PDA

View Full Version : First bump

adaxo
04-05-2011, 03:36 PM
Hi, today when I was going back home from work one chap bump me in the back, problem is I got never situation like this here in UK and really don't know how to sort this out.
He said it was his fault, and he ring to his insurance company and they told him to get my details and ring later so we exchange details (full names, addresses, car reg, insurance companies, phone nr) I take few pictures and we carrying to our destinations.
Is that OK? what I should do now? wait for someone to coming to see damage?ring my insurance comp? get some quotes for fixing damage? any advice how this process looks like in UK?
Put few picc later, now just need to calm down a bit.

Nick Mann
04-05-2011, 04:27 PM
Your insurance company need to know. Have you got legal cover on your insurance? Sometimes it can be easier to deal directly with his insurance company but I'm not sure how that works.

I hope the car isn't too bad and you have nothing worse than shock.

Pugme
04-05-2011, 04:52 PM
the general trend in the uk, is now he has admitted liabilty, have 3 days off work, go doctors, complain about back spazms and unbelieveable pain, in a very vague area, next make a full on claim and wait for ur 3-4 grand to drop thru ur door!

just typing it, sounds like a wind up! what a funny country we have become! lol

Humpty's Revenge
04-05-2011, 05:03 PM
the general trend in the uk, is now he has admitted liabilty, have 3 days off work, go doctors, complain about back spazms and unbelieveable pain, in a very vague area, next make a full on claim and wait for ur 3-4 grand to drop thru ur door!

just typing it, sounds like a wind up! what a funny country we have become! lol

That's exactly why our insurances are so high!

sabreuk
04-05-2011, 05:52 PM
Agreed steve. Adam phone your insurance company and tell them what's going on explain your side of the events etc then give them the details to the other party, your insurance will then deal with everything. Might take a couple of days for your insurance to send a company to pick your car up to take it and get valued but you don't have to worry bout that. Once it's been appraised both insurance companys will talk to each other agree who the blame is which in your case is a bonus then your car gets fixed and the other persons insurance pays for it. You could do the whiplash thing as mentioned you get a few quid depending how dramatic you are but the effect from that is if your not really hurt the whole country ends up paying higher premiums I don't just mean from your claim but the millions of people out there that want something for nothing. In the end the whiplash thing equals out by higher premiums if that makes sense.

Davezj
04-05-2011, 06:08 PM
Adam, i hope you got his reg number in those pictures! and i hope you got his details e.g. name (with id backup) , address, etc before leaving the scene of the accident.

just because he said he seemed to phoned his insurance company and they recommended he took your details and would get in contact with you later, sound a bit dodgy to me Adam . i don't know anyone that carries there insurance company phone number with them. it is easy to make it look like you are talking to someone on the phone when there is nobody on the other end.

I think i am sounding a bit cynical now but it is always best to be prepared.
i hope for your sake adam he is an honest person as there are a lot of dodgy people out there who drive with no insureance and have senarios already planed out to get them out of an accident.
best of luck mate.

adaxo
04-05-2011, 08:58 PM
Ok guys thanks for kind words and advise, I ring to my insurance and so far everything seems fine, I mean other guy is insured claim don't affect my NCB and tomorrow I should expect phone from driveassist and they should take care about my claim.
Dave I see you got very similar point of view like myself, TBH I was a bit overreacting just after bump (especially is happen around moss side area, locals know what I meant), but this poor chap was looking so guilty and trying to sort this out as best he could, he really ring to his ins company (I just put my ins comp nr in my mobile) with me to find out what to do next, and then we both calm down a bit and have little chat shake hands and drive away.
About additional claims, I'm feel OK so why I should claim for anything ?? but next side of story is if I don't claim (try to be fair), my premium next year drop down/no increase?? or ins comp look at my claim and say "he could claim but don't do it so lets treat him fair" don't think so. Don't get me wrong I not going to see doctor and simulate some daft pains (what could happen to my neck during 10 MPH bump) and hopefully they treat me/my car fair.

Here is how me beauty looks like now

Pugme
04-05-2011, 09:30 PM
:) i suppose i should have said, this is not something i have ever done!! and do not condone! but was merely saying this unfortunately seems to be the way this country now operates, with all these "where theres blame theres a claim" crap.

swinks
05-05-2011, 07:24 AM
:) i suppose i should have said, this is not something i have ever done!! and do not condone! but was merely saying this unfortunately seems to be the way this country now operates, with all these "where theres blame theres a claim" crap.
No-one thinks that Darren, but you've made a valid point.
Seems that recently we have massive snow ball effect, claims escalation and therefore level of compensation paid.

IMHO, everything else apart pure vehicle claim (like injuries, add loses, etc) should be cover by separate volunteer cover. If you were unfortunate and got injuries but not being covered then simply legal proceedings thru court, already much easier by millions "no win, no fee" solicitor agencies.
At least we, as daily drivers won't be paying ransom for any cheating scums.

adaxo
05-05-2011, 06:41 PM
Small update, today after few phone calls they sort out courtesy car which I don't really need but I was advised by work mates that it could speed up claim process a bit.
BTW I read this
http://www.thisismoney.co.uk/insurance/car/article.html?in_article_id=532295&in_page_id=35&ct=5&ito=1723
, and is looks like is something will be done in the future to avoid frauds, this is interesting too
http://www.thisismoney.co.uk/postcode

Pugme
05-05-2011, 10:16 PM
great my postcode is number 1468 out of 1697, and it seems the higher the number, the worse it is for ya!! great