) from diyautotune.com, along with the MS3x ($90 USD), and the two looms, ($69 USD for the MS3 loom, and $78 USD for the MS3x loom), you're looking at a total of $612 USD (around 380GBP or $800 NZD). This doesn't include shipping, and the MS3 will need to be assembled, but I'm more than happy to help with that.

Adam.Findlay
04-04-2011, 12:53 AM
oh sweet so assembling it yourself savesalmost 200 pounds. ill have to get saving then

scott.mohekey
04-04-2011, 02:02 AM
Just do it like I am and get it in pieces. My next purchase will be the MS3 kit.

Adam.Findlay
04-04-2011, 06:12 AM
think ill have to let me know when you get the ms3 kit and i may have the cash to get one also

low_vr4
04-04-2011, 06:48 AM
think ill have to let me know when you get the ms3 kit and i may have the cash to get one also

I could be keen to get one further on down the track if they are good

scott.mohekey
04-04-2011, 07:28 AM
Will do. Shane has an MS2 for his, so we should know how good they are before long.

Adam.Findlay
04-04-2011, 08:21 AM
my mate in whakatane also has a ms2 on his r31 rb30e+t i can post results of that soon when its done

wintertidenz
04-04-2011, 08:24 AM
I am quite keen to see the results of someone putting this on a VR4 - it may be a good alternative to the Link G4 Extreme that I'm ultimately looking at.

Adam.Findlay
04-04-2011, 08:31 AM
ive been told that they have far superior processing power to the links. and are 1/3 the price. may not come in a fancy casing but does the job. just finding a professional dyno tyner in nz that knows their way around the software to get the most out of it could be a issue

scott.mohekey
04-04-2011, 08:39 AM
Yeah, I've heard nothing but good things about them. And we'll just have to become professional tuners on our own!!

Adam.Findlay
04-04-2011, 09:23 AM
yeah for sure. possible nz group buy??

scott.mohekey
04-04-2011, 09:26 AM
I'd be keen for that.

Adam.Findlay
04-04-2011, 09:28 AM
me too and if low-vr4 and winterinz are also in the future possibly carl too not for a while cos im a broke student but its a possibility to save money

low_vr4
04-04-2011, 09:34 AM
me too and if low-vr4 and winterinz are also in the future possibly carl too not for a while cos im a broke student but its a possibility to save money

hopefully ill only be a broke student for a few more months haha, want to get some teins sorted first then MS

Fully
04-04-2011, 10:01 AM
Jared from JC Racemotors set mine up, looked into this a bit for me and gave me some base fuel maps.
He manly deals in highly tuned drag cars and uses MS as the only management in the car.
He said he also set up a few 6A12's so I don't think there will be any issues =)

Comes with tune tools, wiring diagram, loom all labelled...etc

I am very excited to get this in the car =)

wintertidenz
05-04-2011, 09:44 AM
I am keen to get one, but maybe later in the year - I'll have to calculate a figure to save towards :P

scott.mohekey
05-04-2011, 10:00 AM
i am keen to get one, but maybe later in the year - i'll have to calculate a figure to save towards :p

do it!

Adam.Findlay
05-04-2011, 12:16 PM
I am keen to get one, but maybe later in the year - I'll have to calculate a figure to save towards :P

me too. but scott im keen to buy it all at once instead of part by part like you

wintertidenz
06-04-2011, 10:48 AM
I was looking at the DIYPNP Megasquirts that will connect directly into our existing loom this evening - looks pretty good, but I guess it depends on how our cars are set up. I know we run wasted spark, but how do our injectors run stock? Batch, sequential, semi-sequential? I'm suspecting that it wouldn't be too hard to readjust the car to another type of firing, but it is things like this that will need to be looked into before even looking at getting a kit in our hands to play with.

This is what I think would be needed so far to start looking at a bench harness test setup:
http://www.diyautotune.com/catalog/diypnp-nippon-denso-76pin-unassembled-kit-p-384.html
http://www.diyautotune.com/catalog/diypnp-upgrade-sequential-injection-kit-p-386.html
And most likely 3-6x these: http://www.diyautotune.com/catalog/diypnp-upgrade-bip373-ignition-module-and-heatsink-kit-p-387.html

If the wiring can be kept factory, then that is another huge advantage for the Megasquirt because it can be easily removed if returning the car to stock.

scott.mohekey
06-04-2011, 10:57 AM
Ours are wasted spark ignition and sequential injection, except under acceleration, when it switches to batch. Basically if you want to use the stock loom completely, you'll have to go wasted spark, but will be able to do whatever injection you want.

As for the parts you've listed, you'd need two of the injector modules (for a total of 6 injector drivers) and three of the ignition modules.

scott.mohekey
06-04-2011, 10:59 AM
Actually, you might not need any ignition modules, as it supposedly comes with four built in.

wintertidenz
06-04-2011, 11:24 AM
Reading back through the site I think you can only add one of the extra injection drivers in, unless you go to the MS-3... so it would have to run semi-sequential on our cars.

As for the ignition drivers, if ours are not internal to our ECUs then we don't need the BIP373 kit... I suspect that since we are already running wasted spark we wouldn't need the ignition drivers.

low_vr4
22-04-2011, 01:58 PM
http://www.trademe.co.nz/Trade-Me-Motors/Car-parts-accessories/Performance/Electronics/auction-370518378.htm

scott.mohekey
23-04-2011, 02:17 AM
Yeah, that's the one. Looks quite affordable really.

Fully
23-04-2011, 04:11 AM
Actually, you might not need any ignition modules, as it supposedly comes with four built in.

They can run 2 at a time.

sampsulo
29-04-2011, 10:43 PM
i live all the way out in Africa! but i would like to participate in the group buy so that one of you can ship me it after we have confirmed this is a fantastic option? what y'all say?