PDA

View Full Version : Cops can no longer hide to catch speeders

Kyoshu
18-10-2004, 11:57 PM
Off the NZ Herald site:

11.00am
Police officers can no longer hide in bushes or camouflage themselves in order to catch speeding drivers.

Police bosses have issued a tough new speed enforcement guide banning the practices. It brings together in one document all rules and guidelines for targeting speedsters.

Previously there were no rules on covert speed operations.

The move follows the adoption of new laws on the deployment of mobile speed cameras, an increase in the number of speeding fines issued and a spate of negative publicity on the lengths police were going to catch speedsters, including photographs of officers tucked behind trees or bushes with hand-held radars.

National road safety manager Superintendent Steve Fitzgerald said bad publicity was not the sole reason for the new guidelines, but had been a consideration.

"I don't think you can ignore that, can you. It does cause a flurry from time to time."

A key point in the new guidelines is that police vehicles or officers' uniforms may not be hidden.

"All speed-measuring devices are to be employed in an overt manner. No form of hidden or camouflaged deployment is to be used," it states. The only exception is unmarked police vehicles used for speed enforcement.

It was reported in April that a fleet of 14 unmarked police cars targeting dangerous drivers was being rotated around the country.

The guidelines also spell out how discretion should be applied. Other than in exceptional circumstances, anyone driving 11km/h over the limit, or 6km/h in heavy vehicles, will be ticketed.

Drivers not exceeding these limits should not be ticketed unless their speed poses a risk to public safety.

Police figures show 487,353 fixed and mobile speed camera tickets were issued in the year to June 30, 466,374 the year before and 422,786 in 2002.

Annual revenue from speed camera fines jumped from $3,239,070 in March 2002 to $3,630,120 last year and $4,207,440 this year.

National MP Tony Ryall said the move was a victory for motorists.

"We have been calling for an end to this practice for more than a year," he said in a statement.

"As we have consistently said, having a visible police presence on the roads will have a much greater impact on road safety than having officers crawling around hiding under bushes."

- NZPA

KiwiTT
19-10-2004, 12:25 AM
Was think about posting this as well.

Also, there is a 11km/h / margin, as opposed to the 5km/h they were considering.

i3ooyah
19-10-2004, 04:15 AM
"As we have consistently said, having a visible police presence on the roads will have a much greater impact on road safety than having officers crawling around hiding under bushes."

this is just common sense and everybodys been saying it for ages.

well its good news

rikward
19-10-2004, 11:11 AM
The police in the UK are also supposed to be visible, but in practice it is not so clear cut. Just like Gatso's. It is so easy to pass police or Gatso's without realising, because they were disguised as something else: perhaps not a bush, but maybe another car, a bridge etc.

Polabear
22-10-2004, 11:32 AM
The police in the UK are also supposed to be visible, but in practice it is not so clear cut. Just like Gatso's. It is so easy to pass police or Gatso's without realising, because they were disguised as something else: perhaps not a bush, but maybe another car, a bridge etc.

You mean like from the back of a van....... :arse: :uhoh: :Eek1: :gun1: :gun2: :gun3: sneeky BA$£ARDS

nick-f1
22-10-2004, 12:34 PM
You mean like from the back of a van....... :arse: :uhoh: :Eek1: :gun1: :gun2: :gun3: sneeky BA$£ARDS
Yeah sneaky baskets almost got me on the A30 near Bodmin last saturday!! :screwu: When we came home sunday they were in the same spot again along with 2 ambulances and 4 plod cars because some poor sod had panicked and gone off the road!!!!!!
They were in a dip right where two lanes merge into one! Stupid barstewards :furious3: I bet that doesnt make any statistic list...... accidents caused by speed traps in dangerous places!

rikward
22-10-2004, 01:18 PM
I have noticed that the mobile units have a habit of locating themselves in areas were the speed limit changes.

Where I live there are four prime spots in a space of 5 miles were the speed limit changes from 30 to 60. The mobile units are guarenteed to be there waiting for people. The fuzz knows that innocent drivers will either break late when going from the 60 zone to the 30; or speeding up early going into the 60 from the 30.

I have been caught doing this very act. Accelerating from a 30 into a 60 and was zapped at 42mph. Best of all though I was driving a 1.0 Nissan Micra. :laugh: :laugh: :laugh:

Legnum Boy
22-10-2004, 02:11 PM
I was driving a 1.0 Nissan Micra. :laugh: :laugh: :laugh:

... and you freely admit this information??? :$ :$ :uhoh:

jtfleming
22-10-2004, 08:17 PM
There was an article in the paper not long ago saying you are 10 times more likely to get a speeding ticket in NZ than in the UK.......10 times!!!!

Polabear
22-10-2004, 08:53 PM
There was an article in the paper not long ago saying you are 10 times more likely to get a speeding ticket in NZ than in the UK.......10 times!!!!

Guess I must have moved to NZ for the day....... :sad3:

Jimbo
22-10-2004, 09:48 PM
Guess I must have moved to NZ for the day....... :sad3:

Uh-oh :( Sounds ominous, mate?

Polabear
23-10-2004, 09:51 AM
Uh-oh :( Sounds ominous, mate?

:lipsrseal