PDA

View Full Version : A/T lifting point

GalantOnly
22-05-2011, 04:57 PM
Hello :)

I should forum-search, but my internet connection is VERY slow, so I just ask here:

Is there any lifting point on tiptronic VR4 boxes? I know there's one on the manuals, but I can't see any on the auto...:uhoh2: An it's heavy :uhoh2:
Am I suppose to make it myself?? /Hmmm

edit: holes in gearbox mount??

Nutter_John
22-05-2011, 05:01 PM
Never user any lifting points on either the auto or manual , if doing it on the floor then would use a 3 tonne jack and some wood (or transmission support beam on the jack) , or if on a ramp then use a pukka transmission jack .

Another way of doing it is to wrap a strap around the gearbox and use a engine crane to support the weight whilst you lower onto the floor (but you will need a engine support beam as once the last gearbox mount is undone the only thing supporting the engine is the left hand engine mount )

as Your not doubt aware it weights over 100kg so can be awkward to support on your own ,best bet is to get a buddy to help you out at that stage

GalantOnly
22-05-2011, 05:14 PM
That's crazy...:inquisiti

100kg?! I can get the manual off the engine with bare hands, just lying on the floor, but I can feel that it's not a good idea to do the same with auto...:thinking:

GalantOnly
22-05-2011, 05:28 PM

What's those holes are for?

Nutter_John
22-05-2011, 05:48 PM
Full auto box with TC is closer to 120kg versus 55kg for the manual

not sure what the holes are for but if you support it via that and undo the bolts then the box will not be as easy to remove(I normally remove the whole mount before dropping the box )

richy rich
22-05-2011, 06:28 PM
I use the bolt from rear role stop and put it though the holes you have pictured using a engine hoist and a jack under the engine to keep it in aproxematly the correct place.

GalantOnly
22-05-2011, 09:46 PM
I use the bolt from rear role stop and put it though the holes you have pictured using a engine hoist and a jack under the engine to keep it in aproxematly the correct place.

Allright... Will try that, thanks :)
Didn't think that alloy was stong enough

GalantOnly
24-05-2011, 10:15 PM

That worked totally for me! :thumbsup:
No need to use the jack to support it at all. The ballance was perfect - the box was as horisontal as it can get. One hoist for the engine and one for the box...
Nice one/yes45464

richy rich
25-05-2011, 12:54 PM
Cool