PDA

View Full Version : Goodyear Eagle F1 GS-D3 - Recommendation - Get these tyres now !

KiwiTT
17-10-2004, 10:14 AM
I have now had these tyres on for over 2 months now and can honestly say, I have never felt more sure of my car. In addition, I almost feel as if the car now exceeds my ability to reach its limits.

* They bite hard in every corner. No wheel spin, slip, movement, etc.
* They have so much traction, I never see the TC light anymore.
* They are not costly, (here in NZ anyhow), and they were imported from Germany.

If you need new tyres, i.e. failed the Car Inspection / Warrant of Fitness, etc. Get these.

Other members, have them as well, and rate them very highly. They may want to comment as well.

Spirit
17-10-2004, 11:00 AM
Yep I am on my second set of these and can wholly recommend them too. I would simply not buy anything else for the VR4 now.....unless Goodyear update these of course :-D

Give incredible grip and confidence on the road and track, and in the dry and wet.

If you look around in the UK you can get them for around £90-£100 per corner :-b

Lurch
18-10-2004, 01:23 PM
Dont get these if you have 18" wheels... cost me $420 a tyre... although these are the best tyres I've ever had. Even had them on my Prelude a year or so ago... fantastic.

KiwiTT
18-10-2004, 07:33 PM
Dont get these if you have 18" wheels... cost me $420 a tyre...

:scared1: Thats twice the price for 1" (i.e. 17" instead of 18"). I'll stick to my 17". At least I only pay $200+GST and fitting per tyre.

Lurch
19-10-2004, 02:42 PM
Yeah $420inc GST and fitting... for the 225 versions aswell. I miss my 17" wheels :( Might get a set of 17"'s ;)

Pete M
19-10-2004, 09:31 PM
I put a set of these in 225/50-16 size on my Legnum. That's on the standard wheels, and the gearing is unchanged. They bulge out the side a bit but are super sticky. I did a 400 mile drive a few weeks ago and in all the twisty stuff I only had the AYC light on once. That's a definite change to the previous worn-out Japanese Dunlops, they would show up the AYC lights quite easily. I paid NZD 251 each from a Goodyear dealer. My wife went away in the car with friends, and on hearing a thumping noise (mud?), one passenger asked if there was a stray hedgehog caught in the grooves of the tyre!
In the wet they feel the same as in the dry, and you can see the prints of the tyres on the wet road behind, with all the water gone. I'll definitely have them again. Pity they probably don't do a 215/70-15 for my Jag.

dickytim
20-10-2004, 09:15 AM
If you go to Auto Salon look at the tyres on 90% of the cars there and you will find the Goodyears.......They must know something

konman
07-12-2004, 08:21 PM
Got a set of these last night... holy hells teeth they are good... and they look mean too, much better than the japanese crap i had on it before. a set of 205/55/16 plus allignment and beaurepaires roadside insurance shagged me for $900, but its worth it.
Oh one question thought, the guy at Beaurerpaires said 32 psi each corner is enough, but they look under inflated on the front. an recommendation on pressure or should i stick to what the 'experts' tell me.

Pete M
07-12-2004, 09:22 PM
That's $100 less than I paid. You *must* be a Konman!
Good on yer for making the right tyre choice!
How wide are the grooves on standard size? On my 225/50s I can just about put my finger into them.

Roadrunner
07-12-2004, 09:26 PM
any recommendation on pressure
Mitsubishi recommend 32 front, 29 rear (for the Galant, don't know if it's different for the Legnum). I run either 34/31 normally, or 34/34 if I want the rear to be a bit looser.

konman
07-12-2004, 10:19 PM
the grooves are pretty big, like you could lose a small vietnamese family in one, and i cant wait to get them onto some wet roads and see what they really go like.
also thanks for the pressure advice ill put a bit more into them tonight. cheers boys :rolleyes5

Kenneth
08-12-2004, 01:24 AM
Increasing the pressure will increase tyre life (unless you pump them up so much that they go out of shape) by not heating up so easily.
Downside is that they will take longer and harder driving to get to their operating temp. Also, if you dont shed enough rubber, your tires will go off, considerably reducing grip.
When traveling around town, I run about 34/31 (same as H.7)
On long trips, I will increase pressure to at least 36/34 depending on the weather. no point increasing pressure if its raining as the water will keep the temperature down.

Lowering pressure will decrease the amount of time taken to heat up your tyres, but can cause excessive heat if conditions are not suited.

If you get your temperatures correct, your tyres will stick like s**t to a blanket, but you can also screw them up.

Imo 32PSI is a bit on the low side if you have a more agressive driving style... I would expect that they come out with a safe pressure even for those who like to have a fast car, but dont like to drive fast.

rikward
08-12-2004, 06:27 PM
I just just a set of these on for £375 for four including fitting and balancing from Chessington tyres. They're doing a deal of 4 for the price of 3. :D

They made an immediate difference even before I wore them in... :)

Physician
08-12-2004, 10:30 PM
I run my Avon ZZ3's at 34/32 and the performance is somewhat poor with my AYC lighting up three bars regularly. Never, ever get these ZZ3's as they are very poor in comparison to the Pirelli P6's I had initially - and they were badly worn!

I'll definitely get the Goodyear G3's next.

By the way, I was chatting to the owner of a racing car company and he looked at my tyres and told me to put 44/44 when on a dry track for racing ....... I thought they would *pop* at that pressure :sad3: :-D

KiwiTT
08-12-2004, 11:43 PM
The tyre has a maximum pressure rating, well above what you should have it at under normal conditions. I also fill my as cold as possible at 36/34 urban and 34/32 highway (i.e. when I make a long trip).

NOTE: I have 225/45 R17s which may be different to the standard R16s or the larger R18.

It is best to experiment and use your own "air pressure guage", as forecourt meters are known to be often inaccurate.

Kenneth
09-12-2004, 12:27 AM
my understanding is that the lower your profile, the higher your standard pressure.

KiwiTT: Why do you lower for highway use? Reducing pressure will cause your tires to heat up more, reduce their life and ultimatly your grip will suffer.

Im not supprised about the high pressure for track use. you give your tyres a pretty good pounding, and so long as you dont slow down too much temperatures should be good to give you best grip.

Slimshady
09-12-2004, 12:29 AM
I run my Avon ZZ3's at 34/32 and the performance is somewhat poor with my AYC lighting up three bars regularly. Never, ever get these ZZ3's as they are very poor in comparison to the Pirelli P6's I had initially - and they were badly worn!

I'll definitely get the Goodyear G3's next.

By the way, I was chatting to the owner of a racing car company and he looked at my tyres and told me to put 44/44 when on a dry track for racing ....... I thought they would *pop* at that pressure :sad3: :-D

I have just had a complete new set of the ZZ3’s fitted to mine – cheap but sticks to the road like 5h1t in the dry, but without T/C (don’t have it installed) – very crap in the rain and also cold temperatures – I have them inflated to Mitsy spec and can wheel spin in the first 3 gears easily – if you can suggest a better tyre let me know – because this time of year I will go through them very soon. :laugh:

Slim

KiwiTT
09-12-2004, 12:50 AM
... – if you can suggest a better tyre let me know – because this time of year I will go through them very soon. :laugh:

Slim

See thread title :lipsrseal :rolleyes5 :D

Pete M
09-12-2004, 12:54 AM
Title of the thread says it all....