PDA

View Full Version : Chopping the seat mounting points!

Atik
08-04-2011, 10:27 AM
Ok, so as you know I have some Audi seats in the front of my Legnum. Now, due to the shape of the Legnum floorplan and the mounting points not lining up, I've used some aluminium brackets to make an artificial rail and mounted the seats using that. However, the seat is now very high and although it's not an issue for me (as I'm only likkle) I'd like to get the seats re-fitted a little better.

My question here is, would it be safe to chop off the 'knuckles' that the seat mounts to and weld a flat base for the new seats to site firmly in. Does anyone know if there is anything under the knuckles, like piping, or electrics or something? I know on the driver side under one knuckle, there is the fuel filler cap release, but if that is simply mounted, maybe I could extend it by crimping some extra wire to the existing one.

Any views?

foxdie
08-04-2011, 10:33 AM
I'd be interested in this as well, Atiks seats are most comfy and would like some ELECTROPOWAH in mine one day :)

Mark 4
08-04-2011, 08:29 PM
Atik, Aluminium is not a good material for seat rail brackets. I know that you only weigh about as much as a sparrow but in the event of an impact you really do need your seat to remain fixed to the floorpan. Otherwise the seatbelt and airbags will be worthless because YOU will be in the wrong place to benefit from them.