PDA

View Full Version : Do replacement windows match the old tint?

eyeballprawn
30-05-2011, 02:17 PM
I posted this over on OZVR4 earlier today and had a few views, but no replies.. perhaps someone here has had experience with this?

--

Has anyone here replaced a factory tinted window?

I'm wondering if the in-glass tint on newly sourced glass will match the existing windows on my facelift.

Also, do all the replacement Legnum rear-quarter cargo area windows come with the Diversity antenna already fitted?

Cheers.

Atik
30-05-2011, 03:29 PM
If the glass is ordered from Mitsi using the chassis number to reference the original specs, then yes, you should be able to get matching tints to the original.

Though, most VR4's came with the same rear tints, so you could probably get a perfect match from a breaker car?

Yup, all Legnums came with the rear quarter window antennae.

eyeballprawn
30-05-2011, 03:35 PM
Cool, good to know.

It's possible this window is going to smash during removal for respraying of the rear quarter panel, which is why I'm looking for info. Unfortunately sourcing one from a wreck isn't much of an option if that happens.

So I hope that the tint hasn't changed/faded over time on my car, or that Mitsubishi don't use a difference supplier now.

Atik
30-05-2011, 03:40 PM
You are looking to remove the rear cargo side windows? Eek! They shatter into a thousand pieces like the normal side glass, and they are bonded to the frame like the windshield. It'll be tough to remove without breaking, likewise, finding one from a breaker will be difficult to remove without breaking.

I'm contemplating the same for a respray, and am unsure what to do with that window.
Be cool to see how you get on and how you go about it.

eyeballprawn
30-05-2011, 04:10 PM
Yes, the painter uses a glass removal technician that will try his best to remove it without damage but doesn't guarantee it won't break. I think they use some type of vibrating wire tool. Even if it breaks, insurance has agreed to cover a replacement.

Humpty's Revenge
30-05-2011, 04:15 PM
You are looking to remove the rear cargo side windows? Eek! They shatter into a thousand pieces like the normal side glass, and they are bonded to the frame like the windshield. It'll be tough to remove without breaking, likewise, finding one from a breaker will be difficult to remove without breaking.

I'm contemplating the same for a respray, and am unsure what to do with that window.
Be cool to see how you get on and how you go about it.

I beg to differ:-

eyeballprawn
30-05-2011, 04:26 PM
Nice work Steve, was there any damage caused to the surrounding rubber moulding trim from the (I assume) sawing?

Humpty's Revenge
30-05-2011, 04:47 PM
Nice work Steve, was there any damage caused to the surrounding rubber moulding trim from the (I assume) sawing?

Thanks Dylan, we cut both rear quarter windows out within 3 hours. You have to be extremely careful because there are 3 clips that go throw the metal frame.

2 are by the door opening 1 top 1 bottom & a final one at the rear along the bottom. These clips are plastic & you have to cut throw them to get the glass out.

We used (see link) a very very very sharp knife/saw to gradually cut throw the sealant keeping an eye on the outside molding. "A BIG WORD OF WARNING THESE BLADES ARE FECKING SHARP"

Do not get your bodily parts anywhere near these as this will cut throw bone. The molding by the door as you can see from the picture has a void the other side of the sealant

Once you have got throw the sealant do not go any further because you will go through the molding. When we did the cutting we damaged nothing at all.

Below is the link & it's the knife right at the very bottom (Art. No. 0714 662 11) but these are for traders so I don't know if you can buy one out right?

http://www.wurth.co.uk/catalogue/pdfs/UK-CD_12_0816.pdf

eyeballprawn
30-05-2011, 04:52 PM
Those knives look evil! Thanks for the info and pic, I will pass it along to the painter and it will surely make the process a lot easier knowing what to expect.

Humpty's Revenge
30-05-2011, 04:53 PM
Those knives look evil! Thanks for the info and pic, I will pass it along to the painter and it will surely make the process a lot easier knowing what to expect.

Welcome dude & good luck

OH & yep that's what I said when I saw it!

Gly
30-05-2011, 08:34 PM
yep dont **** up the rubber moulding, you cannot purchase it as a separate part

eyeballprawn
02-06-2011, 06:26 AM
Welcome dude & good luck

OH & yep that's what I said when I saw it!

Just wondering, did you work from the outside of the car, or the inside, when cutting the window out?

Humpty's Revenge
02-06-2011, 08:55 AM
Just wondering, did you work from the outside of the car, or the inside, when cutting the window out?

From the inside bud, there is absolutely no way of cutting them out from the outside. Mine was easy because the car was gutted & they were the last things to come out.

Just remove everything you can from the inside to give you room & also not to cut throw or damage anything.