PDA

View Full Version : Changing Turbo

jjayokocha
14-05-2011, 01:05 PM
How difficult is it to change a front turbo on a VR-4? I changed a few turbos on the starlets before and got round them ok with removing manifolds, oil feeds & water pipes. Managed to pick up 2 turbos & 2 manifolds with only 57k on them yesterday for £72 all in but garage has quoted me £45 p/hr plus vat to fit them @ about 4hrs work.

Wodjno
14-05-2011, 01:36 PM
With the possibility that you may snap studs etc.. I think that the price is not excessive.. They can be a PITA. If you got all the tools and the patience then it can be done..

jjayokocha
14-05-2011, 01:58 PM
Ye i know i could run into problems, just the car needs leak test and few other bits done aswell for mot and i wanted to try save money on labour on bits i can do myself.

richy rich
14-05-2011, 06:02 PM
The front is quite easy but the rear is a bitch if you change the manifolds as well. You can change the compreser side only quite easyly.

jjayokocha
14-05-2011, 06:33 PM
Ye its just the front I need to change, new turbo comes with mani so cud swap them together as one. I don't have access to a ramp so is it possible to do withaxle stands? Any guides or pics on changing them?

richy rich
14-05-2011, 07:28 PM
Yep axel stands no prob. Don't think there is a guide.

Wodjno
14-05-2011, 08:05 PM
Ye its just the front I need to change, new turbo comes with mani so cud swap them together as one. I don't have access to a ramp so is it possible to do withaxle stands? Any guides or pics on changing them?

Ah sorry.. Didn't read 1st post properly..Saw u got 2 Turbo's and thought you were changing both.. /Help And as i said if it was the both then the price quoted seems fair..
But as Richy says, if it's just the front then not to bad, as long as all the bolts come undone ok /yes

Wodj

jjayokocha
15-05-2011, 03:29 PM
Cheers lads, think i will just do it myself to try save the money for health check after its been changed.

I presume easiest way is to unbolt turbo from exhaust then undo the manifold and lift out in one piece? how easy are water & oil feed to take off?