PDA

View Full Version : insurance claim question

oldgit9
31-05-2011, 09:17 PM
I’ve got an insurance question that hopefully, some one may be able to answer.

Basically, around this time last year, I had a small slow seed crash. I went into the side of a car, tuning into a junction when I was coming out of the junction. There was very little obvious damage to his car. Nothing a new door and drivers wing couldn’t have fixed. But the rest of the car was in a bad state of repair to begin with.

The other day, I contacted sky insurance via email (as im floating around off the coast of Libya and we’ve got v limited phone calls), a few email later, David (from sky insurance) informed me that the third party’s claim was for £2887. as you can gather, I was not happy. After a few more email to David and he directed me to a Mark from QBE who dealt with the claim. he finally replied to my emails and said that £1370 was paid out as the car was written off and the rest of the cost was for the hire car.

I have sent off another email to Mark and David asking how the hell could he charge £1517 for a hire car and why should I be paying for the period that the third party was using the hire car. Surely, he or his insurance should be footing that bill. Mark said, that they had to pay the third party to stop the price of the hire car from getting any hire, as his insurance were dragging out the claim.

So the question in hand, what are my legal rights here and is there any way I can reduce the amount that was claimed? And is there anything that I can do? As I see this as daylight robbery.

TAR
31-05-2011, 09:45 PM
A third party is entitled to claim for loss of transport if you are to blame BUT ONLY until the car is declared a write-off, at which point the claim should be settled for a value agreed by your insurance company. I assume that he only had 3rd party insurance, otherwise his insurance company would have been much quicker settling the claim. for a third party only insurance, the uninsured loss recovery policy kicks in and they will work to get the best deal possible for the claimant and this will usually involve putting the claimant back in the position he was in before the accident, whether by repair or replacement.

Hope that makes sense.

:happy:

andyleaves
03-06-2011, 03:52 PM
Similar situation, however I'm the one with the hire car...

The person who drove into the back of me, insurance co is paying for the hire car I currently have :D but only while mine is being repaired I would not expect to have the hire car the entire time...

On the same hand if the Ins Co. had deemed my baby a write off then I would not expect to have the hire car as soon as the claim was settled....