PDA

View Full Version : WTB Auto Trans + Fitting

sightless
31-03-2011, 09:15 AM
Hi all,

I have a box with an output shaft that has been stripped.
Car currently engages all gears but does not move.

I am wanting to buy an auto trans + ECU (or a 1997 compatible box) + fitting.
I have cash available for the work + Box. And refreshments :)

Situated in Mt Eden.

Failing to find this option i will be having to $1 reserve my car - and i dont really want to do this.

Post here or PM me for more info.

Cheers

Adam.Findlay
31-03-2011, 09:28 AM
if you have just done a output shaft you may just need a shaft, maby a transfer case if it has damaged the splines on the inside of that.
i would do the job for you but being in chch i cant hope a auckland member can help out

Gly
31-03-2011, 09:46 AM
i can supply a auto vr4 output shaft and transfercase,

not really interested in supplying labour,

sightless
31-03-2011, 10:45 AM
If i can find labour Gly I will be keen - see how the next couple days go.
As mentioned - I'm happy to pay for the service - My budget is about 1300 -> 1500 including parts and associated oils

taylor
31-03-2011, 11:22 AM
i could probably help out, i have most tools but dont have stands engine crane or jack as they are still in christchurch

sightless
31-03-2011, 11:39 AM
This is good - I could buy some engine stands and a proper jack - I would have use of them in the future - Any one with an engine crane for hire?

taylor
31-03-2011, 11:53 AM
you can hire them from hireplaces.

Are you 100% its your output shaft? Ive done mine on the manual box, but I understand there is a lot more that can go wrong with the auto box.

I am a bit of an expert in getting the manual box (4 times now) out and the auto isnt a hell of a lot differnt. Happy to come have a look or whatever in the weekend, im in the city center, i could pm you my number if you like.

sightless
31-03-2011, 07:58 PM
That sounds great taylor. I'm not 100% sure but as the engine/auto will engage gears it seems to be that.
PM your number though - Ill be around all this weekend and would be really awesome to get another opinion.

scott.mohekey
31-03-2011, 09:27 PM
i could probably help out, i have most tools but dont have stands engine crane or jack as they are still in christchurch

The engine crane is still in Christchurch because its mine :p

scott.mohekey
31-03-2011, 09:28 PM
If you find that it IS in fact more serious than just the output shaft, and you have trouble finding a replacement auto, I have one in really good condition down here. It came out of a car that had only done 100,000k and was very well looked after. Shifted very quickly, every time.

Kenneth
31-03-2011, 10:10 PM
I also have parts.
However if it is just the output shaft, I would recommend you get a new one from Ralliart as they are only about $200-$250 each for an Evo9 one. Mitsi changed the part numbers for that, so hopefully it is also a stronger shaft.

I did this for my Galant after twisting mine. You wouldn't know it was twisted by looking at it though, which is why I would be dubious about fitting a 2nd hand part when a OEM replacement isn't going to break the bank (especially compared to the effort/time involved in the job)

I have a engine crane if need be. Not sure how easy it is to transport though. Don't really have the time at present to assist otherwise though sorry.

Gly
31-03-2011, 10:13 PM
the shaft is longer on a auto ken (so ive been lead to beleive from previous auto-man conversion threads)

so not sure the evo shaft is a viable upgrade/replacement on autos?

Kenneth
31-03-2011, 10:18 PM
You are talking about the lay shaft, I am thinking he is talking about the hollow one which is attached inside the centre diff.

sightless
31-03-2011, 11:03 PM
Unfortunately im not knowledgeable enough to know which it is exactly.
I have a landrover available for transport - Do you have a preferred place Kenneth to get the parts from?
Im guessing ill be up for some gaskets as well?

Gly
01-04-2011, 01:20 AM
no point in buying aparts if you dont know whats broken.

you'll have to decide to sell it as is, or take it apart and fix it

it could be a broken torque converter?
its all guessing till its taken apart

taylor
01-04-2011, 06:56 AM
happy to get stuck in and give you a hand getting it apart. then we can see whats wrong.

ill pm you my number now

what is the telltale sign of a rooted tourque converter guys?

VR4WGN
01-04-2011, 07:03 PM
putting it in drive or reverse and not even a slight bump or movement sensed.. itll sound like a turbine spooling,slowly,slight rubbing but not enough to cause and grinding.
mainly if the TC went while he was driving or something he would have heard a slight bang and then no drive whatso ever,if its the gearbox it shouldnt engage gears either,but as al lsay you wont know till you take apart, i from experience doubt its the Xfer case and point to the actual box but again,speculation can be false too.

if you got the car to me i could to it for you,supply everything and do labour,i will only charge you 100 for labour to help you out and then you just pay for parts used(if any)

VR4WGN
01-04-2011, 07:03 PM
just dont sel lthe car on a whim.. youll lose big time ok,so selling as is is not an option dude,we wil lhelp you out

taylor
02-04-2011, 09:43 AM
Had a decent go at this today however couldnt get the center shaft out, tried the method with the jack but with the hammer I had it just wasn't enough to pop the circlip, does anyone in the auckland area have a slide hammer we could borrow?? Failing that a sledge hammer with a short handle?

Cheers guys

scott.mohekey
02-04-2011, 09:47 AM
Was the transfer case still bolted up and hard against the transmission when you tried it Taylor? If its not, it'll put weight on the lay shaft and make it much harder to get out.

taylor
02-04-2011, 10:37 AM
yeah hard up on the dowles, not bolted it but sure as hell not going anywhere.

Whenever ive done it with jack its taken a decent hit with a hammer with some good weight behind it.

scott.mohekey
02-04-2011, 12:36 PM
You need to eat more weetbix!

wintertidenz
02-04-2011, 09:33 PM
Bolt it back up and try again, myself and Brad had a time getting my output shaft out when it wasn't bolted up.
It could have also twisted and is not lining up, if that's the case then you may need to disassemble the transfer case and pull it out from the TC side.

sightless
03-04-2011, 09:26 AM
All sorted - box is now out and inspected. A lot of metal shavings throughout it. Looks like bearings somewhere have gone and then been shredded.
Have a new box awaiting to go in next weekend.

A big thank you to Taylor for his time this weekend and Kenneth for putting the new box together today.