PDA

View Full Version : Simple Solutions

nick-f1
18-10-2004, 08:42 PM
Lifted this from a US forum:- makes you think a bit
When NASA first started sending up astronauts, they quickly discovered that ball-point pens would not work in zero gravity.

To combat this problem, NASA scientists spent a decade and $12 billion :scared1: developing a pen that writes in zero gravity, upside-down, on almost any surface - including glass at temperatures ranging from below freezing to over 300 Celsius.

The Russians used a pencil.

Your U.S. taxes are due again in seven months -- enjoy paying them :rolleyes5
Funny that........ reminds me of the old one about the constipated mathematician..............he worked it out with a pencil!!!! :laugh: :$

wirdy
18-10-2004, 09:00 PM
If you're a gadget man you'll have one...they're called Fisher Space Pens. They do write on anything.

/admits he has one. :rolleyes: but it was a gift from British-waste-a-space...honest!!

SGHOM
18-10-2004, 11:32 PM
fisher price did you say Nige ?? :lipsrseal :$ :$
I bet Rebbekah's got one also ?? :-b

wirdy
19-10-2004, 12:53 PM
This is REALLY sad but......as stated on the leaflet with the pen....

"Paul Fisher and his associates invented the pressurized Space Pen in 1965 at NO COST to NASA or our Government. NASA tested the Fisher Space pens and selected them for use on all manned Space Flights (Comment - why would you use them on unmanned flights anyway?? :-D )

It is used on all manned spaceflights - American and Russian.
The gas pressure (35psi) forces the ink against the ball, allowing the ball to write a smooth, reliable line - even upside down and underwater.
Fisher Space pens write:
a. in freezing cold of -34c
b. In boiling hot of +143c
c. In the gravity-free vacuum of space.
d. Underwater and over most grease.
e. Even upside down.
Writes a smooth line for over 5 miles, enough to last the average person years. It has a shelf life of over 100 years (Comment - how do they know?? :-D )

Can you tell I'm having a quiet day at work?? :D :D

adam_shaw
19-10-2004, 02:18 PM
It has a shelf life of over 100 years (Comment - how do they know?? :-D )

Oh oh. Me. I know!

We used to do this for the PCB company I worked at, it's called accelerated aging.

You put the sample in a test vessel, that is alternately heated to +150C and purged with Nitrogen and Steam.

According to the boffins at BSI and UL doing this for 24hours (if memory serves) simulates 75 years of storage.

You then remove it and see if it still works.

Simple really :laugh: