PDA

View Full Version : Excessive Droning ??

Wodjno
17-10-2004, 11:12 PM
No .. And i don't mean the Missus .. :laugh:

I fitted a set of EBC Turbo Groove Discs and Red Stuff pads about 4-5 weeks ago .. Now i had heard of some feedback on these and good .. but did my own research and decided to go for them.. They are supposed to be very hard pads with very little dust of which i agree with .. But i have an excessive ammount of droning coming from the fronts .. They are ok when they are cold but once they heat up under hard breaking they sound like every other st of discs and pads that i have owned , but thats normally when they are totlly mullererd ... Anyone have this problem on any other types of disc or pad .. I think it's down to the pad myself and i'm gonna try changing to something else to see if it changes .. Your thoughts are welcome .. :undecided
Thanks in advance

WODJ .. :wall:

Polabear
18-10-2004, 09:27 AM
No .. And i don't mean the Missus .. :laugh:

I fitted a set of EBC Turbo Groove Discs and Red Stuff pads about 4-5 weeks ago .. Now i had heard of some feedback on these and good .. but did my own research and decided to go for them.. They are supposed to be very hard pads with very little dust of which i agree with .. But i have an excessive ammount of droning coming from the fronts .. They are ok when they are cold but once they heat up under hard breaking they sound like every other st of discs and pads that i have owned , but thats normally when they are totlly mullererd ... Anyone have this problem on any other types of disc or pad .. I think it's down to the pad myself and i'm gonna try changing to something else to see if it changes .. Your thoughts are welcome .. :undecided
Thanks in advance

WODJ .. :wall:

Droning or Groaning Glen...? if its groaning then IMHO its just down to using hard pads that are not getting warm enough when breaking, I get the same from my Frodos if they are not hot enough..... :sad3:

Kieran
18-10-2004, 06:32 PM
It's not just the noise that the grooves cause? I thought it normal for them to drone when being used in anger?

Wodjno
18-10-2004, 06:43 PM
It's not just the noise that the grooves cause? I thought it normal for them to drone when being used in anger?

Hi Pola and Kieran .. Got used to the groove noise .. But the Droning is when using them hard but i've only ever had this noise when my disc have been paper thin and my pads mullered .. Had grooved before but never this noise .. :sad3:

The Vee
18-10-2004, 07:09 PM
It may even just be a Galant thing. If these cars have one downfall (imo) then it's how much noise they will generate from the four corners thru the suspension etc.

Wodjno
18-10-2004, 07:15 PM
It may even just be a Galant thing. If these cars have one downfall (imo) then it's how much noise they will generate from the four corners thru the suspension etc.

I had no problem with it on o/e disks and pads .. Just since i swapped to the new ones .. I'm sure, i think , ?? it's the pads .. ? :dozey:

Roadrunner
18-10-2004, 07:31 PM
I had this on my previous Subaru Legacy RS-B and reckon it is caused by the pads becoming too hot. The standard cast iron sliding calipers can't dissipate the heat quickly enough and the pads become overheated and emit the noise you mention.

I've had it once on the VR-4 since fitting the Brembos, but that was caused (as you mentioned) by the pads being shot. I'm currently on OEM pads and generally don't have a problem with them.

Brian

Polabear
18-10-2004, 07:32 PM
I had no problem with it on o/e disks and pads .. Just since i swapped to the new ones .. I'm sure, i think , ?? it's the pads .. ? :dozey:

have you changed your tyres recently Glen....?

Wodjno
18-10-2004, 07:33 PM
I had this on my previous Subaru Legacy RS-B and reckon it is caused by the pads becoming too hot. The standard cast iron sliding calipers can't dissipate the heat quickly enough and the pads become overheated and emit the noise you mention.

I've had it once on the VR-4 since fitting the Brembos, but that was caused (as you mentioned) by the pads being shot. I'm currently on OEM pads and generally don't have a problem with them.

Brian

The droning noise starts very quickly .. You only have to brake once from say a ton and they start to drone .. !

Wodjno
18-10-2004, 07:35 PM
have you changed your tyres recently Glen....?
yes i have changed my tyres .. and wheels but it's not coming from them .. it's only when i hit them darn brakes .. :(

Roadrunner
18-10-2004, 08:14 PM
The droning noise starts very quickly .. You only have to brake once from say a ton and they start to drone .. !
Yep, if the pads are low. They don't drone under "normal" use, though, do they?

Wodjno
18-10-2004, 08:29 PM
Yep, if the pads are low. They don't drone under "normal" use, though, do they?
The pads are brand spankers , discs as well .. About 500 miles on them .. They are noisey with normal use , and a couple of hard brakes from 60 will start em off ..

Roadrunner
19-10-2004, 12:39 AM
Aargh! Just noticed you're using EBC pads! :stunned: EBC Reds were the worst I've ever experienced - shagged in 13 days and around 1,000 miles of normal use and 10 laps round Knockhill (13 miles total, only half of which was quick) with the pad material lifting off the metal. Couldn't get them hot enough to bite consistently, even on track. Nightmare on the road. Awful. :( Got my money back.

colVR4
26-01-2007, 11:34 AM
Reviving an old thread because I have the same symptoms that you had Glenn. If I brake hard from a hundred and.....ahem, they start to drone quite loudly.

I am assuming that this is due to heat build up as they stop doing this if I let off the brakes for a while before braking again. What conclusions did you come to in the end Glenn?

Physician
26-01-2007, 12:13 PM
My personal experience has been:

Normal road driving .......... no sounds at all.

Track driving .......... with standard OEM brakes, discs and pads. Groaning after about one lap (Donington) when pads are hot. After 3 laps need to rest them up for 20 minutes as smoking.

......... with standard OEM brakes, discs and DS2500 pads. Groaning after about 5 laps (Donington) when pads are hot. After about 7 laps need to rest them up for 20 minutes. Less smoke than OEM pads.

I personally think it's certainly to do with heat generation but obviously the design of the disc will have an effect on the sound generated. It's a matter of finding the right combination/compromise of pad/disc which suits the majority of your driving. MY set-up suits me generally but I do notice that braking needs more force (on the road) before they have warmed up a bit.

colVR4
26-01-2007, 01:16 PM
What worries me is that I am running BREMBO setup on the front with EBC disks and Mintex fast-road pads. Although there is absolutely no brake fade, I would have thought that there would be less heat build up. The groaning happens after any hard braking from 90+ speeds down to <30.

Wodjno
26-01-2007, 07:29 PM
Cold !! Just heat them up and they go quiet !! And then stick you through the windscreen :speechles

sanct
02-02-2007, 12:21 AM
My experience when running stock VR4 Pads and disks hard braking from 90+ mph produced droning (suprised me too the first time, thought I'd warped a disk) Then a couple of weeks ago I changed to EBC turbo grooves(n dimpled) with Red stuff pads. I still get the same droning when hard braking down from high speeds then for a short while after that I get similar droning from lower speed braking. I assume residual heat issues. So same droning with different pads and disk setups.. would that suggest a caliper design issue? I'm running mine stock.