PDA

View Full Version : BOV issues after tuner installed boost gauge

Kyoshu
17-10-2004, 09:35 PM
I have an issue. :(

I can't hear my aftermarket BOV now after a popular tuning shop installed a boost gauge for me. They blame it on the BOV and said it's venting, but not enough. If that's the case where is it venting to? I had no issues with the BOV and only purchased it 2 months ago. It was working fine prior to this. I took it back and they said everything is as it should be. Not being a mechanic, I couldn't really argue with them. It's like having your average Joe argue I.T. with me.

I took the BOV off at home and it looks and functions the same as when I first installed it. I'm still new to the turbo game, but would this issue have something to do with the vacuum hose to the BOV not working or being fitted incorrectly? Or something to do with not enough vacuum pressure (or something like that) coming through the hose, since one of the hoses where T'd off to the boost gauge?

NEED HELP PLEASE, cause it's getting really annoying and I don't know if my car is functioning as it should. I don't want to break anything and have been granny driving my car.

Thanks in advance,

Oscar

Spirit
17-10-2004, 09:41 PM
I would say that sounds like a total load of boll*cks ! There is no reason why a boost gauge would have any effect on your BOV - there are loads of us who have them both fitted with no issues - I would say you have lost some pressure somewhere.......how does the car feel to drive and when you floor it ?

Maybe a hose has come not been tightened properly ? What does the gauge actually read at max boost ? Also run the engine and lift the bonnet to see if you can hear a loud hissing noise too - would indicate an air release somewhere.

wirdy
17-10-2004, 09:59 PM
The pressure feed for a boost gauge is best fitted as close to the inlet manifold as possible (mine is tapped straight from it) - anywhere else & you're not getting a true reading - although we're talking very minor differences admittedly.

So if your installer has fed the boost gauge from the BOV actuation pipe you are getting a false boost reading AND loading the small diameter BOV actuation line with an additional volume of piping (that goes to the boost gauge) that is causing it to not open properly.
That's my theory anyway.

Like all things mechanical - if it worked fine before, then someone messed with it & it doesn't work now - then the person who messed with it is the problem. Take it back & insist the job is done to your satisfaction.
As Pete said, there are many of us in the club with fully functioning BOV's AND fully functioning boost gauges. They're not mutually exclusive. ;)

Kyoshu
17-10-2004, 11:23 PM
Thanks, guys. I think I am loosing pressure somewhere and that it is from the install they have done. I'll be taking it back to them for the 3rd time to see if they can fix it and make a point to myself not to go back there.

I don't know why I didn't go to ralliart to get it done in the first place (STUPID ME!!!)

ako
18-10-2004, 04:36 AM
This should be a REALLY straight forward thing to do. The boost gauge should have a line all of its own from your manifold to the gauge - thats it. The Blow off valve should have a line from the manifold to the fitting on the BOV (There is a line off the minifold specifically or this purpose.. Thats it. It's okay to tee off the boost gauge line for the BOV or vice cersa if its really necessary, buts its just better to keep things separate, for simplicitys sake.

The BOV hasn't been tightened right up has it?

Legnum Boy
18-10-2004, 06:54 AM
I don't know why I didn't go to ralliart to get it done in the first place (STUPID ME!!!)
I can relate to that.... Just had my braided hoses fitted at a local tyre centre, got them to stick my ds2500's on at the same time. Driving home, I could hear a rubbing noise from one wheel. Turns out, the guy forgot to tighten 3 of the 5 wheel nuts on one wheel, and the noise I could hear was the washers spinning freely... :rolleyes5 :rolleyes5
Still, learnt how to change the hoses and replace the brake pads now though.
Might have to go back and show them how to tighten a wheel nut... :-D

Kyoshu
18-10-2004, 10:22 PM
AKO:

no changes have been made to the BOV. It stopped functioning correctly after they installed the gauge. :(
I've spoken to the manager and I'm arranging a time with him to bring the car back in again to have this sorted once and for all. It looks like different lines where used for the BOV and the gauge, but not being an engine guru, I could be wrong.

Legnum Boy:

is the change simple enough to do?

Legnum Boy
19-10-2004, 03:28 PM
Kyoshu,

The brake hoses are extremely simple to change, just a little messy.
I had a very well made braided hose kit, which came with all new washers etc..
(Thanks Polabear ;) )
You do need two people to make bleeding the old fluid through easier and much quicker.

Sorry for the thread hi-jack.

Back on topic, Not having a BOV is excluding me from the discussion but I know where you are coming from when it comes to shoddy work being done to your car.

I have been affected too much in the past and now am trying to learn as much as possible, to be able to do the work I want done by myself.

Other than that, I will always be happy to pay the ralliart premium, and be safe in the knowledge that my car is in good hands. :dozey:

Kyoshu
26-10-2004, 02:18 AM
Had car checked out and all seems to be ok. Tested another bov and it works fine. :(

Not sure what could have happened between getting a boost gauge installed and now. Pulled to BOV out again for a closer look and all seems as it was when I installed it and I haven't had it for long.

Bummer.

edgejar
04-11-2004, 04:13 AM
There is a line off the minifold specifically or this purpose..

OO where abouts is this? Just want to double check mine is in right :D