PDA

View Full Version : Ignition lock wire

Atik
28-05-2011, 02:16 PM
When taking my dash apart while investigating my heater matrix issue, I came across this wire. I have learned that it is some kind of ignition lock and in one position the ignition barrel wont release the key.

Should this just be free under the carpet? Surely it needs to connect to somewhere. It was just curved behind the ignition barrel, round behind the pedals, under the carpet, and along the transmission tunnel carpet and ended up just near the handbrake.

And what it this plug? It, too, was not affixed to anything. Should it be bolted to one of the metal points near it?

Nick Mann
28-05-2011, 03:11 PM
It's a left over from the manual conversion. It should move as you slide the lever in and out of park. There is probably a way of removing it from the ignition barrel without it locking the key in too, but I have never found time to investigate how.

I can't tell what the plug is - could that be to the auto gear lever mechanism too? There is a plug for the tiptronic switches...

Humpty's Revenge
28-05-2011, 03:12 PM
Is your manual Atik? If yes this doesn't need to be connected to anything bud but if no then that's to stop you engaging gear without putting the foot on the brake peddle!

Got your pm how far have you got dude?

Atik
28-05-2011, 04:05 PM
In that case that's all good with me. Thanks Nick.

Yes, Steve, I've had a manual conversion done on my car so Nick's explanation has sorted that worry for me.

I haven't started the full dismantle of the dash yet. I have a few things to do today, so its a bit awkward. I'll be keeping the car off the road for the duration of the works, and will be looking to get the gauges fitted as well as the new intercooler.

Humpty's Revenge
28-05-2011, 04:12 PM
Righto, Ill reply to your pm very soon dude & if you pm me your email address Ill send you over some pictures of the dash, just remember to take out the 2 side vents which do the windows as there are 10mm bolt behind each.

peter thomson
28-05-2011, 08:25 PM
Thats the auto trans realy.It would have slide onto a bracket on the ecu carrier

Atik
28-05-2011, 09:40 PM
Ah right. Thanks Peter. I'll probably just tape it secure under there somewhere.

Would it cause any issues if I unplugged it right now? Not gonna do it, just curious.

peter thomson
28-05-2011, 11:33 PM
I wouldn't think it will cause any issues unless it throws up some weird fault code

psbarham
29-05-2011, 07:40 PM
you can unclip the cable from the bottom of the ign barrel no problem

Atik
29-05-2011, 09:23 PM
Excellent, thanks Paul. The dash is about 20% out now, so that will be one of the things I do when putting it all back together.

Atik
02-06-2011, 09:48 AM
Just to confirm for those that are interested, as per PSB's comment above, this wire can indeed be simply removed from the back of the ignition barrel. Its attached by a couple of small plastic clips. Thats some extra weight out of the car now :D