PDA

View Full Version : swapping turbos, how hard?

KwS
09-04-2011, 06:38 AM
Hi

need to swap both of my turbos. Ive never worked on a VR4, so not really sure what to expect.

I cant find any how to, or even a project log showing someone that has done it. Are there any tips to make it go a bit easier?

Im assuming radiator needs to come out, and then just lots of battling seized downpipe/manifold bolts. Front turbo out the bottom, rear turbo out the top? Do i need to remove the whole manifold, or just take the turbo off the manifold?

So not looking forward to it, but need to change them before i make the drive from CHCH to wellington >_<

Kenneth
09-04-2011, 07:12 AM
Are you replacing with standard units?

If so, the easiest way is to take off all the heat shields, remove the inlet manifold and intake pipe work and the radiator.

From there, undo the water and oil lines attached to the turbo core followed by the wastegate actuator (just un-clip it from the exhaust housing and lift off). Then undo the V Band clamp which holds the turbo core to the exhaust housing. From there you can remove the core and replace it with a new one.

KwS
09-04-2011, 07:27 AM
Are you replacing with standard units?

If so, the easiest way is to take off all the heat shields, remove the inlet manifold and intake pipe work and the radiator.

From there, undo the water and oil lines attached to the turbo core followed by the wastegate actuator (just un-clip it from the exhaust housing and lift off). Then undo the V Band clamp which holds the turbo core to the exhaust housing. From there you can remove the core and replace it with a new one.

OMG, how did it not occur to me to do that?

both standard units, so should be possible to do that. how does the vband come apart?

should the new turbo be primed with oil somehow?

Kenneth
09-04-2011, 10:01 PM
it is an 8mm nut that holds the vband clamp on. You might want to consider using some thread lock when doing back up, save the nut coming loose like mine if you didn't do it up quite tight enough :P

One method I have heard of is to leave the car running when you park up, lift the rear seat and disconnect the fuel pump. Let the car run itself out of fuel and don't reconnect the fuel pump.
Once you have installed the turbos, sit on the starter motor for a while until you get reasonable fuel pressure. Apparently it can take 30 seconds or more.
You can get a lubricant to pre-apply to the turbo core otherwise.

Might pay to just google it and see what information comes up.

Nick Mann
09-04-2011, 10:27 PM
I have never replaced just the core. The easiest way I have found to remove the rear turbo is to take the transfer box off. That gives a fair amount of access from below. The front is not too bad at all with the radiator out of the way.

KwS
10-04-2011, 01:19 AM
Only the seals are stuffed, so dont need to swap housings. Swapping the core saves a lot of effort dropping the transfer box too.

BEG4ME
10-04-2011, 07:27 AM
I did it at work on the hoist and dropped the whole engine and gearbox out as one. Took one afternoon and evening. Heaps easier on my body (regular back problems) and if you're close to needing a cambelt etc, simple simple simple.

KwS
10-04-2011, 09:03 AM
cambelt etc isnt due, and sadly i dont have access to a hoist. Really wish i did, would make life VERY easy as i would do exactly that, drop engine/box. Wouldve given it a de-grease/clean while there.

Im picking the replacement turbos up tomorrow morning, so after work ill have a look and see how hard it is to get the Vband off them. If its easy, ill start ripping into my car.