PDA

View Full Version : what are the symptoms of blown turbos

kiteman
17-04-2011, 12:55 PM
I have a problem with my car, not accellerating like it used to coupled with a blueish smoke from the exhaust.
Moving away, flat to the floor it takes a couple of stabs on the pedal to get it moving quickly. This is also the case going up through the gears.
I'm told it could be blown turbos, any ideas, please.

Wobble
17-04-2011, 12:57 PM
when driving down hill with foot off accelerator do you still get the blue smoke or does it go

Nick Mann
17-04-2011, 01:32 PM
What Dave said. It could be one of your turbos is shot, but there are a couple of things to do to help confirm the issue. Firstly do what Dave said above. Find a nice long downhill stretch and start going down it with some decent speed and your foot completely off the accelerator. After 10 seconds or so do you have a lot of blue smoke appearing at the back? Secondly, remove the Y pipe and check the pipes from each turbo. Often you'll see a difference in the amount of oil in each pipe, obviously a lot in one pipe points to a bad seal in the related turbo.

Fully
17-04-2011, 02:00 PM
I thought you see big clouds of smoke if a turbo seal has gone?

Could also be blowby. If the above doesnt give you any answers.
Check your spark plugs for oil on them.

Stuck PCV Valve
Valve Seals Gone Bad
Then compression test

Nick Mann
17-04-2011, 02:04 PM
Turbo seals tend to go progressively, so massive clouds of smoke might be a few thousand miles after the first signs of issues. Having said that, performance loss due to turbo issues is not normally the first sign! I'm not yet convinced the turbos are the problem, but it is worth doing the couple of checks mentioned if a mechanic has offered it up as a possible issue.

kiteman
17-04-2011, 09:26 PM
Thanks again guys, I'll have to drive a few miles to find a decent hill,
but I'll give it a go some night this week and report back.
Tommie
Ps, my problem started at an afternoon track session and I did notice I was topping
the oil up more than normal.

chris g
18-04-2011, 01:58 PM
Symptoms of a blown turbo or two...

...a pain in your chest...?

...a fear that your wallet is very thin...?

...a hollow feeling that your car will never go on the road again...?

kiteman
18-04-2011, 11:44 PM
Confusing time to say the least, I took my car for the down hill test tonight
and on the 5 mile drive to get there, its going like a bat outta hell.
No sign of the symptoms as described earlier.
Anyhow I did the down hill test twice, and not a sign of any smoke either.
On the way home feeling pretty happy with how its running, I floored it one last time
just to be sure, now the clutch is slipping, badly. Damn damn damn damn damn.

Wobble
19-04-2011, 12:19 AM
not good about the clutch ,mine is smokey at times and still havent found the problem with it.

it doesnt sound like your tubs though on a good note