PDA

View Full Version : A Question About Boost Gauges....

Erni902
22-04-2011, 12:09 PM
You will have to excuse my ignorance as I am still in the process of getting to know the VR-4. All ive dealt with is brakes so far.

So here goes, I am toying with the idea of performance upgrades but first I would like to install a boost gauge to make sure all is okay before I start breaking...i mean tinkering... with it. As we have two turbos on our cars (connected in parrallel.....??) I was thinking that maybe it would be slightly beneficial to install a boost gauge for EACH turbo. This way I can make sure that both turbos are functioning correctly and if there is a fault I can easily narrow it down to the correct turbo. I have VERY little knowledge of turbos (i am trying though) so not sure if I would see just a single turbo drop off the pressure with a single gauge. Meaning I would have to check out both of them if this were to happen.

This is the thinking that comes from my simple, no turbo knowledged, brain. Does anybody think this is worth doing and also has anybody done this before and found it beneficial?

Any help is much appreciated as im always looking to learn about my motor.

Rikki

Wodjno
22-04-2011, 12:14 PM
Hi

No need for 2 x Gauges.. 1 will suffice. In regard to 1 turbo breaking and being able to work out which 1.. Normally they start to let oil by there seal, so the pipe from the turbo with the fault will have more oil in than the other. There are other ways they can let go, but still easy to find which 1.

Wodj

Erni902
22-04-2011, 12:33 PM
Okie dokes cheers Glenn just the one it is then. Just another quick question...as ive only ever run N/A vehicles before with only the basic mods is there any other gauges you would recommend I use alongside the boost gauge for monitoring oil pressure etc. Im thinking of installing them underneath the stereo which has space for 3 gauges.

adaxo
22-04-2011, 12:58 PM
Hi, I am on the same boat ATM still looking around to find decent gauges and so far ppl recommend gauges from RSpec like those http://www.rspec.co.uk/index.php?main_page=index&cPath=3_82&zenid=8c619d0c8ece6c7d4fe9ef7135f1cfba

where I stuck for now is to find out differences if is any between electrical and mechanical gauges

This looks OK as well http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=400111481858&ssPageName=STRK:MEWAX:IT#ht_2254wt_901

low_vr4
22-04-2011, 01:09 PM
oil temp and boost are all you will need

mattnz
22-04-2011, 01:49 PM
oil temp and boost are all you will need

Bit of a sweeping statement. Oil pressure is never a bad idea.

666damned
22-04-2011, 02:10 PM
Bit of a sweeping statement. Oil pressure is never a bad idea.

agree............

Erni902
22-04-2011, 03:41 PM
Roger that guys so I reckon I will be going for Bosst, Oil Temp, and Oil Pressure gauges.

@Adam, I bought two 52mm smoked Boost gauges from an ebay shop called 'aggressivegauges'. However, I am now only going to be using the 1 so if your interested in the other one let me know and I will a couple of pics of it here. Its never been used never even taken out of the box. It measures in Bar (-1 to +2).

Let me know if your interested. If not I will stick it up for sale in the for sale forum.

Pugme
22-04-2011, 11:23 PM
iv just fitted my boost gauge, ill get you a picture tomorrow to make it easy for you drill a hole thru to run hoses/wires etc, all you will need is a drill, a 20mm hole saw and a gromit.

Davezj
22-04-2011, 11:41 PM
personally i would say go for the gauges that use a sensor to convert the relative signal to electrical then it is a wire to the gauge and not the relative fluid or gas.
the reason for me saying this is purely to do with leaks/failures,e.g. oil pressure, oil temp, water temp and boost pressure to a much lesser degree.
If you have leak/fail on a fluid fed gauge it can make a right mess of the interior of the car. i don't think there is any disadvantage to using a sensor fed gauge in this day and age, so that is the basis of my recomendation.
simple but true.
friend of mine had a oil fed oil pressure gauge and it leaked at the gauge end and pissed out oil all over the the back of the center console which was a bitch to clean up and get rid of the oily smell.

Goreden
28-04-2011, 08:32 PM
hi guys and gals just got a tt leggie and am in the same boat also, would like a turbo gauge but am a bit of a numpty when it comes to turbo'ed cars are they easy to fit and which gauge should i go for?
thanks for any help

sabreuk
28-04-2011, 08:37 PM
ive just fitted mine im using plasma gauges heres a link of it fitted and running in my lux before i put it in the vr4

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=p4wJF2zgE0U

i also fitted plasma dials aswell if anybody gets these and want a right up on how to fit them and a pic walk through giz a shout ill give you my right up :)
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_XwEl5nbUzM
i got all my kit off ebay and just found these lil babys think after my bov this is next on the list.
http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/Mitsubishi-Galant-plasma-tacho-glow-gauges-plasmaskiver-/130513720975?pt=Motors_Car_Truck_Parts_Accessories&hash=item1e6339568f

Subaru ETA
28-04-2011, 09:46 PM
iv just fitted my boost gauge, ill get you a picture tomorrow to make it easy for you drill a hole thru to run hoses/wires etc, all you will need is a drill, a 20mm hole saw and a gromit.

You don't need to drill any holes. If you take the drivers side guard liner down, and remove the driver side kick panel, you can run everything through the factory wiring grommets. If you open the bonnet and look at the drivers side behind the strut tower you will see the grommet that I mean

aboo
28-04-2011, 09:53 PM
This is where to plum it into http://www.clubvr4.com/forum/showthread.php?39064-Boost-gauge-amp-MBC How you run the pipe through is up to you. Also shows where to plum a MBC if your thinking about that but best to change plugs & leads before upping the boost.

HOODY
01-05-2011, 04:48 PM
cheers aboo the above link its what ive just been searching for for the last 15mins :)

aboo
01-05-2011, 04:55 PM
cheers aboo the above link its what ive just been searching for for the last 15mins :)Glad to help Steve/yes

Erni902
01-05-2011, 05:25 PM
Aha I knew I had seen that thread somewhere before...brilliant quality pics a big help. Just waiting for my gauge holder to tip up then will look at plumbing it in. Many thanks Aboo