PDA

View Full Version : ignition barrel advice

sy666
01-06-2011, 11:10 PM
working on a small project at the mo, dont want to give too much info for security reasons but if needed can pm more details.

Need to know if its possible to remove the ignition barrel and steering lock perminantly and safely. Not having attempted to steal a car before not sure what to expect, and would rather not start something i can't finish.

Thanks in advance

Nutter_John
01-06-2011, 11:33 PM
Yes it is easy to do , just drill the two sheer bolts that hold the barrel mount on and it all comes off

Or just do what car thief scum do and use three foot of scaffold pole and snap the barrel off

But I would say your theft clause in your insurance would be void if you do it !!!

sy666
02-06-2011, 12:02 AM
ah, cheers John, think the drilling might be the best option :)

Will give sky a call tomorrow and see what they say, theroy would be less chance of theft if broken into but best check first.

jayp
02-06-2011, 05:51 AM
simon, before you permanently remove the steering lock it would be a good idea to get in touch with VOSA, I remember reading somewhere that the MOT standards are changing in 2012 and things like the steering lock are to become testable items. Plus as John said I dont think your insurance would be too impressed!