PDA

View Full Version : engine prob

gambit_74
24-10-2004, 01:05 PM
have a problem with my G. its a 1998 2.0i gls. have the battery go flat so called the aa and they jump started it of a power pack but since that i have been have trouble with it. when i first start it runs ok for a while then the engine light comes on and loses power. took it in to mitsubishi and fault codes keep coming up ,this is what is on the invoice: ckeck for poor running and engine light on. carried out mut test, found fault code 44 ign sgnl erased code and road tested. fault reoccurred after 1.5 miles. followed fault code flow chart and swapped coils on cylinder 2 and 3. erased code, tested, fault reoccurred. changed plugs over and retested, fault reoccurred. checked injectors, incorrect voltage, checked ecu. found earthing fault to injectors 2&3 after 2 mins on pins 14 and 2. this is the good part. vehicle requires new ecu. they said it will cost £800. any ideas if it could be anything else. need help.

Rally205
24-10-2004, 01:54 PM
The diagnosis sounds spot on to me but you don't necessarily have to replace the ecu. If you send it off to an expert you could get it repaired for far less than £800. You may even be able to get a re-conditioned one if you look around. :-D
If it is an earth fault that occurs after a certain time then it is most likely a dodgy joint on the circuit board.

zentac
24-10-2004, 01:55 PM
Or find a scrap yard, there must be some 2ltrs about.

Rally205
24-10-2004, 01:56 PM
Try these guys
http://www.ecuexchange.biz/ ;)

wirdy
24-10-2004, 02:06 PM
Just to give you another option for repair, try this company - -Car Electronic Services (http://www.carelect.demon.co.uk/index.html)

An extract from their site:-

Mitsubishi and Suzuki Vitara common ECU failure symptoms

Due to design and manufacturing defects, Mitsubishi Electric engine management ECUs fitted to many Mitsubishi models (model years 1992-1999) plus Suzuki Vitara and Hyundai Sonata, are failing early in vehicle life. Click here to see photo of this ECU.

This problem is widespread and secondhand ECUs are impossible to locate with new ECUs usually on back order with main dealers. WARNING: ECUs for imported vehicles may not be available from UK or European dealers - if the ECU is damaged beyond repair the vehicle may be written off. Please refer to warning below - if you have any suspicions about your Mitsubishi ECU, please use our low-cost ECU inspection service - It is best to know as soon as possible if your ECU could be affected by this problem.

Common Symptoms

1) Erratic idle/stall at traffic lights/general poor running and starting problems which can be intermittent.
2) ONE injector ceasing to function.
3) Nonsense fault codes when code reader is connected.
4) Code reader will not communicate with the ECU.

If you have any of these symptoms it is vital that the ECU is attended to IMMEDIATELY as ANY delay can result in total loss of ECU. STOP USING THE CAR - REMOVE ECU TO STOP FURTHER DAMAGE. IF YOU HAVE TO MOVE CAR, PUSH IT! NEW ECUs COST OVER UK600.00!

Nige.

Spirit
24-10-2004, 02:07 PM
Yeah my brother got his ecu refurbished via his Rover dealer......for just £200 !

I would agree that this option or finding a scrapper is the best idea, not sure but it wouldn't suprise me if you had to get a new one that it would have to come from Japan so may take a few weeks :sad3: