PDA

View Full Version : Clutch replacement - Wellington (or Hutt)

cheers
05-05-2011, 10:28 PM
Hi

Sorry if this has been done before - did a search but couldnt really find what I wanted. Just purchased a 98 Legnum VR4 Turbo Station Wagon and clutch needs replacing. Any recommendations for somewhere to get this done where they wont rob me? Hoping there might be a good mechanic on here that has done this before willing to work for a reasonable rate. Alternatively a good service centre recommendation would be great too.

low_vr4
05-05-2011, 11:36 PM
I need the same question answered haha

cheers
06-05-2011, 12:37 AM
Got a couple of quotes back so far around the $1200 mark WTF. I've had clutches done in other cars for around $700 - why so much for one of these?

Subaru ETA
06-05-2011, 12:41 AM
Because it's an 8 hour job that why

Gly
06-05-2011, 01:20 AM
just the clucth kit retails around 700$ +

its a high performance car.

low_vr4
06-05-2011, 04:24 AM
Best bet is either to have a workshop day in your region with people who have done clutches before or become very friendly with a mechanic who can do perkies haha

VR4WGN
06-05-2011, 06:10 AM
you supply me the clutch and the car and ill install it all for 500,and anything else you want done too,but car must come to me

cheers
06-05-2011, 07:10 AM
Thanks VR4WGN, I might take you up on that - are you in Palmy? How long would you need car for as I would have to come up and then hang around PN until it was done kind of thing. Clutch kit seems to be much cheaper from overseas so I might get one that way. Please let me know.

Just picked up the car and seems pretty good apart from clutch, except for running out of gas on way home. They do go pretty well alright - not sure that I would class it as 'high performance' exactly, but that would depend what ur used to I guess ;) Would be one of the faster factory jappas I've driven though.

low_vr4
06-05-2011, 07:24 AM
You can pick up a legnum VR4 exedy HD clutch for around $675

VR4WGN
06-05-2011, 09:20 AM
Thanks VR4WGN, I might take you up on that - are you in Palmy? How long would you need car for as I would have to come up and then hang around PN until it was done kind of thing. Clutch kit seems to be much cheaper from overseas so I might get one that way. Please let me know.

Just picked up the car and seems pretty good apart from clutch, except for running out of gas on way home. They do go pretty well alright - not sure that I would class it as 'high performance' exactly, but that would depend what ur used to I guess ;) Would be one of the faster factory jappas I've driven though.
i can supply a clutch for round the 600 mark if you want,yes in palmy,itll take all of a few hours dude
0277210104 im only avail to do it until 28 May then i lose my shop and have to look for a new 1

cheers
06-05-2011, 02:50 PM
That would be 1100 and I can get it done down here for 12 so by the time I paid for gas and messing about for a day, it wouldnt be worth it. But if I could get a clutch kit landed here for less than $400, which is what its looking like, then its worthwhile. I need to do some more investigating as there seems to be four different clutches listed for my car, so need to make sure I am getting the correct one.

VR4WGN
06-05-2011, 06:59 PM
any VR4 HD clutch will suit,ps GSR are the same size....a few mwmbers iv done i used the standard exedy clutch and they still go fine

cheers
07-05-2011, 01:49 AM
How can I tell if it is the 240mm or 225mm I need? There are 2 listed for EC5W engine.

low_vr4
07-05-2011, 02:12 AM
That would be 1100 and I can get it done down here for 12 so by the time I paid for gas and messing about for a day, it wouldnt be worth it. But if I could get a clutch kit landed here for less than $400, which is what its looking like, then its worthwhile. I need to do some more investigating as there seems to be four different clutches listed for my car, so need to make sure I am getting the correct one.

how u getting a clutch landed for 400? link?

cheers
07-05-2011, 02:45 AM
Have found thats for the 225mm which is common in US. The 240mm is way more expensive because they seem to only have them in Europe. Trying to cross reference with something that went stateside but no luck so far. Have to go to work now but I'll have another go tomorrow.

Gly
07-05-2011, 05:47 AM
6a13tt vr4's use only a 240mm clutch, pull type,

MBK-7223 (with what ever extension for clutch build type, hd/hdb/hdbc etc.) is the exedy part number
this is a direct fit no probs

make sure you get a kit with the clutch disc,clutch cover (pressure-plate) and release bearing,
and the flywheel machined.

oh and they never had 8th gen or 7th gen VR4s in the USA
all there "vr4's" are GTO's (3000gt) and the clutch from them will not fit,

the closest fitment from the states will be the evo 7/8/9 item,

these will blot to the stock flywheel and work, (must use the evo cover and disc)
thou few people have reported clearance issues with the evo clutch cover and bell housing,

you can use an entire evo 7/8/9 kit inc flywheel if you get a spacer plate and longer flywheel bolts
(this needs to be custom made, or someone in the uk is/was selling a kit to do this)

Subaru ETA
07-05-2011, 06:36 AM
I think the 225 is for an earlier vr4?

Gly
07-05-2011, 09:01 AM
I think the 225 is for an earlier vr4?

Correct
the 1993-1995 7th gen vr4's use a 225mm push type clutch

cheers
25-05-2011, 11:05 PM
Wound up getting a local garage to do it - friend of dad, etc. Definitely recommend anyone talks to VR4WGN if you need this done. Wound up costing me a lot more than the original price for the little extra bits and they complained the whole time about how difficult it was. My advice for what its worth is to go with someone who has done this job before!!

That said, am very pleased with car. They go well and stick like **** to a blanket.

low_vr4
26-05-2011, 10:31 AM
What did u supply to them? clutch kit..

cheers
26-05-2011, 02:36 PM
Yeah I supplied clutch kit - $675 from mp autoparts. I didnt get the wheel nut key with the car so another hours labour to get the old ones off and about $100 or something ridiculous for new wheelnuts or splines or something to do with the wheelnuts anyway. Extras included rear engine seal, and the gearbox oil which I thought was part of initial quote. Also replaced radiator for me at same time which I supplied but cant really count that as nothing to do with clutch. Basically $500 job became $1000+ job. Could have been worse though - at one stage they called me and said it wouldnt bleed and I needed a new master cylinder but they found what was wrong and got it working before replacing it.

Got car back 9 days after dropping it off and then had to take it somewhere else for a wof check because they didnt have time for a check before Monday next week - bit sad I reckon.

Sorry mate I knew at the time I should have taken it up to you but you know what its like when family gets involved and you dont want to disappoint them with the work they've put in to sort it.

At least its done now I guess. Looking forward to getting this arm done tomorrow and getting some stickers back on it before it goes dormant next month.

Could have been the end for this one - was very close to being wrecked but pleased that I resurrected it now even though its gone over budget. I'll put some photos up tomorrow.

Subaru ETA
26-05-2011, 10:14 PM
Yea mine was the same with the clutch not wanting to bleed up. Just got it close enough to working and it came right with a drive.

For major work on a car I would always take it to a MTA approved workshop to be done. That way you are getting qualified people working on your car and if something turns to ****, you can sort it out through the MTA

cheers
26-05-2011, 10:32 PM
Yeah they are MTA certified. No problem with the workmanship at all - just a bit of a messaround because they hadnt done the job before so didnt know what they were in for.

low_vr4
05-09-2011, 04:59 AM
does the flywheel HAVE to be skimmed? Or is it just recommended in case of cracks etc. Mine has been slipping about 800kms

mattnz
05-09-2011, 05:10 AM
Correct me if I'm wrong, but isn't it more to ensure there is a good contact surface between the clutch and flywheel?

Subaru ETA
05-09-2011, 05:17 AM
It's to ensure the surface is even to prevent shudder

cheers
05-09-2011, 05:34 AM
Its not expensive and worth doing while its apart IMO.

low_vr4
05-09-2011, 06:50 AM
Correct me if I'm wrong, but isn't it more to ensure there is a good contact surface between the clutch and flywheel?

From what i know its to remove cracks and imperfections from the flywheel caused my slipping to ensure a better surface which will remove the possibility of shuddering and extend the new clutches life

Subaru ETA
05-09-2011, 07:24 AM
Correct. But even if there is no heat marks or anything the surface will still be uneven, much like brake disks

low_vr4
05-09-2011, 07:27 AM
Will get it done, cheers guys

low_vr4
06-09-2011, 12:50 AM
Anyone have any idea on the cost of getting the flywheel skimmed? Have been quoted $80

Gly
06-09-2011, 09:10 AM
60ish here in aucks

low_vr4
06-09-2011, 09:12 AM
car is booked in for clutch! cant wait