PDA

View Full Version : and my new purchase is carputer

VR4Kaos
08-04-2011, 10:33 PM
just got me a carputer as im still running on the original double din head unit after 15 months of ownership
specs are
Atom 330 dual core with 1.6 GHz clock
2GB RAM DDR2 @667MHz
Built in bluetooth
6 channel audio with build in additional RCA connectors for your amplifier
M2 ATX power supply with specs as follows:
- 160 watts output
- Ideal car Power supply for operating Core 2 duo, Celeron, AMD systems
- ATX, 6-24V wide input range
- Intelligent shutdown controller
- ON/OFF motherboard control
- Survives vehicle engine cranks
- Battery deep discharge prevention
- High efficiency, 160 watts output
- "Anti-Thump" Amplifier remote control - 15A automotive fuse (mini-blade)
The power supply is set to start 5 seconds after turning the ignition on and will automatically shut down (or hibernate) the system 30 seconds after turning off the ignition but you can set it up as you like.
It survives the starter motor and doesn't drain the battery when it's off.
You can plug your touchscreen's power supply directly to the PC to start them both automatically after turning the key.
also include:
-mounting bits for the hard drive,
-hard drive cable
-DC connector
-GPS USB dongle (I think it's surf III standard but not 100% sure, anyway it is compatible with all the popular software)
-OBD II USB interface to connect to the car's ECU
-Drivers
-User Manual and set up instructions

CANDEE
09-04-2011, 12:09 AM
I would add an usb DAC to this to give you more control over the audio side. :) A few guys over here are running something similar with Centrafuse on them & the usb dac and are loving them...

VR4Kaos
09-04-2011, 12:19 AM
cool mate thanks for the info just found my screen too heres the link
http://linitx.com/viewproduct.php?prodid=12535

VR4Kaos
09-04-2011, 12:23 AM
oh by the way whats a usb dac ?

CANDEE
09-04-2011, 12:41 AM
Something like this: http://www.minidsp.com/onlinestore?page=shop.product_details&flypage=flypage.tpl&product_id=73&category_id=7.

Basically a bigger/better soundcard...

VR4Kaos
09-04-2011, 06:41 AM
thanks for the info is their anything eles i should require to make it that wee bit more future proof/better
i just love getting things that confuse me tbh

apeman69
09-04-2011, 12:41 PM
thanks for the info is their anything eles i should require to make it that wee bit more future proof/better

Muchos wiring :)

Sent from my Huge Brain using MyFingers :)

Mark 4
09-04-2011, 09:03 PM

WTG Karl. Wish I had been as wise a couple of years ago.

VR4Kaos
11-09-2011, 03:10 PM
finally installed well nearly also have it looking more original to the car than the stock radio, having a few issues with my soundcard decided to buy a creative one and stuggling to maintain 5v even tryed direct from pc but thats only giving me 4.96 it uses a tomtom charger plug it into the mains and lights up great which gives out 5.11v so now in search for the right converter that will give me enough power.
got centerfuse installed and running which is absalutly mint can't beleive how good tbh once i got my head around it lol.
just need to sort the nav out on it
buy and fit obd cale oh and intsall evoscan
pics will follow

sampsulo
11-09-2011, 06:14 PM
Can't wait. Wanna attempt this feat after my projectors. Coatings would be nice.

---
I am here: http://maps.google.com/maps?ll=-15.573356,28.274270
Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

VR4Kaos
11-09-2011, 09:16 PM
a lot of work but well werth it imo

pezza
13-09-2011, 01:19 PM
I like the idea of these with touch screen in dash for example?

Any pix yet Karl?

Did you think about trying to build one from scratch?

paulg23
13-09-2011, 11:16 PM
stuggling to maintain 5v even tryed direct from pc but thats only giving me 4.96

Out of interest whats struggling to maintain 5V and why isn't 4.96v close enough? Excuse my ignorance.

wintertidenz
14-09-2011, 10:12 AM
Yes I would be interested as well... most computer things have a 10% tolerance, so you would have up to 0.5v either way.

VR4Kaos
14-09-2011, 12:57 PM
its the the output from my carputer Paul thats is only 4.96v and my sound card needs at least 5v not sure about the 10% bit tbh, id love to build from scatch Pezza but not got the knowledge mate

pezza
14-09-2011, 03:33 PM
its the the output from my carputer Paul thats is only 4.96v and my sound card needs at least 5v not sure about the 10% bit tbh, id love to build from scatch Pezza but not got the knowledge mate

Ahh ok, I am not 100% on all the aspects and parts needed but have rough idea. The advantage of buying what you bought tho is that it is car ready especially where power supply is concerned etc. the unit has some nice features. I also like the look of the screen you chose too....How have (or will) you mount the screen?

I was thinking about a mac mini and touchscreen kinda setup but not looked too deep into the components needed as yet but have been nudged in the right direction..

Looking forward to seeing pix of your install when complete

VR4Kaos
14-09-2011, 10:37 PM
well at first pezza i wanted to install an ipad basicly because i thought it would be eisyer more versatile and wouldent need half the wiring oh and dremeling but with a pc the limits are endless were an ipad certenly has lots of limits without naming and shaming lol
the power comes fron ignition live so powers up and shuts down with the key ive mounted the screen in the double din space so looks oe but because its 8" it had to be opened up and glue gunned to perpsect in order to keep air con ect ive mounted the power buttons for the screen in the sunglasses holder but they aint really needed tbh so my remove them