PDA

View Full Version : FMIC pipework options

Atik
23-05-2011, 11:53 AM
Hey all,

Taken delivery of my Evo 8 FMIC, and am now trying to work out the best way of mounting it to the car.
As you know the stock FMIC on the VR4 has one pipe on the top (driver side) and the other at the opposite side bottom (pass side). 45429
(Image courtesy of this thread (http://www.clubvr4.com/forum/showthread.php?45978-Op-FMIC&highlight=intercooler+pic).)

The FMIC I have taken delivery of is this...

With the intercooler mounted 'right' way up, the only way I can see to get the pipework to mount is as follows:

If I was to flip the intercooler upside down, it would go like this:

As you can see, the upside down version would be ideal as it reduces the distance the air has to travel and the huge bend it would have to navigate too. Any thoughts? Would the intercooler still work effectively in an upside down fitment? I cant see why not, but thought it better to ask before I go out and buy the relevant hoses and clamps and joiners etc. And for clarification, I could probably re-use part of the original pipe, but I want to replace the ugly looking one for a nice red one as the car will be undergoing some surgical procedures to get it to look pretty again, and I want to fit some nice looking hoses to 'bling' through the grilles.

Wodjno
23-05-2011, 02:56 PM
Atik.. Upside down will work just as well.. Thats the way i would fit it, if i was doing it /yes Sure thats how Derek must have had it fitted to his car.. I'll drop him a Text and ask him to Pop in online :)

Wodj

BraindG
23-05-2011, 03:05 PM
It would have to go upside down, the right way up would just cause to many airflow restrictions.

Atik
23-05-2011, 03:36 PM
Thats excellent stuff chaps. Will have a look see with measurements tonight and get some hoses and clamps ordered by the end of the week.

Louis
23-05-2011, 06:29 PM
I vote upside down!, I wouldn't want a 135 deg corner in the pipework, you want to keep it as free flowing as possible.

sabreuk
23-05-2011, 06:34 PM
silly question cant you take the end cap off and turn it round the other way so you have one at the top and one at the bottom, we used to do that on ic units on 2.4 hiluxes they worked fine. thats if your using original pipework still. if not id put it upside down as previously stated less restrictive

Mark 4
23-05-2011, 06:39 PM
No Craig, it's a welded one piece unit.

Humpty's Revenge
23-05-2011, 06:41 PM
Atik just be careful that all the air don't fall out upside down dude!/pan/help/pan/help

sabreuk
23-05-2011, 06:43 PM
ah ok. are you using pipework or you getting new stuff? reason being sell the evo fmic and maybe go for something like this.

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=400196367411&ssPageName=STRK:MEWAX:IT

headache kinda solved

The Vee
23-05-2011, 06:52 PM
Is it actually upside down? Just that have seen evo's with them as you're suggesting.

In fact you can just see it on this rather famous example.