PDA

View Full Version : Boost controller comparison

nick-f1
21-10-2004, 01:09 PM
Hi Guys , found this link to a test on boost controllers. They sure dont rate the apexi-avc r. Have a look here http://www.sportcompactcarweb.com/tech/0207scc_boostcontrol/

Legnum Boy
21-10-2004, 01:39 PM
I read just the apexi article, cos im pressed for time, and I have to admit that they have hit the nail on the head.
...but what they dont go on to explain is, the longer you have the unit and the more you do play with it, the more controllable the boost level is.

A week ago, I was ready to stick mine on the second hand market.
Since a few realisations (the 57 page manual is sh*te) I now understand how the unit works, and why it wouldn't do as it was told in the first place.
The amount of control I now have over my boost level, I believe, is un-parallelled for the same money spent. :-D

zentac
21-10-2004, 02:09 PM
have to admit after turning all the auto learn crap off it works quite nicely and Ive got it holding 0.8 bar boost which I couldnt get before.

nick-f1
21-10-2004, 04:36 PM
For ease of use and to setup the Greddy Profec-B seems to have the best write up. The article mentions a full comparison write up in a later issue, will have to see if i can locate it.

Legnum Boy
22-10-2004, 10:38 AM
have to admit after turning all the auto learn crap off it works quite nicely and Ive got it holding 0.8 bar boost which I couldnt get before.
I have got my two settings worked out nicely now.... Took long enough, but I'm finally there.. :$

I haven't completely disabled self learning though, because it can be handy at fine tuning the boost levels according to the ambient air temperature. ;)

With the feedback speed set to 1 in all gears, it allows the unit to slowly adjust the duty cycle to match the boost level you are requesting, regardless of the difference in intake temps.

I emphasise the word slowly... It was this darn feedback setting that was the cause of my massive spikes.. :-D

This setting doesn't permanently adjust the duty cycle you have selected, it just moves it around to suit the driving and temperatures, each and everytime the duty starts. Real Handy!!! ;)

All I can say now is.... A'PEXi Rocks!!! :drummer:

nick-f1
22-10-2004, 12:24 PM
Glad you got it sorted ok Legnum Boy, I was a bit put off by the problems you had been having :dozey: . But after reading these write ups will have a good look at the Greddy profec B 11 in the new year when funds allow, until then I am installing a MBC this weekend. :rolleyes5

Legnum Boy
22-10-2004, 01:16 PM
Good luck with the install. :)
Don't go melting any pistons.... :-D ;)