PDA

View Full Version : Bye Bye Gti

marsh
23-10-2004, 10:19 PM
Hello.

First off, thanks to big dave for pointing me over here from the lancer register. Were it not for you I might be picking up an impreza wagon instead of a lurverly Vr4 estate.

So, after 6 years of near faultless service and the fact that at 27 a 106 gti is no longer the fairly exclusive club it used to be (and it's cramped, noisy, basic, and small) I'm getting shot of it for a VR4. It's a jap import, very low miles (though I'll take that with a pinch of salt) in fairly good nick, and standard from what I can tell.

Thanks to the buying guide i think all is well with the expensive parts, but I'm wondering if there's anyway you can check if the cam belt needs changing?. I know you mostly go on mileage but does it's general condition give any indication to wear?.

The fan belt also squeals a bit, so I reckon I'll have that changed when the cam belt is swapped if needed.

Other than that is there anything else I should be on the lookout for?.

Well happy with the motor, comfort and speed in a rather deceptive looking bundle.

Yay.

Kieran
23-10-2004, 10:33 PM
Welcome to the club. :)

As regards cambelts.... You can't be sure of the mileage from Japan (though it should be pukka) so I'd do as many others on here have done and make a cambelt change your 1st priority whatever. There's a lot of expensive engine bits that are ruined when to cambelt goes!

Nick VR4
23-10-2004, 10:57 PM
Ditto full service I would recommend

and then talk to Red Zebra for a warranty

marsh
24-10-2004, 08:41 AM
Thaks guys.

Does anyone know of somewhere decent to get said work done in the bedfordshire area?.

BTW, I think I'll be paying up for full membership asap!. That's something I never did over at the lancer register.