PDA

View Full Version : Import plates illegal on UK cars?

Scanny
04-05-2011, 12:38 PM
i tried to buy import plates to replace my UK plates but i was told that this is illegal? as i understood it, the law restricts the size of the lettering and spaces but not the size of the plate itself. i have seen private plates with 2 or 3 digits with cut to size number plates so why cant we go bigger?

elnevio
04-05-2011, 12:56 PM
Richie, the only limits to the plate are the margins between the lettering and the edges of the plate, which must be a minimum of 11mm - and also that nothing else must be displayed on the plate, apart from the Euro/Country symbol (optional), the BS number (mandatory) and the postcode of the plate manufacturer (mandatory). A 'two line' square (11"x8") plate is perfectly legal, but must be split where the normal gap is, and the gap between the two lines is 19mm. I'll not get into the import/motorbike size lettering etc, but you get the point.

So yes, you have been fed some incorrect information.

I have always opted to get 'show' plates, but made up to the legal standard. This way, you don't have to mess around with taking more ID to Halfords than you need to open a bank account. Something like this should be a good help! http://www.no1showplates.co.uk/new/

stuartturbo
04-05-2011, 08:38 PM
I got mine made up using bike letters at a local shop then trimmed to suit

Louis
04-05-2011, 09:24 PM
http://www.clubvr4.com/forum/showthread.php?32282-Got-%A330-fine-for-number-plates

check post 16, it has all the legal stuff.

Nick Mann
04-05-2011, 09:50 PM
Import plates are 13" x approx 7" so you can't get two rows of full height letters and the required gaps. You are only permitted to display that kind of plate if the car is an import AND the design of the car prevents UK sized plates being displayed.

I have got import plates on mine, but I am prepared for the smack and to swap to UK plates when I get the inevitable jobs worth copper tap me on the shoulder...

Scanny
10-05-2011, 12:28 PM
i did look at an alternative ie 11 x 8 but they just dont quite fit on the back. literally by millimetres which is really annoying. this also restricts getting a VR4 spoiler. a straight swap from another satellite silver leggie would be the ideal solution but that would apparently cause issues with the rear number plate. UK wouldnt fit, import would be illegal!

Humpty's Revenge
10-05-2011, 12:58 PM
You cannot get a standard UK size plate to fit the rear of a pajero & if you did it looks pants because it is just too big plus there's no room

Nick Mann
11-05-2011, 10:08 PM
The only tailgate I have seen that wouldn't fit a UK plate is one with a very rare plastic insert. 99% of imported Legnums could display a UK plate on the back of the car. (Mine could, but as I said before, it doesn't!)

adamvortex
11-05-2011, 10:26 PM
i can get plates done any size any style! i will post up the all in posted price tomorrow if anyone is intrested

adamvortex
13-05-2011, 12:14 AM
£25pair posted, any type/style

ex-derv
13-05-2011, 07:22 PM
you can find it al on the dvla website if you want - this is the bit you need though:

a) each character in the registration mark must be 64 millimetres high;

(b) the width of each character of the mark, other than the letter "I" and the figure "1", must be 44 millimetres;

(c) the width of every part of the stroke forming a character in a mark must be 10 millimetres;

(d) the spacing between any two characters within a group must be 10 millimetres;

(e) the vertical spacing between groups of characters must be 5 millimetres;

(f) the width of a margin between the mark and the top and lateral sides of the registration plate must be not less than 5 millimetres;

.and this bit tells you whether they apply to your car or not:

Size and spacing of characters: special cases
14A. - (1) This regulation applies in relation to any vehicle imported into the United Kingdom which -

(a) does not have European Community Whole Vehicle Type Approval; and

(b) is so constructed that the area available for the fixing of the registration plate precludes the display on the plate of a registration mark in conformity with the requirements of regulation 14.

I ended up getting showplates with characters that are about 2mm shorter than they should be but I can testify to the fact that speed cameras can read them so the police dont seem concerned about them and I live about 400 yards from Norfolk Constabulary headquarters.