PDA

View Full Version : Auto locked up while driving

sightless
30-03-2011, 06:23 AM
Hi guys.

Was driving along today at apx 40km and the car felt like it locked into a gear with a bit of a clank sound and caused the car to slow right down to a stop. (rather quickly)
There are no flashing lights. No leaks, drips or anything that looks out of place.
The car starts fine

I can cycle through the gears, Go into Tip mode and move it to second.. normally you can feel it engage the gear. The revs do drop slightly when in D or R (with the brake on)
In neutral I could move the car - luckily where we were stopped there were some guys that helped to push it to a safe place.

We did a quick test and put it into reverse, gave it a little gas and it moved a couple inches then stopped.
Now when in neutral it wont move at all. :furious4:

Any ideas what this could be - it defiantly feels mechanical.
Located in Mt eden auckland if anyone wants to come have a look - do have beer :)

elnevio
30-03-2011, 07:40 AM
Pull the fault codes, there may be some stored anyway that could help.

sightless
30-03-2011, 08:17 AM
Ok I put into fault mode - the AYC, Engine, ABS, TCL off, Skidy car lights are all flashing but they are constantly flashing - no pauses on any. Counted over 100 on each...
The odd bit is we were able to push the car in neutral a reasonable distance - Then it wouldn't go any further than a couple inches in the next try.

With the brake on - Going into reverse the revs behave as you would expect, same with going to D. and back to free revving in neutral.

Could it be an output spline from the box?

Ryan
30-03-2011, 08:21 AM
Could it be an output spline from the box?

That was my first thought.

Gly
30-03-2011, 10:11 AM
could be,

ill have that spare when i finishing pulling the white vr4 apart
maybe the transfer-case??

id also check the trans oil?...
possible terminal trans failure?

sightless
30-03-2011, 10:12 AM
I dont think it is terminal trans failure as it seems to go into gear (the revs drop when in R and D and go pack to normal in N and P)
Really gutted as i was going to be driving it to hamilton this weekend to finally sell it!
Trans oil is still i nice colour

sightless
31-03-2011, 09:11 AM
Ok - Buyer is still keen pending the repair - I have cash and beer/Nachos available for someone that either A)has a gearbox(ECU as well, this is a 97) to swap mine over or B) can fix the output spline (suspected)

Creating new thread in NZ section