PDA

View Full Version : [RVR] Clutch Slipping

Beastlee
22-05-2011, 11:42 AM
Sorry for posting in the VR4 forum, please move if necesarry.

Since fitting the Profec EBC (perhaps before but we never noticed) the clutch on the RVR will slip occasionally. Nev had it replaced in Feb 2010 with an Exedy organic fast-road unit and had the flywheel skimmed at a reputable clutch centre. Since then it's done around 10k miles with a couple of launches and at least one track session.1st and 2nd have no issues and the majority of the time 3rd-5th are OK too. If you don't drop down a gear then the clutch is fine until you hit 3K RPM and slips to 4K RPM (about 10 seconds) then settles again and is fine.
There is a small amount of oil on the underside of the gearbox where it meets the engine so I'm not sure if it's come from the box or higher up on the engine. If the clutch is contaminated would these be the right sypmtoms? I have seen Camskill also do the input shaft seal and wonder if this could be the source as it wasn't changed last time. There's also a rattle under heavy load that we had put down the springs on the retaining plate but obviously this may be related.

I'd rather not shell out big money on replacing the clutch, is it something I can fit myself (and the seal) or would I need to get it professionally done?

Thanks
Lee

Beastlee
26-05-2011, 11:39 AM
Update: Drove the car again and this time the clutch didn't slip, including when I floored it in 4th and 5th from 3K RPM.

It was suggested that thsi could be weak springs on the pressure plate, is this possible?

Beastlee
17-06-2011, 08:06 AM
Gave the car some stick the other day and no slippage, hopefully it was a tempoary issue. Time to up the boost a little more and find out :)

Nick Mann
17-06-2011, 01:14 PM
If the clutch is abused it can damage the surface of the friction material. If driving carefully for a time it can bed in again. However, abusing it is still likely to damage it again. If it starts slipping, be gentle with it for a while!

Beastlee
17-06-2011, 06:09 PM
Thanks Nick, I had hoped taking it easy may resurface the plate slightly.

Beastlee
21-10-2011, 07:44 PM
Well, £600 later we solved the clutch issue. The old clutch was not a pretty sight and we're lucky to have avoided a knackered flywheel! New one is brutal in comparison and the bite-point is low enough to ensure hilarity at every shift for now LOL

Mrs B
21-10-2011, 07:47 PM
I am really pleased you've got it sorted Lee, just gutted that our 'new' clutch didn't last you as long as it should have. At least The Fridge is free to have fun again. :D

Beastlee
21-10-2011, 09:17 PM
Amy, I don't know what happened to it but the one we fitted is the same type as the one you folks had fitted less than 2 years ago. I hope it's not a design flaw of that model!
I was noting the milage when we picked it up and also realised it's 2 weeks till we've had him a year, new odometer reading is 47,748...3,300 miles since we bought him! That includes a 1000 mile round trip to the UK because mine wasn't ready at the time, so next year I estimate 2000 miles max. With the BMW we are intending to source a car trailer so that the RVR can have a leisurely triip to shows or the Ring. :) Spoilt car hehe

Beastlee
05-11-2011, 06:52 PM
And back in it goes, since getting it back the transmission has been leaking considerably. Hopefully just from the drain plug but left it with them to make sure!