PDA

View Full Version : Gearbox/Various Problems..

OnBoost!
28-03-2011, 10:38 PM
my gearbox is now broken,took a wrong turn on the way to a course this morning,tried to turn around,but reverse would not select,put it back in first,then it locked up,can't select any gears,just got it back home on the tow truck. It's really bloody annoying,I have only done 10,000 Km's since I bought it in October 08.

What can I do to fix this,and how much would it be?

Subaru ETA
28-03-2011, 10:58 PM
I assume yours is manual? Sounds like it may have broken a selector cable mount on the top of the gearbox

OnBoost!
28-03-2011, 11:27 PM
Yeah it's manual. Can't select any gears.

Ryan
29-03-2011, 12:15 AM
Hard luck mate, I know that feeling of going home (or an impound yard) on the back of a flatbed :(

Gly
29-03-2011, 12:22 AM
check out the selector cable holders,

these are known to fail, when the rubber holding them together breaks

mpau009
29-03-2011, 02:33 AM
Thats some crap news Richard :-(

I vote Selector cable bracket too, it is a common fault for the symptoms you describe.

Check out post 15 of this thread for more info: http://www.clubvr4.com/forum/showthread.php?40112-1-week-to-the-day-of-ownership-amp-I-ve-broke-it-(-only-1-gear&highlight=selector+cable+bracket

If it is more serious I am happy to take the gearbox out with you if needed.

Good luck getting it fixed asap

my gearbox is now broken,took a wrong turn on the way to a course this morning,tried to turn around,but reverse would not select,put it back in first,then it locked up,can't select any gears,just got it back home on the tow truck. It's really bloody annoying,I have only done 10,000 Km's since I bought it in October 08.

What can I do to fix this,and how much would it be?

Kenneth
29-03-2011, 05:24 AM
+1 for selector cable.

Nick Mann
29-03-2011, 11:07 PM
:stupid:

OnBoost!
30-03-2011, 01:45 AM
My brother had a look at it yesterday,he managed to unjam the gearbox,and said something is making it jam. I was forcing the gears a bit,and ended up stretching the cables,so he's going to replace those first,and then see what happens with the gearbox. Hopefully it's not stuffed.

Gly
30-03-2011, 03:05 AM
id be dumping the oil first then,
cant imagine the cables are cheap? and aren't they adjustable to some extent?

OnBoost!
30-03-2011, 04:45 AM
I changed the oil about a year ago,but might be worth changing.

Don't know about the cables,my bro will check it out for me. I have no idea about anything to do with gearboxes......

VR4WGN
30-03-2011, 05:51 AM
if you do need a new box brad is picking up a engine and box for me this weekend and if you need it,then grab it ok just let me know what you wanna pay

OnBoost!
31-03-2011, 08:54 AM
Ok cheers Q,I will let you know if I need a new box,should find out within the next day or two.

OnBoost!
08-04-2011, 10:19 AM
I assume yours is manual? Sounds like it may have broken a selector cable mount on the top of the gearbox

Upon further inspection,it appears that the part that has the rubber mounts on it(I assume that's the selector cable mount) is broken,so have ordered a new one,hopefully upon fitting it,there won't be any internal problems with the gearbox.

Wodjno
08-04-2011, 10:22 AM
Upon further inspection,it appears that the part that has the rubber mounts on it(I assume that's the selector cable mount) is broken,so have ordered a new one,hopefully upon fitting it,there won't be any internal problems with the gearbox.

That a result /yes I had the same issue. I just drilled and bolted mine.. That was couple of years ago, and still holding out :) How much did the part cost, if you don't mind me asking ? (Yes i know your in NZ) :p

Wodj

OnBoost!
08-04-2011, 10:33 AM
That a result /yes I had the same issue. I just drilled and bolted mine.. That was couple of years ago, and still holding out :) How much did the part cost, if you don't mind me asking ? (Yes i know your in NZ) :p

Wodj

Nope don't mind,it's on order,will cost $85 NZ dollars,that's with my brothers trade price.

Mitsubishi's price was $105,plus GST!

Wodjno
08-04-2011, 11:02 AM
Nope don't mind,it's on order,will cost $85 NZ dollars,that's with my brothers trade price.

Mitsubishi's price was $105,plus GST!

That not too bad.. So prolly around £50 over here..

wintertidenz
11-04-2011, 07:19 AM
Richard - did you check with Ralliart about the part? They're pretty good on price, much better than Mitsi anyway.

kiteman
11-04-2011, 05:14 PM

Just like the other guys I had this problem 2 years ago. It would have been much cheaper to simply drill + bolt both sides of the original bracket.
Can I suggest you drill + bolt the new one and you'll never have another problem with it.

OnBoost!
17-04-2011, 09:53 AM
Yep,just like you guys said,it was that bracket,I replaced it today,and car runs good again..:D

Ryan
17-04-2011, 11:36 AM
Yay! Glad it wasn't a mega $$$ fix :)

OnBoost!
29-04-2011, 10:03 AM
Yeah me too,but unfortunately I have a new problem..:(

I was using the horn when someone cut me off,and it ended up being stuck on,so had to remove the horn relay. Went to Mitsubishi,they reckon something is broken inside,and it's not fixable cos it's got an airbag,the cost too replace that part was $1300!! :o

It wont be a problem until I have to get another Wof.....

Can anyone think of a cheap fix for this? or if someone has the required part.

I still got 3 months until the wof runs out.

Subaru ETA
29-04-2011, 11:46 AM
Prob a clock spring. Pick up a second hand wheel etc assembly

Gly
29-04-2011, 12:27 PM
ive got a spare, (clock spring) if it solves your issues $50?

OnBoost!
10-11-2011, 02:55 AM
This is still a problem,currently have no warrant or rego,and getting worried about fines from the cops.

A couple of guys from partsworld suggested scanning the system,to find out what the problem is.

Is anyone able to help me with this?

ive got a spare, (clock spring) if it solves your issues $50?

I have no idea what that is,or if it's that whats causing the horn to stay on...

Nutter_John
10-11-2011, 07:56 AM
The clock spring is the device that sits between the steering wheel and the steering column that transfers the electrical signals , if this is cracked then the wires could be shorting and causing the horn to stay on

or it could be the steering wheel that is causing the issue and has a short in the switch