PDA

View Full Version : Manual GEARBOX FAULT ?????

legs
29-04-2011, 10:08 AM
Hello Mates !

I know that I´m not the busiest member here.... may be I can find help or some suggestions for my problem.

I have a VR4 MANUAL and there is a strange problem with the Gearbox!

When I start the car I cant put a gear in !

When I switch of th eignition, put a gear in and start the car after it, I can change and drive fine, switching all the gears accept the reverse. for that I have to switch ignition off, put the reverse gear in and start the car again, than it is fine, but can´t put the forward gears in.
so just have to switch it off, put the first geasr in and start again, than can drive forward normally....

is there an ECU for the MANUAL GEARBOX ???????? The clutch was fitted 3000 miles ago and is working absolutly fine ( I think so....)

has anybody an idea of this problem ????

P.s. the engine is running with approx. 460 bhp, but I think it´s not the cause of the problem..

cheers

Ben

Wobble
29-04-2011, 10:15 AM
P.s. the engine is running with approx. 460 bhp, but I think it´s not the cause of the problem..

cheers

Ben
/JawDroppi how much, what mods have you got out of intrest. sorry for the little highjack

legs
29-04-2011, 10:35 AM
Hi Mate !

it has an uprated fuel pump, hybrid turbos and the ECU has a complete remapp with openecu.org programm. the seller before has done it (I don´t know the settings, we try to figure out what he has done, but is working perfect !) and it is absolutley brutal accelarating.... sometimes it makes me a little bit scared :-)

BEG4ME
29-04-2011, 10:50 AM
If you think clutch is fine, then possibly an air-lock in the clutch hydraulic system. Have you tried bleeding the hyd. system? Mine also has this sort of problem when cold and i just pump the clutch a few times, hold clutch in and change between 3rd and 4th a couples of times, then i'm away. There could possibly be a problem with your 1st gear synch ring but as far as i'm aware there's no synch ring on reverse. Hope this helps.

Louis
29-04-2011, 10:50 AM
What country did you buy it from?. If the car is known to the club then maybe what has been done to it in the past will help find the fault.
Initially I would say it is a clutch related problem. If you can't get the car into gear when the engine is running, but can get it in gear when not running, then that sounds like clutch. Sounds like the clutch is not disengaging fully.
Did you fit the clutch?.
Do you know what type and make of clutch it is.
Is it an evo clutch or a VR4 clutch?
If evo you would require an evo flywheel and spacer!.
If normal VR4 clutch, then you may have worn it out with the power you are putting through it!
No ecu for manual.
It could also be the gear selector cables and mechanism, possibly not put back together tightly or correctly when clutch was done!.
Doesn't sound too major, it would be good to see some photos of your car.
There are not too many running that kind of horsepower. also not sure what you mean by hybrid turbos, are the TD04 or TD05, or KKR???
Hopefully it is just the cabke mechanism for the gear selector, let us know how you get on, good luck. :)

Nick Mann
29-04-2011, 11:17 AM
It sounds like a clutch problem to me too. If you pump the clutch pedal a bit dies that help?

MikeM
29-04-2011, 11:31 AM
i used to work as a transmission mechanic ,and buy what you describe i would defo look at all clutch related items first ,the reason you can not select 1st with engine runing the baulk ring that slows the gear down
can not cope

crazydriver81
29-04-2011, 11:33 AM
clutch related, definitely.

1st check - is the air completely evacuated / enough fluid in the hydralic mechanism?
2nd check - clutch master / slave cylinder working correctly?
2nd check - does the clutch disengage completely?

And then - first post "I have a problem", not even an introduction /grr not very polite mate!

foxdie
29-04-2011, 12:35 PM
not even an introduction /grr not very polite mate!

He seemed pretty polite to me, quite a lot of people sign up to any car forum just to ask a question, why is that such a problem?

The only thing I ever have a problem with is people who sign up just to sell a car, that's taking advantage of good hospitality.

chris g
29-04-2011, 08:36 PM
A manual gearbox fault - brad c may be along shortly to help with it...

bradc
30-04-2011, 12:16 AM
I'm confused, what happens when you try and put it into reverse after driving forwards?

Kenneth
01-05-2011, 03:36 AM
double check the selector cable attachment points on the gearbox. I had a similar issue as the rubber vibration isolator was just about to give way.

mike74
02-05-2011, 12:52 PM
If the clutch bite is fairly near the floor then try adjusting the clutch pedal a bit (threaded rod + locknut above the pedal). We had the same symptoms when we first got our VR4 & adjusting the pedal & replacing the gearbox oil with good stuff sorted it :)

Nick Mann
02-05-2011, 10:06 PM
Gearbox oil is an interesting point. It must be GL-4 and ABSOLUTLEY NOT GL-5!!

Louis
02-05-2011, 10:13 PM
Gearbox oil is an interesting point. It must be GL-4 and ABSOLUTLEY NOT GL-5!!

Why is that?.

(legs has been quiet !! :))

elnevio
02-05-2011, 10:49 PM
I believe it has something to do with gear oils that exhibit GL-5 properties actually providing too LITTLE friction, and causing problems with smooth gear engagement, etc.

Louis
02-05-2011, 10:57 PM
Just been off reading about it :)

ianturbo
05-05-2011, 02:00 AM
mine was like this it was the box thing before the slave cylinder !!
ian
P.S mine has 900 bhp !!!lol

Nick Mann
05-05-2011, 09:05 AM
I believe it has something to do with gear oils that exhibit GL-5 properties actually providing too LITTLE friction, and causing problems with smooth gear engagement, etc.

/yes

BEG4ME
05-05-2011, 10:04 AM
mine was like this it was the box thing before the slave cylinder !!
ian
P.S mine has 900 bhp !!!lol

What is that box thing?

Wodjno
05-05-2011, 10:10 AM
What is that box thing?

That would be the Clutch Damper Unit.. I took this out on Mrs Wodj's V6 as it had a fault.. I just bypassed it with copper pipe.. Cost £10 made up at local garage..

ianturbo
05-05-2011, 11:35 AM
What is that box thing?
the junction box before the slave cylinder ,i put some pics on here a few weeks ago about it ,
ian
but if its the slave cylinder i got a second hand one !!