PDA

View Full Version : V6 Question

Paul Beazer
16-10-2004, 09:31 PM
Being fairly new to this site, Im interested in getting some feedback about non-vr4's. Ideally i would like a vr4, but i think insurance and general running costs are going to put it out of my buget, sigh!

So instead I am looking at getting a v6 manual estate, i know nick mann has one. Can the various inhabitants of this forum offer any helpful advice and opinions on these fine looking machines? Are there any user forums or site relating to more general galant variants?
What should i expect to pay for one? I think im looking at about £6 - 8k depending on age?
Is there anything I need to know regarding servicing, faults etc. I can do most of the basic things myself, but things like timing belts etc make me scared!

Thanks in advance

Paul

PS For those of you luckey enough to own a VR4, bet you smile a lot!
:-D

krisby
16-10-2004, 10:01 PM
I've had mine for 7 weeks now, I do love it though I do sometimes wish I had thrown caution to the wind.

My insurance is only $590NZ, but is in no way any correlation to UK prices.

Haven't had any problems, but then for a 98 model on 56000kms I wouldn't expect to have any either.

I've had mine lowered, new 16" alloys and the cat removed, some rotting pipes replaced with newer larger diameter pipes and a generic sports muffler and a K & N Filter fitted.

Sound is a lot better now (kept the original tip, did not opt for a big bore exhaust tip, its loud enough without it, any more would be too much), with the OEM muffler it was quite muted, under hard acceleration all the noise was coming from the engine, now when I start the car I get a nice burble as it kicks into life, then cruising around town it just burbles nicely, not too offensive though, and when I plant it I can feel a few more geegees, and it makes a noise that lets me know I am accelerating.

The four wheel drive system is pretty godd too, I have had some fun round roundabouts and the twisties, especially with my new tires, the second hand ones I had fitted when I got the alloys were shocking, so I have had Federal (the same as Hankook) tires fitted, a lot gripper, quieter and agressive tread pattern, and for $140 a tyre, when a Goodyear F1 costs $220, and maybe has a better looking tread pattern, but I bet I wouldn't get the same satisfaction out of them given the price difference.

The car loves to be revved, mine sees the red line several times a day (probably explains my pathetic fuel consumption).

Overall a very satisfying car, though when I am lined up beside a VR4 at the traffic lights I can't help but want for more.

Unlike some 25ST I have the tinted windows, which with my business sign writing it actually looks quite cool.

krisby
16-10-2004, 10:03 PM
something weird happened there, jumbled a couple of lines around, but you get the jist!

Nick Mann
16-10-2004, 10:21 PM
35 percent cheaper, but only 25 percent less performance!

(I'd still have a VR4 if I could afford one, though.)

Timing belt and platinum plugs is 54k. This makes this service a LOT more expensive than the rest. Have a good look round, and you should get a 2000 Sport model in good condition for less than £6k. If you are willing to go older, then a V6-24 can be had for £4k or less. The cars are on the whole reliable, so if you think it has been looked after, then go for it!

When test driving, expect a small clunk between first and second, and don't be surprised if there is a bit of judder at low revs when the car is cold. If you go for the Sport, check the wheels, as the 17" alloys are prone to buckling or flatspotting - especially on the inside egde.

There is a 'Non 8G VR4' forum, which is mostly 8g's without turbos - although there are a couple of 6 & 7g's there as well.

Feel free to ask questions, but the more technical they get, the more likely we are to demand a membership fee!!

Spirit
16-10-2004, 11:53 PM
Polabear has a 1997 V6-24 2.5L estate for sale - it's immaculate (and I mean immaculate!) with FMSH and leather etc.....and it's a manual I think :-b

Kieran
17-10-2004, 12:23 AM
Polabear has a 1997 V6-24 2.5L estate for sale - it's immaculate (and I mean immaculate!) with FMSH and leather etc.....and it's a manual I think :-b

Thought Sean's was an automatic Pete?

Mind you, the INVECS-II is a creamy angel delight of an autobox, so don't write off the automatic as quickly as that.

nick-f1
17-10-2004, 07:56 PM
PS For those of you luckey enough to own a VR4, bet you smile a lot!
:-D
Umm yes we do Paul until we get to the fuel pumps! Again and again and again and............................................... ...............again.......... I think you get the picture. Anyway good luck in your search. :-b

Polabear
17-10-2004, 08:23 PM
Don't even go there with fuel Nick......since last saturday iv'e done £140........ :Cry1: but I'm still...... :smitten:

Polabear
17-10-2004, 08:30 PM

Actually its a 98 auto model Pete, with only 47k genuine dealer serviced miles, at avery resonable price... ;)

Paul Beazer
19-10-2004, 07:35 AM
Actually its a 98 auto model Pete, with only 47k genuine dealer serviced miles, at avery resonable price... ;)
What do you call reasonable?

Spirit
19-10-2004, 07:52 AM
Sean is coming to my place today so I have PM'd you his mobile number if you want to call hm after 9am he will tell you all about it.

Slimshady
09-12-2004, 11:56 PM
T/C could be a must – this is about the only thing my V6 (note: non VR4 – before you all say I am missing turbo units, AYC and 4WD, etc) does not have. I have just fitted new tyres and I can still wheel spin in 1st, 2nd, and 3rd gear (too much torque)

I am always a believer that T/C is for poofffffs (always switched it off in my dads BMWs) – however when I am at the lights thinking I can burn this guy off no problem ---- but I must take it easy or I will lose the battle if I wheel spin ---- this is not a good thought when the adrenalin is pumping. Also very bad for the tyres – not that I think it at the time.

I have not driven a V6 with T/C so I can not fully comment but I would like to try it and see the difference.

Hope this helps

Slim

Kieran
10-12-2004, 05:09 PM
T/C could be a must – this is about the only thing my V6 (note: non VR4 – before you all say I am missing turbo units, AYC and 4WD, etc) does not have. I have just fitted new tyres and I can still wheel spin in 1st, 2nd, and 3rd gear (too much torque)

I am always a believer that T/C is for poofffffs (always switched it off in my dads BMWs) – however when I am at the lights thinking I can burn this guy off no problem ---- but I must take it easy or I will lose the battle if I wheel spin ---- this is not a good thought when the adrenalin is pumping. Also very bad for the tyres – not that I think it at the time.

I have not driven a V6 with T/C so I can not fully comment but I would like to try it and see the difference.

:soapbox:

MY THOUGHTS EXACTLY!!!

Sorry to shout, but I find that the V6's power is frequently undermined by it's inability to transfer it to the tarmac in all but dry, warm and sunny conditions! Rain? Slight damp? Tarmac not at 8 zillion degrees centegrade? Pah! Forget it, unless you want to sit there spinning your tyres and looking like a prat!! :$

Big Ian
10-12-2004, 09:59 PM
:soapbox:

MY THOUGHTS EXACTLY!!!

Sorry to shout, but I find that the V6's power is frequently undermined by it's inability to transfer it to the tarmac in all but dry, warm and sunny conditions! Rain? Slight damp? Tarmac not at 8 zillion degrees centegrade? Pah! Forget it, unless you want to sit there spinning your tyres and looking like a prat!! :$

:laugh: :laugh: i know of a GLS that is also undermined.....?
i find i don't get much wheel spin in 1st it seam's to spin when i change in to 2nd :D ...might have something to do with hittin 8000rpm before i change!!