PDA

View Full Version : How to make a Manual Boost Controller....that works.

Oggie
13-04-2011, 04:57 AM
OK not sure if this has been poasted or not. but here goes..

while searchign for a good MBC i stumbled onto this.. care of dsmtuners forums.

i was gonna copy and paste the entire page with pics... but man i stuffed it up twice lol. ( must be sleepy yeah thats it! )/TTTH

http://www.dsmtuners.com/forums/articles-turbo-system-intercooler/184990-how-make-manual-boost-controller-works.html

link provided.

ILLEGAL
13-04-2011, 11:39 AM
50c will buy you a water drip system adjustable valve. or adjustable misting spray nozzel. its plastic, cheap and comes in a few different shapes but IT WILL let you adjust boost. 18psi on my factory turbos with this method... i still only use this method with my external wastegate.. although its a bit more complicated as 2 is needed, but i can easily hit 30psi all day! used this on all my cars no issues at all. i only have a EBC because it was given to me for free... it sits in the car, installed, but not in use.. neither is the boost controller from the MAPECU2. because, i only use my plastic "boost controller" :)

Oggie
13-04-2011, 01:02 PM
do a video of the item and upload to youtube. would be great to see it connected

pics of it and correct name? tyia

ILLEGAL
13-04-2011, 01:45 PM
will do :thumbsup:

Oggie
13-04-2011, 02:07 PM
will do :thumbsup:

sweet as apple pie!

tried looking on tardeme but tooo many bull**** hits for what you described.
I can get a MBC with dual settings for 130 usd. flick a switch and 14 psi. flick it back and standard boost.

and once again ty.

ILLEGAL
13-04-2011, 08:59 PM
if you want a switchable version, add on top of the water mist nozzle thing a electric solenoid and a switch, a go to pick a part and buy a electric solenoid to put before the nozzle. when the solenoid is closed its factory/wastegate spring pressure boost and with it open its what ever boost setting the nozzle is making..

you can get abit more tech'y!! and use a bonnet pin switch mounted onto your accelerator pedal and hook it up to a relay that will power the solenoid. so when you try to go full throttle, the pedal will sort of stop before going to the floor, at the bonnet switch (it will give abit of resistance). then to activate full boost just press the pedal to the floor which will open the switch causing the relay to activate the solenoid which will give you the boost setting on the water nozzle :)

Oggie
14-04-2011, 02:35 AM
*speechless* aint decided why, right now i am sooo speechless lol.

are you talking about this???

http://images.trademe.co.nz/photoserver/tq/95/122529195.jpg

ILLEGAL
14-04-2011, 02:10 PM
lol!!! yeh NAH, not that :) video 2moro nite LOL *speechless as*

Oggie
14-04-2011, 08:43 PM
lol!!! yeh NAH, not that :) video 2moro nite LOL *speechless as*

if you rick roll me you are a dead man there will NOT be a life you will be able to hide. in.. i will haunt you till the end of time lol

ILLEGAL
15-04-2011, 12:33 PM
hope your ready for the total awesomeness your about to see :)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Oeg2auDvnM8

Oggie
16-04-2011, 04:23 AM
hope your ready for the total awesomeness your about to see :)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Oeg2auDvnM8

thanks just tried mitre ten they had NONE in stock. will try the warehouse on monday or something.

tyvm

Davezj
16-04-2011, 09:00 PM
The first post shows what looks like a standard ball and spring MBC. Which can be bought from ebay for £10 why go to the hassel of trying to make one?

The plastic boost vlave can be bought from and aquatic distrubuter one of the valves that controlles air flow for a a few pence.

But a proper metal mbc would be better, the is a reason why a turbosmart mbc cost over £50, and that is because they work and are tested. But like anything in life the choice is yours.

ILLEGAL
16-04-2011, 10:57 PM
um? im not 100% sure, but i think the turbosmart item is just a adjustable valve as well.. you still get boost spike and boost creep from a turbosmart MBC. my mate (years ago) had 1 and wanted me to replace my plastic water misting nozzle and see if it made extra power.. i replaced it and.... ...NO change. it would still boost spike upto 21psi, then settle down to 18psi, then drop off to 15psi by redline. yes there is a reason they cost more but it has nothing to do with the operation of the kit. a EBC on the other hand has a reason to cost more as most will allow for quick spool, and they will try to counter the way the boost tappers off at the end of the RPM. not to mention all the R&D gone into it.

after almost 15 years of testing done by myself, with my last 3 turbo cars and alot of my mates and familys cars. i am more then happy to place this into the market place as a boost controller... im going to BRAND it as the "ILLEGAL boost controller" my kit will come with a barbed T piece and 15cm of silicone hose for installation. probably sell it around the NZ$15 mark for fun.. back when i was 16 i was selling them @ NZ$50 each and they even came in a box :) it clear it never made me my millions of dollars.... but one day?

Oggie
16-04-2011, 11:53 PM
i''ll buy it for 15 bucks lol.

might also wanna include "instructions"

Wodjno
17-04-2011, 03:10 AM
Get a Bic pen. Throw out all the insides. Attach a "T" piece into the boost line, with a piece of pipe coming off the "T" that will attach to the Bic pen.. Get a bolt that screws snuggly into the Bic pen.. Mark the depth it go's into the pen. Then with a hot needle, melt some small holes inthe side of the pen in the region of where the bolt screwed inside down to the mark you made. Put the bolt back in... Turn the bolt so that 1 or part of 1 hole is no longer blocked by the bolt. Go for a run and log your boost. Keep winding out the bolt until the desired boost has been achieved ..
Cost ? And old pen you already had. And old bolt you already had.. An bit of pipe you had laying around.. The cost of the "T" piece and a few small cable ties..

ILLEGAL
17-04-2011, 05:09 AM
i''ll buy it for 15 bucks lol.

might also wanna include "instructions"

doh!!!!! i knew there was something i was forgetting .. might have to make it NZ$20 with instructions LOL.

the bic pen sounds more like me i cant believe i never found that one earlier. much cheaper (more profit) in that design :) gona even have mine BRANDED "BNZ" gota love those free pens.. jk

but honestly love the whole pen idea, i will most defiantly try it. i think im going to be happy with the results... watch this space

Wodjno
17-04-2011, 05:44 PM
the bic pen sounds more like me i cant believe i never found that one earlier. much cheaper (more profit) in that design :) gona even have mine BRANDED "BNZ" gota love those free pens.. jk

but honestly love the whole pen idea, i will most defiantly try it. i think im going to be happy with the results... watch this space

Just watch it doesn't melt :D

jjayokocha
16-05-2011, 09:12 PM
woth the mbc installed do i need to disconnect or bypass std boost solenoids?

Davezj
16-05-2011, 09:20 PM
Disconnect the factory boost solenoid (leave electrical connection to it) just remove the boost pipe from it.
Fit MBC where the factory solenoid was in the boost pipe.

jjayokocha
16-05-2011, 09:31 PM
From what i could see the other day the solenoid closest to front of car has 2 pipes going into the top of it & rear solenoid has 1 into the top & 1 out the side over towards airbox?

My mbc looks to have pipe coming from the side outlet of boost solenoid into the mbc, then out the other pipe on mbc into the intercooler piping that sound correct?