PDA

View Full Version : Tein springs & Bilstein shocks.

Nick Mann Services
27-04-2011, 02:23 PM
I know there are a few cars running this setup. Ariadne used to and I think horndogs probably still is.

I'd really like some feedback from anyone who has some experience of this - do you find the ride firmer than stock or too firm? Is the car nicely lowered or too low? A customer is thinking about fitting this suspension but doesn't want to compromise too much on the cars daily drive ability. Would you say it is a good choice?

Thanks for any opinions.

The Vee
27-04-2011, 02:26 PM
Just make sure the Bilstein are short enough - mine were not and would easily hit the bump stops.

Nick Mann Services
27-04-2011, 02:28 PM
My understanding is that the B8's are the jobbies for the lowering springs.

The Vee
27-04-2011, 02:39 PM
Sounds about right Nick. I think mine were sent out as standard even though it was a package with Eibach springs.

chris g
27-04-2011, 02:57 PM
My car had a paired set - tein springs - for lowering - and bilstein shocks - to work with lower springs - also used by Kieran

I think the combination was a good compromise - comfort and handling - never felt suspension was too low/hard and handled adequately at the Ring

Shoud have done as Bilsteins were Nurburgring stickered by Bilstein

And quite a colourful modification - green springs and yellow shock absorbers! The Mann was quite impressed...

Car is now in hands of 'horndog' so he may have a view about the springs/shockers combination...

Colin Wiltshire
27-04-2011, 03:03 PM
Ok, sorry to jump in, but any idea of price for this set up? as I may be looking for the same a bit later on.
Thanks Colin

chris g
27-04-2011, 03:07 PM
No idea of current pricing and cannot remember price I paid or source - if I can find details will post them...

EDIT: Best part of £500 probably...

aboo
27-04-2011, 03:37 PM
Here you go Colin as I'm looking at this set up myself. I all ready have the springs.

Bilstein B8's http://www.regals-motorsport.co.uk/advanced_search_result.php?osCsid=mkunndiva23gmok2 f05h5p8r85&keywords=BILSTEIN+B8+SHOCK+ABSORBER+MITSUBISHI+GAL ANT+%2F+LEGNUM&categories_id=&manufacturers_id=&inc_subcat=1

Tein springs http://www.camskill.co.uk/products.php?plid=m22b0s1405p0

Colin Wiltshire
27-04-2011, 03:42 PM
Here you go Colin as I'm looking at this set up myself. I all ready have the springs.

Thats great, thanks. All i have to do now is save up a bit and tell me wife I need them lol

Nick Mann
27-04-2011, 05:27 PM
Shouldn't be much over £400 for the parts. A couple of hours fitting - it's a bit more awkward to fit than coilovers as you need to rob a couple of bits off your old struts, so the old ones need disassembling and the new ones assembling.

It's approx half the price of Tein Super Wagon coilovers, which is the major attraction I guess, but it is also not at all adjustable, so you need to like what you end up with!

horndog
27-04-2011, 05:41 PM
I cant compare to standard as I bought my car with this setup,

I use the car everyday on the roads of Sheffield - renound for being "pothole city" and dont find any out of the ordinary problems, I dont get any complaints from passengers either
My Saab 9-5 has the same tyre size, and I probably go over speedbumps 5mph slower in the VR4,

It dosent bottom out on anywhere, there is no scraping of the exhaust etc - I do have to be carefull of steep changes in incline, (ie pulling into a private driveway or multi storey carparks) but other than that no problems,

ChrisG has more knowledge of the performance handling (as above) but I am more than happy with it,

If anyone wants a passenger ride then come round and we can go for a spin

VR457
27-04-2011, 11:59 PM
Shouldn't be much over £400 for the parts. A couple of hours fitting - it's a bit more awkward to fit than coilovers as you need to rob a couple of bits off your old struts, so the old ones need disassembling and the new ones assembling.

It's approx half the price of Tein Super Wagon coilovers, which is the major attraction I guess, but it is also not at all adjustable, so you need to like what you end up with!

I think the Biliies are priced per shock which makes it about £650 all in.

Btw, are there any springs which do not lower 30mm, maybe 20mm?

gaz
28-04-2011, 08:51 AM
I have got bilstien b8 with tein springs on mine the rides not much stiffer than stock so its still very comfortable.As for the ride hight just have a look in my garage to give you some idea, the front bumper can rub slightly coming down steep multi storey car park ramps etc but all in all in very happy with mine.

Nick Mann
23-05-2011, 09:02 PM
Jamil is spot on, the billies are priced individually. That makes it sound quite expensive, TBH, as adjustable coil overs are not that much more money.

Mark 4
23-05-2011, 09:20 PM
EDFC ? Nuff said.

MYKEY
05-06-2011, 04:01 PM
On the subject of Tein springs, is it ok to fit them to a saloon, whilst keeping standard shocks,
the Tein web site seems to say that they should be, but just wanted so see if anybody has this set up and what they thought of it ?

HJM
05-06-2011, 04:32 PM
Our old silver Leggie had billies with lowering springs - great combination.

Then replaced them after leaking rear shock to Tein coilovers - they were rubbish !

Stick with billies IMHO.

Humpty's Revenge
05-06-2011, 04:38 PM
I use Tein super wagon coilovers on my vr4 & cant fault them.

MYKEY
05-06-2011, 07:45 PM
Thanks for the replies guys, i was intending to go with coilovers but i think i should get some more mundane stuff done first, brake pads, fluids,spark plus ect... so i thought that getting the Tein springs first and then at a later date fitting Bilstien b8's would be a good compromise, just wondered if the Tein's would be ok to fit on a saloon as they are listed for the Legnum and also are they good with the standard shocks ?

Kenan
30-12-2012, 11:40 AM
Somebody know if the Tein Lowering Springs are the same for Galant VR4 and Legnum VR4 or are they different ?

CANDEE
30-12-2012, 11:54 AM
They are the same Kenan, however they are made for the galant so they will sit differently in the Legnum

Colin Wiltshire
30-12-2012, 04:58 PM
I have tein springs all round with the b8's shocks on the rear. I still think they feel a little too soft for my liking. They do feel stiffer than what I had before, but the shocks were dead, so no real comparison. this is on a galant vr4.