PDA

View Full Version : Thinking about buying a VR4 needs some opinons, please help!

serioustir
03-05-2011, 12:19 PM
I am thinking about buying this Vr4 I took for a drive today. Any opinions as to what to do in the situation would be great, as I have already gotten burned buying used cars before. Cheers to anyone who posts an opinion :D

It belonged to this old guy (60ish) who lived outside of Auckland, and he had owned it since he had imported it. It had 240,000kms which seems like a lot. he said he got it when it had about 50,000kms. He said it had been regularly serviced every (10,000ks), and it sure drove like it had been well taken care of, no clicking, funny noises, vibrations, it shifted great, and ran quite well. It didnt seem like the car had been hooned much at all, and it seemed like he had really taken care of it. On the engine it said the cam belt was done at 110,000.

I really liked the car, and I think I can buy it for around $2,000 NZ. I don't need it for ages as I will be heading back to the states in a year, or even sooner. Basically, I am just not sure if that is too many km's for a Legnum VR4, and if that is a good price.

Cheers for your thoughts,

hopefully ill post more if I get one!

Oggie
03-05-2011, 02:09 PM
Oh man what ever you do.. please take one of these cars back the the US of A!!!
and good luck with your vr4 when you get one.

also try this link and info..
http://www.clubvr4.com/forum/showthread.php?54852-Best-place-for-VR4-pre-purchase-inspection&highlight=buying+a+vr4

elnevio
03-05-2011, 06:35 PM
/Welcome

That sounds like a proper bargain! :deal2:

If the engine has been maintained well (which it sounds like), it can even be an abused engine with that mileage on it. As it is, it sounds like an unabused engine. If it ain't smoky or rattly, then I'd look at buying it.

PS: If you WERE thinking about importing it to the States, then it would be one of two things:

- 1. The ONLY Legnum VR-4 on the roads in the USA; and
- 2. Virtually impossible to import!!

Eric (that's his username on here too!) tried to import his VR-4, and it seemed that it was a near impossibility. There is a guy on here with a Galant VR-4 in the States, but no info has ever been shared about how he managed it, sadly. Plus, as it was quite a few years ago (he still has it though), it is highly likely that the importing criteria (notably emissions) pretty much bar any future VR-4 imports.

Shame really, as anybody who could regularly import VR-4s to the States would make a MINT. I heard rumours of prices IRO of US$20,000.

Gly
03-05-2011, 08:27 PM
the kms are quite high, and it hasnt had its last required cambelt jo by the sounds of things..

the cambelt should be done every 100000km, and costs between 800-1400$ for a proper full job (belts, tensioners, water pump etc)

if your not looking to keep it, it will be hard to resell quickly unless your pretty much giving it away,

Ryan
03-05-2011, 08:32 PM
Agree with Carsten on the cambelt - sounds quite long overdue. Nev is also correct in saying that the VR-4 would never pass emissions regulations to comply with US legislation. That and that it would cost an arm and a leg just to ship.

serioustir
03-05-2011, 11:16 PM
Hey guys, thanks for your guys opinions. I am suppose to go back and look at it again today. I am not trying to import a VR4 as it would cost more to send it to the states than I have to buy one!! I just saw them cruising around and they have caught my eye, and now I want to cruise New Zealand in! I also am working on the north shore right now so I need some wheels. I appreciate your guys comments about the cambelt also. I don't know if I would pay to have it done again or not. 800-1400 is a lot to spend on a car that is only 2ks, and I am just looking to put about 10,000-20,000 kms on it before I head back to the states. My thoughts are that I would just buy it, drive it, not do the cambelt (hopefully it doesnt break) then try to flog it off to someone else for a deal ~1500$ before I head home. I figure at the price for the vehicle I could not loose to much money.

Basically I just want a VR4 cus they are awesome!
Thanks again for your guys input :)

low_vr4
03-05-2011, 11:41 PM
Id recommend a pre purchase inspection at your local mitsuishi dealer but if you really want it and dont want to do that then just buy it. The cars are alot of fun to drive

Ryan
04-05-2011, 12:14 AM
Hey guys, thanks for your guys opinions. I am suppose to go back and look at it again today. I am not trying to import a VR4 as it would cost more to send it to the states than I have to buy one!! I just saw them cruising around and they have caught my eye, and now I want to cruise New Zealand in! I also am working on the north shore right now so I need some wheels. I appreciate your guys comments about the cambelt also. I don't know if I would pay to have it done again or not. 800-1400 is a lot to spend on a car that is only 2ks, and I am just looking to put about 10,000-20,000 kms on it before I head back to the states. My thoughts are that I would just buy it, drive it, not do the cambelt (hopefully it doesnt break) then try to flog it off to someone else for a deal ~1500$ before I head home. I figure at the price for the vehicle I could not loose to much money.

Basically I just want a VR4 cus they are awesome!
Thanks again for your guys input :)

Well think of it this way, if the cambelt breaks you would have just wasted $2000 because your engine will be f**ked because the tops of the pistons would smash into the open valves in a most apalling fashion. It would then be cheaper to buy a new engine rather than have it repaired.

Your call.

serioustir
04-05-2011, 01:32 AM
Well think of it this way, if the cambelt breaks you would have just wasted $2000 because your engine will be f**ked because the tops of the pistons would smash into the open valves in a most apalling fashion. It would then be cheaper to buy a new engine rather than have it repaired.

Your call.

Would you spend the money on a Legnum with that high of kms?

Gly
04-05-2011, 01:38 AM
what ryan said, these are an interference motor, and you will root it if the belt snaps, in which case a motor will set you back 600-1500$(private or wreckers) + fitting,
mitsi just dont make up service intervals for the fun of it,

my cambelt in my 4g63 snapped, cost me 2000$ to have the motor rebuilt! 6-7 years ago!

if you want car that just goes without issue, buy a toyota corolla

serioustir
04-05-2011, 01:48 AM
haha, good point... corolla's are good, and reliable cars. Just as expensive for one with just as many Kms, and not nearly as cool as a VR4, but that is a great point... I really do like this car, going to go talk to the cars mechanic about its cambelt. I appreciate your guys help with this situation.

Gly
04-05-2011, 04:09 AM
also, if its auto, i assume it is?
the trans needs to be service (full flush) fairly regularly, a new one/rebuild will cost as much as the car,
they are very temperamental, and only a Mitsubishi sp3 (dx3 is not compatable) spec'd oil should be used, (a full flush is approx 12 Liters)

the reason its cheap is its a performance car, and theres no demand left for a gas guzzler...
and they need to be looked after. and 99% of the time its not cheap when it breaks

Ryan
04-05-2011, 07:26 AM
also, if its auto, i assume it is?
the trans needs to be service (full flush) fairly regularly, a new one/rebuild will cost as much as the car.

Indeed, my first VR-4's transmission cost $3574 to rebuild back in 2008.

serioustir
04-05-2011, 07:37 AM
Hey guys,
I got the VR4 today. It is running great. I went in and had a chat with the mechanic of the car for the last 8 years, and he said it was all good, and that he would take it to cape reinga tomorrow if it was his. Went up and had a chat to the old guy who ownd the car, and we worked out a good deal. cept for he made me promise I won't boost it everywhere haha..... Thinking about getting the cambelt done now. I think I might just get the cambelt fixed, is it possible to just replace the belt, and not do all the other things that normally are done ex: the water pump? I know that it had a full cambelt service at 110,000 kms.

Last question is anyone got any good recommendations on where I should take it for a cambelt service? I live in Auckland, but I could take it down to hastings/napier as I spend a lot of time down there.

Thanks again for all your guys help.
Looking forward to getting more involved in the forums now that I am owner!

elnevio
04-05-2011, 07:38 AM
I think that many of us are in the same boat of having spent a lot of money over the years on these cars, including purchase price. It makes it more difficult to look at this sort of purchase as 'disposable motoring' which the car in question represents.

Will the cambelt snap the minute it gets driven up the road? Unlikely. How long will it last? Who knows. It might go for another 100,000kms!

When it breaks, it gets scrapped.

At least, that's the way it looks to me!

serioustir
04-05-2011, 07:39 AM
oh, and ill post some pics soon also!

elnevio
04-05-2011, 07:39 AM
Well done! You do realise you now need to post up pics - they are mandatory! /Camera

elnevio
04-05-2011, 07:40 AM
Seriously, stop posting immediately before me!! /pan :rolleyes4

Gly
04-05-2011, 07:52 AM
you could risk doing just the belt, and it could be just fine,
it use's hydraulic tensoners, these can fail which is why its recommended to be done,
(tensioner loosen's, belt skips a few teeth, valves impact pistons = new motor)

water pumps not such an issue, it usually a seal that fails rather than the pump,
but the labour is still required to change it as its cambelt driven,
but for the few extra $$ why skimp??

the full cambelt job should be done EVERY 100thou km, meaning its 30thou km past due already,

what it comes down to.... are you willing to risk it?

serioustir
04-05-2011, 08:02 AM
I think that many of us are in the same boat of having spent a lot of money over the years on these cars, including purchase price. It makes it more difficult to look at this sort of purchase as 'disposable motoring' which the car in question represents.

Yea I totally understand that. I was looking for cheep cars around 2000 bucks, and saw this one and didn't think it would be legit... after seeing it yesterday I couldn't sleep last night haha... I am a kiwi, but I have been oversea's and most of my money is american bucks, and the exchange rate is real **** right now so I have been trying not to spend to much.

serioustir
04-05-2011, 08:03 AM
however, I am definitely considering getting the cambelt done now. Seems like a good car, and I think it deserves it.

serioustir
04-05-2011, 08:05 AM
I'll put some up tomorrow after I take it for a good cruise, and give it a clean up :)

p.s. sorry to spam a little there, was getting excited

Ryan
04-05-2011, 09:09 AM
... and most of my money is american bucks, and the exchange rate is real **** right now so I have been trying not to spend to much.

Heh, good thing you're not in Aus then ;) Good news on the purchase though. Can you at least tell us a bit about it? Is it a Legnum or a Galant? What colour is it? Does it have the "wood" centre console?

Any leather?

serioustir
04-05-2011, 09:59 AM
It a 1997 Legnum VR-4, white, automatic, with the wood dash, it doesn't have any leather... I believe it has the stock VR4 rims, and pretty much everything on the car is stock. The automatic transmission is going real well, and I am assume it has been serviced. The old guy had not tuned/modified it at all. It has a few dents and dings for its age, but its nice on the inside, and seems to be running quite smoothly. Going to take it for a good cruise tomorrow, so I'll let you know how it goes, and ill get some pics up so you can check it out!!

Can it be tomorrow already pls?!! /megawoot

low_vr4
04-05-2011, 10:02 AM
first day i drove my vr4 couldnt take the grin off my face, probably the same for most on here

serioustir
04-05-2011, 10:48 PM
Anyone know what is the best insurance company (NZ) to use? I am looking for affordable 3rd party.

mattnz
05-05-2011, 01:20 AM
You might have trouble getting third party, but you might just have to shop around.

low_vr4
05-05-2011, 02:53 AM
Anyone know what is the best insurance company (NZ) to use? I am looking for affordable 3rd party.

Try these ones mate:

CLIC - who i use and recommend
Club Auto
Car Sure

Dont use NAC - expensive as hell

I pay $969 a year for full insurance and im 21 with a twin turbo /Hyper

Nick Mann
05-05-2011, 09:34 AM
p.s. sorry to spam a little there, was getting excited

No probs!!

The cambelt is a gamble. The only belts I have heard of that have snapped have been taken out by something else. If the car is a disposable item and you really want to think about not doing the cambelt then I'd suggest removing the cover and inspecting the belt - check for small cracks, fraying, condition of teeth etc. If it was my car then I would do the full cambelt service, but if it was a very cheap car for the short term I'd consider the gamble too! One other point I'd make is that because the belt failures I know of have all been caused by other things, I think the items other than the belt are almost more important to change than the belt itself. I certainly wouldn't change just the belt on my car, it would always be the belt, pulleys, pump, hydraulic tensioner and accessory belts.

To be clear - the gamble has to be your decision. My advice if asked for would have to be do the full service.

Pastor of Muppets
05-05-2011, 09:55 AM
first day i drove my vr4 couldnt take the grin off my face, probably the same for most on here

I've had a VR4 for two years now and i still cant get the cheesey grin off my face everytime i get out!!

serioustir
05-05-2011, 12:54 PM
Had a great first day out in VR4!

Took the wagon on a cruise down the muriwai beach today, and had a great drive. The car is running great, and holy crap is it fast!!! It's the fastest car I have ever had. I am scared to push the peddle past half haha... Starting to think I am going to go ahead and get the cambelt done. It will give me peace of mind, and I think the car deserves it. I took some average pics today, but I want to get some good ones after I give it a good clean up. Ended up getting AA insurance 3rd party with theft and fire damage was like 315 NZ for a year, damn reasonable.

I feel like I became and enthusiast over night! /notworthy

TAR
05-05-2011, 05:53 PM
looking good.

:happy:

Ryan
05-05-2011, 07:15 PM
Had a great first day out in VR4!

Took the wagon on a cruise down the muriwai beach today, and had a great drive. The car is running great, and holy crap is it fast!!! It's the fastest car I have ever had. I am scared to push the peddle past half haha... Starting to think I am going to go ahead and get the cambelt done. It will give me peace of mind, and I think the car deserves it. I took some average pics today, but I want to get some good ones after I give it a good clean up. Ended up getting AA insurance 3rd party with theft and fire damage was like 315 NZ for a year, damn reasonable.

I feel like I became and enthusiast over night! /notworthy

You won't regret it, they are great cars if looked after. I also started off with a white pre-facelift like yours which started off life as standard but was eventually moderately modified before its eventual demise at the hands of some thieving bastards :(

If you're wondering what on earth a "pre-facelift" is, it is the shape that was made between 1996 and I think August or September 1998 before they changed over to "facelift" which looks like this:

http://www.vr-4.de/images/vr4.jpg

Oggie
05-05-2011, 10:08 PM
great car huh?

and ryan sorry to hear about your vr4 loss ..

Subaru ETA
06-05-2011, 12:47 AM
great car huh?

and ryan sorry to hear about your vr4 loss ..

He has replaced that stolen one with a super

mattnz
06-05-2011, 01:09 AM
Still having a tow-hook cover is generally a good sign too :)

Ryan
06-05-2011, 07:03 AM
Still having a tow-hook cover is generally a good sign too :)

Was really happy to see that my Super still had its one... Then the other night parked a little deep in one of the bays at work and everything was fine until I reversed out... Out it came, grrr! Thankfully managed to reattach it though.

Zitchu
08-05-2011, 09:10 AM
Done that more then once. Very annoying. Its now bolted on to a bracket I got made up to go behind the front bumper so I don't have that issue anymore.

serioustir
08-05-2011, 11:07 AM
anyone got a good reference or link to some more information on towing?

thx

Ryan
08-05-2011, 11:50 PM
anyone got a good reference or link to some more information on towing?

thx

Using the site's search function and the word "towing" I found this: http://www.clubvr4.com/forum/showthread.php?48239-Towing-a-VR4.-Definitive-answers!&highlight=towing

Kitten
09-05-2011, 03:23 AM
I brought mine from similar circumstances.

Done 220k kms, been well looked after, imported at 160k km and from there been up and down NZ (long distance KMs).

I got it for $2k.

Now it's done 260k kms, aside from ball joints it's been sweet as, and generally flies through wofs (aside from those ball joints).

I also had to do cambelt as well, and got the water pump at the same time. Even with mates rates on parts, cost me about $800ish but if you got someone you know all the more better (it's a big job).

I would do the water pump at the same time, just because it's a b**ch to do otherwise.

I think mine has been the best buy ever TBH at $2k lol

We're planning on doing an engine rebuild when we have the garage space :) Since it's not being used frequently now it can afford to be off the road.

Because I don't drive it frequently, I have that cheesy grin when I do get to drive it even after two years (petrol permitting). Awesome tow car too.

http://a4.sphotos.ak.fbcdn.net/hphotos-ak-snc3/26292_119402131408735_100000168472916_321434_25302 46_n.jpg

The things I do for my partner lol but pulled the Bombays no prob at all, and tow my horse with it.

serioustir
10-05-2011, 12:43 AM
I brought mine from similar circumstances.

Done 220k kms, been well looked after, imported at 160k km and from there been up and down NZ (long distance KMs).

I got it for $2k.

Now it's done 260k kms, aside from ball joints it's been sweet as, and generally flies through wofs (aside from those ball joints).

I also had to do cambelt as well, and got the water pump at the same time. Even with mates rates on parts, cost me about $800ish but if you got someone you know all the more better (it's a big job).

I would do the water pump at the same time, just because it's a b**ch to do otherwise.

I think mine has been the best buy ever TBH at $2k lol

We're planning on doing an engine rebuild when we have the garage space :) Since it's not being used frequently now it can afford to be off the road.

Because I don't drive it frequently, I have that cheesy grin when I do get to drive it even after two years (petrol permitting). Awesome tow car too.

http://a4.sphotos.ak.fbcdn.net/hphotos-ak-snc3/26292_119402131408735_100000168472916_321434_25302 46_n.jpg

The things I do for my partner lol but pulled the Bombays no prob at all, and tow my horse with it.

haha! that pic is awesome! Good to know they are towing beasts.

Amazing cars for the money!!

Yea been calling around looking for cambelt price quotes, just going to get the whole thing done.. Looks like it might be 1k plus, but I think" she" is definitely worth it!

serioustir
10-05-2011, 12:44 AM
if you love eating gas buy a vr4 and race it everywhere!!! :D

Got about 350kms to my first tank in it, it is def worth the money for the smile I get when I drive!

mattnz
10-05-2011, 02:20 AM
You should get a lot more on the highway, I've got about 550km to a bit under a tank before.

Make sure it's 98 though :P

serioustir
10-05-2011, 09:42 AM
The guys at the Mitsubishi dealer want 1350, and the only other cheapest I have found is 1250... Seems damn expensive. Might end up taking it to the mitsi dealer. Trying to find a better deal tho.

Subaru ETA
10-05-2011, 09:48 AM
Take it to the mitsi dealer. They will wash your car once it's done. I did my one twice on my vr4 and it's alot easier the second time around - so best take it somewhere that have done alot of them!

serioustir
30-05-2011, 07:56 AM
Update:

Found a mechanic to do the cambelt. It is in the shop right now. Going to do the spark plugs and some other work. Going to be a pretty massive bill, but hopefully it will run well for a while...