PDA

View Full Version : Pretty Gutted...

low_vr4
29-04-2011, 07:42 AM
Took the vr4 in to get a wof today for the first time since i have had it. I haven't even done 1000km in it. This is what it failed for:

L/H tie rod end worn
R/F park light out
L/H headlight out
Exhaust leaks
rear brake hoses chaffing on handbreak cable
L/H front tyre down to cords
cut in outer edge of L/H rear tyre
R/F lower balljoint worn

Cant afford to get this repaired and clutch so am likely to sell for 4k to a mate, really gutted and enjoyed the 600 odd kms i did in it :angry: :angry: :angry:

VR4WGN
29-04-2011, 07:54 AM
thats called wear and tear!!! you purchased it from Auckland correct? did you not drive it down? theres 600 alone,what about caning it too?? theres wear an tear?,botom arms,.wel lthats normal..it seems USUAL wear and tear to me..

Adam.Findlay
29-04-2011, 09:38 AM
L/H tie rod end worn tie rod ends cost about 40 for the pair and can be changed within 20mins to half an hour
R/F park light out - 10 dollar bulb
L/H headlight out - 30-40 dollar bulb
Exhaust leaks - get the welder out 10 mins to remove exhaust, 10 mins to weld up and 10 mins to re-install job done
rear brake hoses chaffing on handbreak cable - dont know how this would happen unless someone has taken the hub apart and not put it together right 20 min task at most
L/H front tyre down to cords -Tyres are regular mantinance and to be expected
cut in outer edge of L/H rear tyre - as above
R/F lower balljoint worn -lower arms have been covered a hundred times on this site and can be picked up for between 2-300 i think from memory i did mine not long ago its a simple task
all up half a day 400 dollars, borowing a welder and 2 tyres and your fixed.

OnBoost!
29-04-2011, 09:52 AM
but that still leaves him with having to fix the clutch,which isn't cheap.

Adam.Findlay
29-04-2011, 09:55 AM
yeah but hes known for a while that the clutch needed doing. and im sure some wellington members will help out with the labour so all he will need is oil a clutch and beers

Wobble
29-04-2011, 09:56 AM
seems a bit of a over the top decision for minor and common servicable faults. tyres , bulbs and exhaust will go on any car.

elnevio
29-04-2011, 10:04 AM
It does seem a little unfortunate that so many little things need sorting at once. Perhaps you would be better off mothballing it for a couple of months, save a few dollars, and sort everything out to put it back on the road.

I do have to pick you up on one thing though - front tyre down to the cords, that's just frankly negligent! :vogel:

That aside, as said, I hope you can sort things out! /yes :thumbsup:

Gly
29-04-2011, 11:43 AM
harsh honest opinion...sell it,

if you cant cant afford to fix, small issues/normal ware tare items,
then you really should get rid of it now, (while it still has some value)

buy your self a reliable corolla, on 14" steel wheels,

and in a few years time? maybe look into getting a performance car again, if your wallet truly allows

all the things you seem to be well whining about,
are things that are either just normal (bulbs),
or known issues (lower arms)

all cars have them...

tyres just dont ware out to the cords, either bad alignment, and you should have noticed this if its rooted a tyre,
or you didnt check the car over properly when you bought it,
all cars need tyres eventually

the rear lines were custom made items, so are probably to long,
(bad luck, but should be fairly obvisous if it had been looked over)

and the clutch you've known about for sometime,
and still havent got the $$ together yet to even buy parts?

sell it, (your a student still?) by the sounds of things... you cant even afford to put gas in it.
so whats the point??

Louis
29-04-2011, 11:44 AM
I also think a bit of an over reaction!!.
Many people would love to get a fail like that lol! :)
2 feckin light bulbs!
1 rod end £10 uk
Blowing exhaust, if bad there are many members who have changed their exhausts and quite a few standard exhausts floating about for very cheap $
Bottom arm if you can't get a second hand one from a member then $34 + £60 shipping from US:
http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/1-Front-Lower-RH-Control-Arm-Suspension-Part-K90265-_W0QQcmdZViewItemQQfitsZModelQ3aGalantQQhashZitem4 3a534d3a6QQitemZ290534511526QQptZMotorsQ5fCarQ5fTr uckQ5fPartsQ5fAccessories#ht_1241wt_1167
As for the tyre!!!!, as mentioned you should be checking your tyres, if you going to drive a VR4 fast and use it round corners, you should be checking your tyres!!!!!.
You can cable tie the flexis out of the way!

If you can't afford a tyre or a used tyre, you can't afford a car!, can you?.
I don't want to come across as mean lol, but ffs!. I am sure there are mambers here who will help you out with offers when they see this.
You are probably just feeling down as the clutch needs doing and then you get a wof fail!.
That fail is def not that bad.
Also as mentioned if you can get along to the next meet/workshop style day, or ask for some help, others will show up with tools and experience, all you need to get is the clutch!.
Hang in there, you may as well keep it, (but keep an eye on the tyres!)

Also, left hand tie rod wear = left hand front tyre wear. if you checked and noticed the play in the rod end you could have saved the tyre!

low_vr4
29-04-2011, 11:50 AM
Just deciding what to do at the moment. Battery died this morning also so had to get a new battery for it. Been quoted 650 for the work and 450 for the tyres. so thats $1100 and clutch $1000 with installation. Just too much hassle with study etc. Just not my time to own a vr4 i guess

scott.mohekey
29-04-2011, 12:10 PM
$650 for what work?

low_vr4
29-04-2011, 12:12 PM
$650 for what work?

all the stuff in my original post

scott.mohekey
29-04-2011, 12:15 PM
You could do it yourself for FAR less than that.

wintertidenz
29-04-2011, 12:23 PM
Tyres you can shop around for.

Tie rods - you can do yourself but it is a pain in the ass, easier to befriend a mechanic and get it done for a few beers plus you buy the part.
Lower arm you can get off Trademe for $120ish (non-genuine though, so save up and get the genuine part) - however in saying that, I've been running non-genuine lower arms for about 30,000kms now and there is still no play in them.

But - if you are a student, a VR4 really isn't the most practical car in terms of maintenance or fuel. Sell it, get something decent on fuel, and then get one again once you have a decent paying job.

low_vr4
29-04-2011, 12:26 PM
Dont really have the time or tools to do it myself

low_vr4
29-04-2011, 12:30 PM
Tyres you can shop around for.

Tie rods - you can do yourself but it is a pain in the ass, easier to befriend a mechanic and get it done for a few beers plus you buy the part.
Lower arm you can get off Trademe for $120ish (non-genuine though, so save up and get the genuine part) - however in saying that, I've been running non-genuine lower arms for about 30,000kms now and there is still no play in them.

But - if you are a student, a VR4 really isn't the most practical car in terms of maintenance or fuel. Sell it, get something decent on fuel, and then get one again once you have a decent paying job.

Yea exactly, itll be sold if the guy gets his loan. As a few members have said can pick up a vr4 for around 6-7k, saying that though probably wont get another vr4. Probably going to go down the nissan road, seem like far stronger cars than most mitsi's

Subaru ETA
29-04-2011, 12:38 PM
Lol why would you want a Nissan? I wouldn't say they build far better cars then mitsi!

low_vr4
29-04-2011, 12:45 PM
harsh honest opinion...sell it,

if you cant cant afford to fix, small issues/normal ware tare items,
then you really should get rid of it now, (while it still has some value)

buy your self a reliable corolla, on 14" steel wheels,

and in a few years time? maybe look into getting a performance car again, if your wallet truly allows

all the things you seem to be well whining about,
are things that are either just normal (bulbs),
or known issues (lower arms)

all cars have them...

tyres just dont ware out to the cords, either bad alignment, and you should have noticed this if its rooted a tyre,
or you didnt check the car over properly when you bought it,
all cars need tyres eventually

the rear lines were custom made items, so are probably to long,
(bad luck, but should be fairly obvisous if it had been looked over)

and the clutch you've known about for sometime,
and still havent got the $$ together yet to even buy parts?

sell it, (your a student still?) by the sounds of things... you cant even afford to put gas in it.
so whats the point??

Im not whining about anything, just didnt expect a list like that first up. I know cars will need general wear and tear items im not complaining about that. Ive got a reliable car, its a lancer and fails a wof probably once every 2 years. As apposed to a vr4..well its obviously another story. Cant be bothered with it really and dont worry itll be sold this weekend

low_vr4
29-04-2011, 12:48 PM
Lol why would you want a Nissan? I wouldn't say they build far better cars then mitsi!

Who said they build far better cars? I have 3 mates will nissans.skyline, laurel and pulsar Gti-r. They give them absolute hell, drifts, skids, launches etc and they pass their wofs easily, just the odd bulb or tyre

Oggie
29-04-2011, 01:15 PM
no matter how much i have to pay to keep my car on the road i will sell a left nut if i have to.

bud you could just get one job done at a time.
might take a while but you will be happier.

gonna get a stagea?
they look liek pretty mint waging. just they happen to be nissans. IF i had to get one iw ould wanna throw in a vk56de. just to be different.

Subaru ETA
29-04-2011, 01:53 PM
I drove my vr4 pretty damn hard and it didn't fail 1 wof in the time I had it. I didn't even have to do a ball joint! I sold it with over 180k on it.

On the other hand I have a BMW with 63k on it and a primera with 143k on it and they fail every other wof! Last list on the BMW had tyres, exhaust leak and suspension bushes. It's just the luck of the draw and it just happens all your wear and tear items came along in one go.

low_vr4
30-04-2011, 01:51 AM
no matter how much i have to pay to keep my car on the road i will sell a left nut if i have to.

bud you could just get one job done at a time.
might take a while but you will be happier.

gonna get a stagea?
they look liek pretty mint waging. just they happen to be nissans. IF i had to get one iw ould wanna throw in a vk56de. just to be different.

Yea guess i could do that

Hell no, stageas are ugly especially from the front. Wont get a wagon again.

Oggie
30-04-2011, 06:31 AM
Yea guess i could do that

Hell no, stageas are ugly especially from the front. Wont get a wagon again.

fronts are indeed FUGLY thats why you get a r33/34 conversion done. but i do love my wagons. tbh they are a skyline wagon.. they share the same floor plan and so much is interchangeable.

Ryan
30-04-2011, 12:47 PM
Personally I think that it is the square anachronistic rear the lets the Stageas down...

Humpty's Revenge
30-04-2011, 12:54 PM
When they designed the front of a normal stagea they must of just sat there for a few years thinking what incredibly ugly front end can we stitch on this one then............:idea2:

That will do it then...........:vogel::sick2: sorry but the back end is great but it kinda loss's it appeal from the front doors forwards for me

Oggie
30-04-2011, 04:24 PM
When they designed the front of a normal stagea they must of just sat there for a few years thinking what incredibly ugly front end can we stitch on this one then............:idea2:

That will do it then...........:vogel::sick2: sorry but the back end is great but it kinda loss's it appeal from the front doors forwards for me

this is what a stagea should more or less look like...

http://http://images.trademe.co.nz/photoserver/70/156064670_full.jpg

Humpty's Revenge
30-04-2011, 04:25 PM
this is what a stagea should more or less look like...

http://http://images.trademe.co.nz/photoserver/70/156064670_full.jpg

Terry your link is not working dude!

Oggie
30-04-2011, 05:29 PM
Terry your link is not working dude!

grrrrrrrrrr

http://images.trademe.co.nz/photoserver/85/155788185_full.jpg

hope it works now.

Humpty's Revenge
30-04-2011, 07:13 PM
grrrrrrrrrr

hope it works now.

Sure is dude & that's a stagea I would buy.

serioustir
04-05-2011, 11:37 AM
Took the vr4 in to get a wof today for the first time since i have had it. I haven't even done 1000km in it. This is what it failed for:

L/H tie rod end worn
R/F park light out
L/H headlight out
Exhaust leaks
rear brake hoses chaffing on handbreak cable
L/H front tyre down to cords
cut in outer edge of L/H rear tyre
R/F lower balljoint worn

Cant afford to get this repaired and clutch so am likely to sell for 4k to a mate, really gutted and enjoyed the 600 odd kms i did in it :angry: :angry: :angry:

bummer man! I hope that same crap doesn't happen with the one i just got!

low_vr4
04-05-2011, 01:20 PM
All fixed today actually, new tyres tomorrow and a full tank of 98 /bananaroc /bananaroc

Oggie
04-05-2011, 02:12 PM
All fixed today actually, new tyres tomorrow and a full tank of 98 /bananaroc /bananaroc

including gearbox?

crazyken76
04-05-2011, 03:44 PM
grrrrrrrrrr

hope it works now.

hmm very nice i would defo have that instead of my car

karlous54
04-05-2011, 08:08 PM

Good work dude! You will be happy once your out and about driving around in it!

low_vr4
04-05-2011, 09:37 PM
including gearbox?

gearbox is fine, clutch is slipping which is getting ordered next week

serioustir
05-05-2011, 01:26 PM

Congrats man!

Kitten
09-05-2011, 03:05 AM
Those aren't that bad! I was a student with a VR4. It barely got driven. Now I'm working and it's still barely getting driven. But 240k kms+ and still going strong, just little bits and pieces like that are part of normal wear and tear and comes with a VR4 (ball joints and tyres and that's been about it). Think I had to do trailing arms for the last WOF but then again it's been towing a horse float about, just brought the parts and get partner to fit them.

My partner's trying to get me to sell it. I told him I'd only sell it if I got a TT Supra and the price of those that ain't happening anytime soon lol

At least if you get it done you know it's done.

Rather than maybe buying another car and having a whole set of fresh, maybe even worse issueS?

Better the devil you know than the devil you don't and all that.

low_vr4
09-05-2011, 04:09 AM
Yea its all sorted now, wof, reg and full tank. Might take it for a drive soon actually lol

thfelipeth
13-05-2011, 11:08 AM
Those aren't that bad! I was a student with a VR4. It barely got driven. Now I'm working and it's still barely getting driven. But 240k kms+ and still going strong, just little bits and pieces like that are part of normal wear and tear and comes with a VR4 (ball joints and tyres and that's been about it). Think I had to do trailing arms for the last WOF but then again it's been towing a horse float about, just brought the parts and get partner to fit them.

My partner's trying to get me to sell it. I told him I'd only sell it if I got a TT Supra and the price of those that ain't happening anytime soon lol

At least if you get it done you know it's done.

Rather than maybe buying another car and having a whole set of fresh, maybe even worse issueS?

Better the devil you know than the devil you don't and all that. wow that sounds like a real woman to me!! buy a supra if you have to sell.

Kitten
14-05-2011, 03:02 AM
wow that sounds like a real woman to me!! buy a supra if you have to sell.

I'd sell right away and buy a Supra if I could afford it, problem is I wouldn't be able to lol it's my dream car.

Oggie
17-05-2011, 05:52 AM
I'd sell right away and buy a Supra if I could afford it, problem is I wouldn't be able to lol it's my dream car.

speaking of dream cars... FT86 http://www.ft86club.com/forums/showthread.php?t=8

god damn!!