PDA

View Full Version : VR4 Question

Zeke
20-10-2004, 04:48 AM
I'm waiting for my 97 VR4 Type S to arrive from Japan and was wondering how loud the engine/turbos are from the cabin.

I saw the video of gtrrace.wmv and heard a lot of hiss from the BOV. I don't know if that car was stock, but does the BOV have a silencer in them from the factory?

Can't wait till I get my paws on it, only a month to go!
Z

Roadrunner
20-10-2004, 08:29 AM
Standard car is very quiet, loudest noise will be road noise from the tyres. With a standard exhaust, you'll not turn heads in the street. No atmospheric BOV as standard. Real stealth car :)

enigma
20-10-2004, 08:35 AM
Thats right, the factory BOV is a recirculating type so you wont even know it is there! The exhaust is whisper quiet as well so it looks like you will be pleased with your new VR4! :D

I have gone the other way, I have a VERY loud BOV, and a custom made VERY VERY loud exhaust! However, as the car is an Auto I can pretty much choose when to use the BOV, under normal gear changes there is no WHOOOSH, but if I lift off the loud pedal on purpose.......it makes small children cry (no really, it has happened!)

Spirit
20-10-2004, 09:25 AM
As you will now know, the VR4 in gtrrace.wmv was not stock, in fact it was my old VR4. The BOV fitted to it is the HKS SSQV which was reasonably loud but as Dave said you can control when it makes a noise being an auto.

My new VR4 does not YET have an atmospheric BOV......but it will as we miss the noise :laugh:

Zeke
20-10-2004, 04:31 PM
However, as the car is an Auto I can pretty much choose when to use the BOV, under normal gear changes there is no WHOOOSH, but if I lift off the loud pedal on purpose.......it makes small children cry (no really, it has happened!)

lol! I HAVE to try that for kicks! Can someone point me to a link where I can get an atmospheric BOV for my Type S? They'd have to be able to ship international though. :-D

Z

twwofiddysix
19-12-2007, 09:33 AM
Standard car is very quiet, loudest noise will be road noise from the tyres. With a standard exhaust, you'll not turn heads in the street. No atmospheric BOV as standard. Real stealth car :)
Just wondering if i can take the plumb back bov off and put a normal bov on will it stuff the idoling or the air meter thanks

Nick Mann
19-12-2007, 09:42 AM
Some people have trouble, some don't. I'm not sure there is a definitive answer.

bradc
19-12-2007, 09:44 AM
it depends on the type of BOV and sometimes the setting of the bov and how the spring is set on it. It is difficult to answer simply with a yes or no.

twwofiddysix
19-12-2007, 09:48 AM
swet thanks

twwofiddysix
19-12-2007, 09:51 AM
whitch bov do u perfer

twwofiddysix
19-12-2007, 09:52 AM
4 a 97 manual vr4 wagon

Nick Mann
19-12-2007, 10:39 AM
You don't need to type a new post for each sentence?! /pan

I have an HKS SSQV. But there are many different options out there. Some say the SSQV is too loud.

Davezj
19-12-2007, 02:46 PM
he hasn't seen the edit button yet, it is usful.