PDA

View Full Version : boost controller

nick-f1
14-10-2004, 09:29 PM
Hi guys, does anyone have the diagrams that Andre posted re: underbonnet boost plumbing please? He posted these for wirdy on his boost controller help thread but they do not load. I would imagine they got lost in the site crash earlier this year.

Thanks

Nick.

Spirit
14-10-2004, 11:03 PM
Nick

There is a diagram on the Apexi website in the avc-r documentation area - http://www.apexi-usa.com/documentation.asp - hope that helps.

Legnum Boy
15-10-2004, 11:40 AM
What boost controller are/have you decided on?
Up until yesterday, i wouldn't have recommended the A'PEXi AVC-R as my one has been a barsteward to set up....

But today, mmmmmm Booooost!!!! :-D :-D

If you do get the apexi, I can supply step by step photos of the install, and a little advice on the settings. ;)

enigma
15-10-2004, 12:14 PM
The Apexi rocks!!!! :D

zentac
15-10-2004, 02:14 PM
Up until yesterday, i wouldn't have recommended the A'PEXi AVC-R as my one has been a barsteward to set up....

If you do get the apexi, I can supply step by step photos of the install, and a little advice on the settings. ;)
What happened yesterday to make you recomend it, and what settings you running?

Legnum Boy
15-10-2004, 07:05 PM
I couldn't get a steady boost and the spikes were really putting me off, so yesterday I started from scratch again....

Set it to 0.9 Bar, with 40% duty cycle flat across the rev range.
Of course, this was too low, but gave me a good idea where the spikes were occurring. Worked my way up the duty cycle bit by bit and have got it running a nice 0.85-0.9 steady boost, still with the occasional spike to 1.05 (on kickdown - which works nice)

I will post the duty/rev cycle graph when I have had a look, can't remember off hand, although, I know that it starts quite low - 40's and ends up in the high 60's.

I also turned off the self learning, cos it wasnt learning very well for me.
... and I moved the range down a step to have a different setting between 2500 and 3000 revs. :rolleyes5

zentac
15-10-2004, 08:02 PM
how do you turn off the self learn?

Legnum Boy
16-10-2004, 05:20 PM
You have to do two things to get self learn to stop fooking round with your boost levels...

1. Turn off the Gear Learn function for all gears. O = on - X = off
2. Turn off the FeedBack Speed in all gears. X = off - 1 = slowest 9 = fastest.

It was the feedback function that causes high spikes at lower revs. The faster you have the feedback set, the more it overshoots the selected boost.

With the settings turned off, as above, it no longer spikes and acts much more like a simple boost controller. I now have a very nice boost setting which gives me a very steady 0.9 bar.
It runs from 54% @ 2500 up to 64% @ 6000. Still fine tuning it though... ;)

nick-f1
17-10-2004, 08:07 PM

I,m actually going the mechanical boost route at the moment, for now. But aim to get an apexi or similar in the new year when/if funds allow, and will be very grateful for help and advice on settings.
Thanks
Nick

Polabear
17-10-2004, 08:36 PM
I,m actually going the mechanical boost route at the moment, for now. But aim to get an apexi or similar in the new year when/if funds allow, and will be very grateful for help and advice on settings.
Thanks
Nick

As i mentioned at the pod Nick my Blitz boost guage will be free soon too..... ;)

Kyoshu
17-10-2004, 08:57 PM
Does anyone have a pic of their engine bay with a manual boost controller installed? Just trying to troubleshoot some issues I am having after a tuning shop installed some stuff in my car.

nick-f1
18-10-2004, 09:49 AM
Does anyone have a pic of their engine bay with a manual boost controller installed? Just trying to troubleshoot some issues I am having after a tuning shop installed some stuff in my car.
Send wirdy a pm..... he might.