PDA

View Full Version : TCL puzzler

sabreuk
07-05-2011, 06:24 PM
hey up chaps something has come to my attention after meeting up with dave (666damed) at rising sun show that my fl has not got a tcl button and or light, i do have ayc lights on the dash they illuminate on startup and then go out ive never seen a green light on when driving around and ive tried real hard to get at least 1 of the lights to light up but anyway back to tcl, should mine have a tcl button or not? what could the reason be as to why it doesnt have it fitted??? any suggestions most welcome.

Nutter_John
07-05-2011, 07:04 PM
FL don't have TCL

when you turn the car on do you see the red AYC light come on in the bottom right corner of the dash , if not then the chances are the bulb has blown (or been removed ) and your ayc is not working

sabreuk
07-05-2011, 07:06 PM
hmmm ill go have a look in a min i cant say i have ever noticed a red ayc light???? hmmm might be a trip back to ebony n ivory for a bit of warranty work me thinks if its not there.

sabreuk
07-05-2011, 07:13 PM
just had a gander all ive got is the 3 green bars for ayc illuminate for a few seconds and then goes out, there is no red ayc light at all showing. is this bad long term and needs sorting now or is it no big problem?

Nutter_John
07-05-2011, 07:18 PM
Well if the 3 bars light up and no red ayc on start up then I would suggest that the bulb has been pulled due to the AYC not working

just remove the dash and you will see if the bulb has been removed which is a common way to hide a knackered pump

You can't damage the diff by the ayc pump not workling unless it has not fuilds in it , deffo need to go speak with E&I

horndog
07-05-2011, 07:19 PM

This shows my dash on startup, you can see the red AYC under the temp gauge,
this goes off after a few seconds - if the AYC is working OK

sabreuk
07-05-2011, 07:46 PM
cheers fellas defo dont have that red ayc light on startup. ill give e+i a bell monday then and see what he says about it. is it an expensive fix if e+i wont sort it?

elnevio
07-05-2011, 08:37 PM
Could be anything AYC related! Maybe a fuse (cheap) or the AYC pump (not so cheap) or sensor problems (PITA!).

You can't even pull the fault codes, as there is no working bulb to flash the AYC codes at you!

As suggested, most will say go straight to E&I, without passing go.

However, I would call them, tell them the problem (i.e. AYC not working and no AYC bulb (or not working)), and then tell them that rather than going straight back to them, I will (if they are happy for me to) remove the dash clocks and check to see if the bulb is blown/missing and replace it - then I will see if the red AYC light stays on and also check the fault codes. Then I will tell them the results.

Probably a bit of a time-saver both sides.

sabreuk
07-05-2011, 08:41 PM
you want me to ask ben for if its ok for me to check the bulb or ask him if its ok for you to check it nev???? lol having brain fart there.

elnevio
07-05-2011, 08:44 PM
Hmmm, sure I had an 'If it were me' in there at some point! /pan

sabreuk
07-05-2011, 08:47 PM
ah ok ill go take me head for a poo now nev then ill be back to normal again lol. been a long day

Nutter_John
07-05-2011, 09:13 PM
Not the fuse as the 3 bars would not light up if the fuse wasn't there ;)

sabreuk
07-05-2011, 09:16 PM
so im checking the light behind the dials then and if its blown replace and if the red light stays on its the pump and off to e+i for warrenty work.

elnevio
07-05-2011, 09:16 PM
I was, er, talking about, um, the, er, other fuse?... /dunce :coat

Nutter_John
07-05-2011, 09:18 PM
But it could be the big 60 amp fuse in the engine bay that controls the pump

But I would put money on it being the pump pressure failure and someone has blown/removed the bulb to hide this fact

horndog
07-05-2011, 09:18 PM
so im checking the light behind the dials then and if its blown replace and if the red light stays on its the pump and off to e+i for warrenty work.

Change the bulb, if it stays on then pull the diagnostic codes and go from there

http://www.clubvr4.com/forum/showthread.php?45151-Reading-the-VR-4-s-Diagnostic-Codes

elnevio
07-05-2011, 09:22 PM
When you have a working bulb, check the fault codes using this guide: http://www.clubvr4.com/forum/showthread.php?45151-Reading-the-VR-4-s-Diagnostic-Codes

EDIT: Good Grief, I am slow today! :zzz:

sabreuk
07-05-2011, 09:25 PM
so its not just me nev lol, im blaming old age on my part well 32 years old is old enough for senile dementure to kick in lol

Davezj
09-05-2011, 11:11 PM
to get the green AYC lights to show up,

drive in a straight line 15mph and turn steering wheel as quickly as possible 90 deg right then 180 deg left then 90 deg right again all 3 green lights sould come on while you are swinging right, left, right.

sabreuk
10-05-2011, 03:44 PM
Thanks chaps, spoke to e+I ben said it's a switch I'n the pump that isn't playing he also said he used to be able to get the swithch for £20 but now there like rocking horse poo :-/ so if I want it sorting it's getting the full pump refurbed at a cost of £600 of which he wants to go halves with me on the cost as the so called warranty only has £300 max claim limit per job :( so think I might just leave as is if the consensus is it won't affect anything by not working. After that I didn't ask if I could check the bulb etc as I lost intrest after being told I gota stump up another £300 :(

elnevio
10-05-2011, 05:57 PM
Send a PM to Malc (MPBVr4) who should be able to sort you out with a switch. Even though he now owns a Scooby. Just goes to show you that there is a bit of good in everybody somewhere! :D

sabreuk
10-05-2011, 06:28 PM
ok bud thanks ill give him a shout.