PDA

View Full Version : what EBC

sabreuk
08-05-2011, 12:38 AM
heres a techy question for you all im looking at getting an ebc next payday but scouring the tinternet theres a fair few to choose from from el cheapo ebay kit to proper uber expensive mortgage stuff ive had a look at a couple of different types and not sure as to which one to go for, so out of these which is the most user friendly and easiest to setup and works best with the vr4? also on the hdi boost controllers there is various types ie type d type d se type s etc which type do we need? as the only difference i can see is extras thrown into the kit like gauges etc or does the type differ with the fitment?
on the apexi type ebc that looks well complicated to get my head around does anybody have any experience with this type of ebc?

Nutter_John
08-05-2011, 12:46 AM
My pref is the AVCR , but it is expensive

Have heard good reviews of the gizmo rev based ebc , but it is hard to setup due to only two buttons

bottom line you pays your money and take your choice :D

sabreuk
08-05-2011, 12:52 AM
does the wiring side differ john or is it universal wiring? plug and play stuff

Nutter_John
08-05-2011, 12:54 AM
the apexi has about 6 wires to connect , I think the gizmo is 3 or 4 wires

both are easy to install as long as you take your time and double check everything

Ghost_2008
08-05-2011, 01:12 AM
From what I gather most will wire into the ECU loom, there's a pin out guide on here and using that with the fitting instructions you should be good to go...... As John said it's not so much fitment as set up, some are easier, some are more precise........ setting them up properly is sometimes easier if it's a well know brand as some garages will know how or if someone is running the same set up you could copy their settings and adjust slightly, remember not all engines run the same.... usually a good idea to have a Dyno run first (if you havent already) to ensure the cars healthy before fiddling too much.......

sorry if I'm teaching you to suck eggs, but it's better than a blown up engine :)

sabreuk
08-05-2011, 01:21 AM
Adam any advice is well appreciated I'm still finding my way around the vr4 as some of the things operate slightly different to how it should work lol so no your not teaching me to suck eggs. No I haven't had a dyno run yet infact not entirely sure as to the best/closest place to go near hull. On the ebc I'm not realy wanting to spend much more than £300. I'm not I'n any real rush just putting the feelers out for next pay day. So other than the ebc is there anything I should/shouldn't do or get to get the best out of the ebc?

Ghost_2008
08-05-2011, 03:10 AM
Good supporting mods would be, air filter, K&N, HKS something along those lines, keep the standard box and snorkle.... straight through exhaust, intercooler and maybe a fuel pump..... not essential, the air filter and exhaust would free up the breathing, the intercooler would ensure the air is cool, also the turbos dont have to work so hard if it flows better than the standar one and the fuel pump will ensure you can maintain fuel delivery to match the increased air flow from upping the boost...... our cars can run lean... If you do find a local rolling road they should read your AFR's (air fuel ratio), this can be a guide for weather the fuel pump is necessary.....

I have a K&N filter and a straight through stainless exhaust, you notice the difference from them alone, the car feels more responsive with maybe a couple of extra pony's....... I also cable tied my soft pipes under the bonnet, it stops the soft pipes expanding (not as much as hard pipes but a lot cheaper) making the car a little more responsive again.... a fiddly job but cheap as chips.....

ILLEGAL
08-05-2011, 04:58 AM
get a NZ$2 boost controller?? why would you want anything else? the boost will still drop at redline with the factory little turbos. my mod list (on a budget) would be in this order... $2 boost tap (the "ILLEGAL" tap) running around 13psi (or what ever the ecu will let me run) 3" exhaust, K&N air filter (OE replacement) and a EXEDY HD Clutch (not button type).. if money allows then have the ecu re tuned and boost cut removed, 600x300x75mm intercooler and fuel pump upgraded. and crank the boost to 19psi..

BUT KEEP IN MIND... i build my VR4 s to break things... like 5 year records and transfer boxes and whatever else that cant handle being apart of my toy.. this season i want to break a 11 second 1/4 mile :) if it was meant to last long they would not have put a turbo on it!

sabreuk
08-05-2011, 10:24 AM
Cheers adam, I Already have a cone filter fitted and a full exhaust from turbo back fitted. The ecu was gona be next after the boost controller but I gota find out which of the 3 ecu I have I'n mine. After them lil mods I'm not going to be doing a great deal more to it as it's my daily driver so to that end richard I want to make sure what I do put on it is the proper kit I'n the hope I don't break the car by using bodged kit like the boost tap you mention. Appreciate what you were saying though mate i also don't want to break things like transfer boxes lol.

aboo
08-05-2011, 10:37 AM
I'v been running a boost tap at around 1 bar for over 2 years now with no problem. That's why I have never got a EBC. I know the EBC gives you a more precise boost level but why spend £200/£300 on something to up the boost when a £15/£20 boost tap does the same job.

Also when upping the boost you would be best changeing spark plugs & leads as well.

sabreuk
08-05-2011, 10:46 AM
Fair point Andy I'd just prefer an ebc rather than mbc. On the plugs n leads I have blue magnacor leads but not sure what plugs are fitted yet.

Wobble
08-05-2011, 11:15 AM
i got a gizzmo ebc and i would rate this , easy to set up and install (gowf did it for ) has 6 different settings to customize what boost and gain .choose this one as the apaxi's are harder to set up,and cost more ,think i paid £205 for mine from an ebay shop and arrived next day aswell .

when i say easy to set up i mean you can drive and have a play with it ,not that i would recommend doing that though.

oh and looks nice to, i have mine in my coin tray and pull it down when i drive and want to see what im hitting.

ILLEGAL
08-05-2011, 11:24 AM
i have been running 15-30psi with my $2 controller for the last 3 years. i have been given 2 gizzmo EBCs for free during that time... fitted one it worked fine but decided to go back to the reliability of a manual boost controller. with no solenoid to break i rather run a manual controller, set and forget!/Steeringw let my right foot determine the boost level.

ILLEGAL
08-05-2011, 11:40 AM
i would have to agree the gizzmo is user and installer friendly... if it were a EBC you wanted the gizzmo will work fine.

basically 1 wire for ground 1 wire for ignition and two other wires for the boost solenoid.. and a vacuum hose from the intercooler pipes after the intercooler. replace the factory boost control solenoid with the new solenoid and go for a spin.. while setting the boost levels up make sure you manage to get to the end of third gear.

Ghost_2008
08-05-2011, 07:26 PM
Hello mate no problem, I would say however if you have a cone filter you may want to have a look on here about issues some people have/percieve..... it's argued that a cone filter will draw hot air from the engine bay which lowers the oxygen rating ruducing power rather than the usual increase, others say that the air doesnt necessarily flow correctly which causes the MAF sensor to read incorrectly. I have no experience of doing this on the VR4 but I would suggest possibly running some ducting from the front left fog light (if you have a pre face lift) grill up to the pod filter and some sort of heat shield..... another reasonable cheap mod if you can find the room for the ducting to run ......

I would say the main difference between the EBC's and MBC's is the ability to alter boost to a given RPM, this is more accurate and just generally better...... I do have an MBC fitted and it's enough for me....... if you are thinking about an ECU remap, if yours is capable then forget the EBC or MBC as the remapped ECU will take charge of that anyway......

Personally given the choice I would go for the ECU remap, the way I see it is safer and will possibly even return better MPG......