PDA

View Full Version : searching for chrome oil cap, stainles full exhuast system, and stotted/drilled disks

sta
13-10-2004, 09:59 AM
hi,
haven't been on since the big crash, but very pleased to see the new site up!

:cool1: can anyone help?..I am looking for a chrome oil filler cap, a full complete new (homemade?) stainless system ( saloon) and new slotted or drilled front brake disks.

I've spent the summer lowering her, putting on 17" ace 216 wheels and revamping the suspension and brakes.

suspension: apex springs ( nickel plated), koni shocks, all new rubbers and parts( nickel plated!)

brakes: The 4 original callipers refurbished by EBC brakes northampton, nickel plated by Protech. Dust shields also plated. New rear disks( nickel plated!)New stainless brake hoses (goodridge). For now EBC budget pads, which have cured the 'warping' effect, so still using original disks..but seeking to change, so I can plate them.

The biggest difference is in the braking..wow...no need to upgrade the disks as I had thought. The cost was only about £400 to completely do the braking system including the hoses which together with the refurbished callipers make it brake well even at top speeds, ..and I refilled it with dot4. They look great. When i join fully, I'll post some pics.
I've also got an original strut brace to fit..part plated( of course), which I am happy to attempt reproduce for any member, if there is enough interest maybe make a template for it!
I'm now working in the engine bay, having stripped off the front bumper and treated the surface rust growing there! Nickel plated sump (I have) and rocker cover will follow soon! and as many pipes as I can easily remove and refit.

look forward to keeping you in touch with the mods as they happen.

sta :cool1:

Kieran
13-10-2004, 06:43 PM
Hi Sta - Nice to hear from you! :) :-b

Nice list of mods there.... Given me an idea or two!!! :-D

sta
13-10-2004, 09:47 PM
hi Kieran
be happy to show you the results, Its an EA5 saloon like yours..you are only just up the road. In the meantime still some plating still to be done:)... i'd like to strip it out and redo the interior also!. :)..I'm always open to ideas..and happy to share my experience so far...if anyone wants a number for the s/s hoses..it was merlin motor sports. I will find the number if anyone wants it :)

Once I can get the drilled/slotted front disks on it it will be great! ...a chrome oil filler cap and a stainless exhaust will help to complete it...:)..

craig-1
15-10-2004, 08:06 PM
hi,
haven't been on since the big crash, but very pleased to see the new site up!

:cool1: can anyone help?..I am looking for a chrome oil filler cap, a full complete new (homemade?) stainless system ( saloon) and new slotted or drilled front brake disks.

I've spent the summer lowering her, putting on 17" ace 216 wheels and revamping the suspension and brakes.

suspension: apex springs ( nickel plated), koni shocks, all new rubbers and parts( nickel plated!)

brakes: The 4 original callipers refurbished by EBC brakes northampton, nickel plated by Protech. Dust shields also plated. New rear disks( nickel plated!)New stainless brake hoses (goodridge). For now EBC budget pads, which have cured the 'warping' effect, so still using original disks..but seeking to change, so I can plate them.

The biggest difference is in the braking..wow...no need to upgrade the disks as I had thought. The cost was only about £400 to completely do the braking system including the hoses which together with the refurbished callipers make it brake well even at top speeds, ..and I refilled it with dot4. They look great. When i join fully, I'll post some pics.
I've also got an original strut brace to fit..part plated( of course), which I am happy to attempt reproduce for any member, if there is enough interest maybe make a template for it!
I'm now working in the engine bay, having stripped off the front bumper and treated the surface rust growing there! Nickel plated sump (I have) and rocker cover will follow soon! and as many pipes as I can easily remove and refit.

look forward to keeping you in touch with the mods as they happen.

hi sta have you tried funky product for your oil filler cap and you might want to try national racing for your discs they come in at around £120 for the front pair...what type of ebc pads are you using im using green ebc pads with the national discs and find them very reasuring..nice list so far on your mods looking forward to seein the pics

I-S
15-10-2004, 09:52 PM
Black Diamond KBD-459-COM, £110.66 per pair from needforspeed.co.uk will do you for the discs perhaps. Whether a better or worse recommendation than the nationals, I don't know. I have the 459-CDs (same but without grooves) and they're good, but I've not tried anything else (other than stock discs which were warped to the delta quadrant...)

sta
03-11-2004, 08:35 PM
hi thanks very much for the tips!...been away...back to look for an exhaust!:)...
the pads are just the very basic ebc pads...but the braking seems to be spot on...maybe because of the stainless steel brake hoses...seems to brake fantastically!...so not sure whether to go for the ceramic ebc pads next time... watch this space...
will be ordering the front discs this week..and sending them for nickel plating:)

making the most of the dry roads before the winter:)

sta
03-11-2004, 08:40 PM
hi again...by the way,
Issac how long / many miles have you had your new disks?..any sign of warping ? ..i'll probably flip for which ones I go for unless anyone knows of any significant differences....i know that my discs are bigger than 256mm diameter now, as I was originally supplied with the wrong drilled and slotted dics. ( now for sale!)

Hi Craig..thanks for the tips.....i dont suppose you have contact details for national racing and funky products?...are the ss oil filler caps quite standard then?

cheers

sta

Japmetal
03-11-2004, 10:39 PM
I have had Black Diamond drilled/grooved discs & predator pads fitted front & rear on my car for about 4 months/ nearly 1000 miles now [I recommended them to Isaac !] and the braking improvement is excellent with no problems so far !

After a small brown-trousers incident yesterday on the way to work, involving a quiet back road, an 8.00am commute and a turning truck blocking the road I now know I have the ability [aided by my ABS] to go from 80mph to a full stop in under 30 yards :$ :lipsrseal

Dont know of any significant differences between Black Diamond and National Racing, since people on here have only used one or the other with equal amounts of praise.

I'd be interested in some nickel-plating myself; do you do it yourself, or know someone who does ?

sta
03-11-2004, 11:14 PM
hi jap metal
thanks again for the feed back....yeah the nickel plating was done locally in Northampton by Protech, but I had to do all the preparation, stripping paint...and for the callipers I had them bead blasted (BY EBC), then I had them metal polished to a mirror finish, and then I had to scrub them up with loads of turps..before passing them to be nickel plated. EBC then put them back together with all new rubbers after pressure testing them. Protech had masked off the inside of the cylinders. I have had the sump and many other parts plated, but I ended up buying these new from my friendly main dealer, who gives me a very helpful discount.
I don't think Protech would do mail order, but they do do a very good job. If you check locally, I'm sure someone would do 'electrolytic nickel plating'. But think about getting parts polished first. I took in a batch and it worked out much cheaper than one off parts. If you need any more info just ask.:) EBC might do mail order, but they will only zinc plate the callipers. You could then more easily have those nickel plated by someone at your end? but it is a risky job if your car is off the road and your callipers then get messed up. I left it up to EBC AND Protech to get it right...and thankfully they did...but I was without my car for 5 weeks....but it took that long for goodridge to make up my stainless steel hoses from my original hoses.

Japmetal
04-11-2004, 10:35 PM
Thanks for the info ! If all goes to plan I may be off the road for a while next year for an engine upgrade :lipsrseal So I'll look into this at the time - the only thing I really want plated is my rocker cover TBH :)

sta
04-11-2004, 11:59 PM
cool...i've just sorted my rocker cover...I just had a 1 new one, as only the front rocker cover shows! i'm getting a stainless version of the leads cover made soon.

let me know if i can help...