PDA

View Full Version : cooling the rear turbo

VR4Kaos
06-04-2011, 10:32 PM
has anyone found a way of cooling the rear turbo apart from the obvious cut a huge hole in the bonnet lol thinking that the front turbo gets all the cool air at the front of the engine but he rear gets naff all init :furious4:

aboo
06-04-2011, 10:39 PM
You'v answered your own question Karl. Get a vented bonnet/yes

VR4Kaos
06-04-2011, 10:51 PM
i don't wanna put a vented bonnet on if i can help it tbh Andy mate

Davezj
06-04-2011, 11:02 PM
this has been discussed at length in other threads, i know because i asked the question.
not sure what the thread title is though.
a big part of the discussion was around the fact the exhaust side of the turbo wants to be as hot as possible, to make the turbo more efficiect. the hott you can keep the exhaust gas the quicker it will flow through the turbo and thus creating boost quicker.
so the best way to cool the rear turbo is to keep it warm with some kind of jacket over the exhaust side of the turbo, which will keep the heat in and not fill the under bonnet with heat, and make the turbo more efficient.

well that is the basic jist of it.

VR457
06-04-2011, 11:23 PM
So why not fit one on? You can get these jackets. I saw some in the Burton Power catalogue.

Davezj
06-04-2011, 11:36 PM
all down to cost, i tried sourcing some and you are looking at a couple of hundred pounds for 2 universal type jackets that are a cut piece fire resistant insulation backed with silver fireproof ceramic fibrethen it is secured with some mtal cable ties, then there is the the pre formed snug fitting jacket made specially for a TD03 that just you just wrap round and clip up. i never found a correct fitting jacket for a TD03.
if you can find one that is less than £200 each let me know.

VR457
07-04-2011, 12:03 AM
http://www.burtonpower.com/catalogue-2011/cat-2011-page-83.html

This page shows what i was looking at. I don't know if that is suitable.

I can see how price would be the limiting factor here; that is a lot of money.

c0xxy
07-04-2011, 12:24 AM
why can't you use exhaust wrap for the turbo?

Ryan
07-04-2011, 12:31 AM
Exhaust wrap absorbs moisture so during winter when one drives less it could retain moisture to such an extent that rust starts forming.

Davezj
07-04-2011, 12:31 AM
http://www.burtonpower.com/catalogue-2011/cat-2011-page-83.html

This page shows what i was looking at. I don't know if that is suitable.

I can see how price would be the limiting factor here; that is a lot of money.

yeh that is £138 per turbo and it is one of the universal type jackets, but it would probably be very big for our little turbo's

c0xxy
07-04-2011, 12:37 AM
Exhaust wrap absorbs moisture so during winter when one drives less it could retain moisture to such an extent that rust starts forming.

surely thats just as damaging to exhausts as it is turbos?

Davezj
07-04-2011, 12:41 AM

that is whhy when you apply exhaust wrap it sould be done with wet wrap so when it drys out it goes reall tight. and when it get wet next time it doesn't just sag and go all limp and start to fall off.
but you are toatally right, it will absorb moisture and the exhaust turbo housing is steel unlike the compressor side that is aluminum. but i think the main reason not to use the exhaust wrap is you would really need to remove the turbos to fit the exhaust wrap and that is quite a major job. where as the proper pre formed jackets should just need you to remove the turbo heat shielding and fit the jacket.

Davezj
07-04-2011, 12:45 AM
quote:-
surely thats just as damaging to exhausts as it is turbos?

yes it is!

that's why not many people fit it.
but you should be alright with a stainless exhaust.
there is always the option of leaving the car running after you finish the trip you are on as the wrap should dry out very quickly once the water has stopped splashing up on it.
and probably why most times you see exhaust wrap used it is on the stainless headers only.

Wodjno
07-04-2011, 10:53 AM
Remove the rubber strip at the rear of the bonnet to let hot air escape..

VR4Kaos
07-04-2011, 10:56 AM

i thought bout that mate but won't that let excessive water in ?

Wodjno
07-04-2011, 11:22 AM
i thought bout that mate but won't that let excessive water in ?

Nah.. I Doubt it.. The channel for the water is in rear of that for the screen.. And when on the move the water will travel away from the gap..

Louis
07-04-2011, 11:28 AM

I agree, I do this in the summer :)

foxdie
07-04-2011, 11:32 AM

It's funny, before I even clicked to open this thread this was the first thing I thought of :)

VR4Kaos
07-04-2011, 11:37 AM
It's funny, before I even clicked to open this thread this was the first thing I thought of :)

yeah yeah J we beleive ya ;p lmfao

foxdie
07-04-2011, 11:48 AM
yeah yeah J we beleive ya ;p lmfao

Nah I'm totally serious, been thinking recently about doing this to mine :)

Davezj
07-04-2011, 01:21 PM
i did this on my old VR4, i has its advantages in do this but also has disadvantages.
disadvantages:-
it lets hot air out of the bonnet, straight in to the inlet of the cars ventalation system, so during the summer you are getting super heated air into the car.
the small of your engine come striaght into the cabin. i don't mind this but my wife hates it.
advantages:-
it lets hot air out of the bonnet. it must do, the cabin of the car gets hot if you don't have the air con on.

cop out statment:-
it depend on what speed you are doing as to weather the goes out of the back of the bonnet or in through the back of the bonnet. ( but that is another debat entirley).

so it is up to you (or is that your wife) if you want to do this.

the other option is to remove the insulation from inder the bonnet which allows the bonnet to get much hotter from the engine bay temp, and as you drive that heat is lost through the bonnet having air rushing over it acts like a heat sink.
this too has it's problems, the insulation is there (i believe) to protect the paint work on the bonnet from the high temp. i removed mine and the bonnet did not suffer issues, until i ran into the back of someone and crumpled it.

you pay your money, you make your choice, no wait these thing are completely free to do.